Anyone back from the Summit 8/3?

Cruiser Nonna

We are sailing next week and had a couple of questions that we were in hopes could be answered

1. Time that you embarked in Venice - suggestion of better timing?

2. Did you exchange US dollars to Euros on the ship and do you remember the exchange rate (we sailed last year on the Millie and it was not much of a difference so wondering about this year)

3. Do you recall the time that you could check with the Maitre'd on embarkation (since overnighting in Venice - not sure of his hours?)We are waitlisted for second dining and hoping to get it.

4. Shuttle to San Marco Square - times on first and second day and I believe it was $15 or $20 roundtrip each day - do you know if you have to purchase roundtrip?

5. Any other suggestions you would have for us?

Was hoping that maybe this information is readily available in your daily news onboard the ship and was kept - hopefully not too much trouble.

Thank you again for all your help!

We just flew back from Barcelona yesterday after completing this cruise. I can answer some of your questions.

We boarded the ship on Sunday, 8/3 about 12:30. We were in Concierge Class cabins so had no check-in line at all and about 5 minutes to get through security. The other check-in line didn't look too bad, but then it appeared they were giving out numbers and having people sit and wait, so can't really say how long they were waiting. The shuttle to St. Mark's Square was $20 for the day, no matter how often you rode it and ran every 20 minutes until 11pm. The next morning it ran from 8:30 to 1ish, I think. It was a boat that left from very close to the front of the ship and left you in a good central location in Venice. At $20, it's a bargain since water taxis are extremely expensive and you have limited options.

I had a few Euros on me prior to leaving NY and then got some more at an ATM in Venice (we arrived a couple of days prior to the cruise). Never used the FOREX on the ship, so can't speak to that.

Can't help with the maitre'd question - sorry. I do know that the later seating was very much in demand and many people were waitlisted. We know a few that were able to be accommodated.

Best suggestion is pace yourself...this was a very tiring itinerary. We enjoyed the stops very much, but the crowds and heat get to you. Also, choose your excursions carefully. They were very misleading about the intensity of walking, climbing, standing. Fine for us - in our 40's with two teenage kids, but difficult for my mom who was with us and some others with mobility issues.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thank you 42TRVL for the help - and WELCOME HOME - I am so impressed that you arrived yesterday and are able to function today!

We are staying in Venice night prior so were trying to do a "game plan" for embarkation day where we can still see as much as possible before going to the ship.

We were thinking of going later probably around 3PM - however - since we want to speak with the Maitre'd was hoping someone had kept the "Welcome Aboard" paper from their stateroom that listed his times on that first day so we could try to work this ot.

Thanks for the info on the shuttle - did you charge this to your onboard account? US Cash? Euros???

Was first evening - open seating for dinner?

Were the sea days the formal nights or was there a change? Also was there the ondeck buffet out of Athens?

Thanks again for all the help

Cruiser- I was on the BCN to VCE July 22 cruise.

While its in the opposite direction, Im staring at the Welcome Aboard daily right now(so sad...but i kept them all).

It says that the Maitre'D is in the Rendez-Vous Lounge portside, deck 4 noon till 10pm for anyone without a reservation card in their staterooms or anyone that has a question.

I am not sure if this would be the same but thats what Im reading and hope it helps.

Nora

Thanks for the welcome home. I'm surprised myself by the fact that I'm function, but in a way, it feels so restful to be home after all the traveling and running around we did.

Regarding your other questions. We decided to check in when we did so that we did not have to store luggage at the hotel and worry about our carry ons and valuables. We found it easiest to enjoy the morning, check out at noon (our hotel's check-out time) and take our things directly to the ship. By the time we got to the port and through the check-in process, our cabins were ready and we were able to offload our carry ons, lock valuables, have lunch and then head back out. I'm sorry I don't know when the maitre'd would be there to betther help you with your timing.

For the shuttle they took the number off our seapass card and charged the $20 U.S./person directly to our account.

I liked having a few Euros on me when we first arrived in Venice in case we needed to tip porters. I had exchanged some money at my bank here before we left. Once in Venice I used the ATM right by our hotel. I don't think that anywhere the exchange rate is going to be different by more than a few cents, so I would do whatever is most convenient for you.

I'm almost certain the first night was open seating, but we had stayed in Venice and met a friend for dinner so I was not too focused on it. The formal nights were rather oddly timed in my opinion. Only one was on a sea day - the second formal night on the second sea day. The first formal night was the night we left Dubrovnick, and the third formal night was the night we left Florence. This was a bit challenging for us early diners and resulted in a much less formal formal night. People were still neat, but I can't say that most were especially formal. It appeared to me that peope for the later seating were somewhat more formal. Just an observation and I think that having more time to prepare probably makes a difference. I'm not sure if the same schedule is followed on every cruise, so maybe yours will be different.

They did have the buffet on the pool deck - I think it was called Flava? and they requested people to wear white. Many did, but there was a good mix. I thought it was after our day in Santorini, but maybe it was Athens - definitely Greece, though...Sorry, I used to keep everything, but being that I work from home, I just can't handle any more paper than absolutely necessary so I no longer save the information from the ship.

Good luck with the preparations - I assume by the time you go, you will be fortunate enough to avoid the huge school break crowds we encountered. The ship was inundated with families/kids (we had our own, but they tend to the "quiet" and well behaved side - our ship had many who enjoyed running up and down halls all through the day/night shouting out to each other. Unfortunately, can't say that many of the adults with them were much better...). But the weather was great and will hopefully stay that way for you!

Thank you for all the help and responses.

In regards to the shuttle - last year as I am sure it is the same for this year - they picked us up at the ship and dropped us off very near St Marks. Some people did walk in (I think it was a good long walk) and others walked to public water taxi - I like what one person on the board had said - time is so short and I want the most direct route.

Times have changed, however, the first Med cruise I did was about 14 year ago and i was a complimentary water taxi from the ship to St Marks - but as always - times are changing

Thanks again for the input

Archived