Diving in B.C., Oregon or California in October (eek!)

MoneyGuy

We cruise from Vancouver Oct. 13-21 on Celebrity. We stop in Victoria, Seattle, Astoria Oregon, San Francisco, Monterey and San Diego. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for diving in mid to late October at those locations? Yes, I know it will be cold in places, but hey I'm Canadian. Cold is nothing to me. :D

Ideas???

My hubby and I did our open water dives in Monterey Bay. Yes, it is COLD! The kelp forests are interesting, but other than some starfish, there isn't much more to see if you're shore diving. You might experience more if you are able to book a boat dive, but Monterey Bay can get rough too. Visibility is not great- a good day in Monterey is something in the 20-25 ft range.

The one thing about water temperature is it isn't much colder in October than it is in July- you'll need to wear a 7 mil suit, (we wore a full suit under a shorty!) a hood, gloves, booties, etc. Expect water temps to be in the 50s.

If I were you, I'd dive in San Diego instead. More to see, warmer water (though still not warm like the Caribbean, obviously) and more options for dive sites. Depending on how much time you have in port, you have more options for dive sites by boat as well.

Have fun!

We cruise from Vancouver Oct. 13-21 on Celebrity. We stop in Victoria, Seattle, Astoria Oregon, San Francisco, Monterey and San Diego. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for diving in mid to late October at those locations? Yes, I know it will be cold in places, but hey I'm Canadian. Cold is nothing to me. :D

Ideas???

Are you going to Vancouver early? There is good diving there, but the better diving is over on Vancouver Island, which is a 2 hour ferry ride from Vancouver city. Nanaimo has several artificial reefs and some really fun regular dive sites.

Seattle has some decent shore diving and the visibility should have improved by then compared to the usual marginal summer vis. How long are you in Seattle? If you want to hook up with a local diver there, try asking on the Pacific Northwest section of Scubaboard If you give more information, I can be more specific with recommendations.

Just about all the people I know in Oregon go to the Puget Sound in Washington to dive locally, so you'll probably want to plan something else to do in Astoria.

Don't know about San Francisco, but Monterey has some good diving too, but I'm not a good source of info. I've never dived there.

San Diego has diving too. http://www.californiadiveboats.com/ should help you find a dive charter there.

Bruce, we aren't going to Vancouver early. Besides, it's a jaunt over to Nanaimo or over to the west side of the island where the best diving is. I will look into Monterey, however. I may check on Seattle or maybe San Diego, where the cruise ends. Thanks for the ideas thus far.

Archived