Live from Anchorage!

inkmahm

Just got here yesterday and today we are heading out to Whittier to do the Prince William Sound 26 glacier tour. It's another beautiful day! I'm still taking my layers with me, but I'm hoping the weather holds out and stays so nice.

Yesterday we did the Segway tour in Anchorage in our tshirts! Didn't need the jacket at all until the excursion was just about over. I highly recommend the Segway tour if anyone is still looking for things to do in Anchorage. It was a great way to get a tour of the downtown area and the water front. AND it was lots of fun!

For all of you who recommended Glacier Brewhouse, thank you! I had some of the best fresh halibut there last night and DH had wonderful fresh salmon. My inlaws enjoyed their halibut and pork chops, too. It was a great meal all the way around so I definitely agree with all the people who recommended it I'd add a suggestion to make your reservations ahead of time as the place is very very busy. I made our dinner reservations online before I even left home and we were seated within about 5 minutes last night.

Yesterday we took the bus to Whittier and did the 26 Glacier tour. It was great! We had beautiful sunshine or minimal clouds, definitely not a drop of rain all day. Amazing weather for Whittier! Saw Dall sheep very near the road on the way there. Lots of sea otters and seals while on the boat trip as well a several calving of the glacier moments. On the way back, we were stopped for construction and about 20 beluga whales went past us following the tide in. Our Magic bus driver said they were the first he's seen of the season...he had us looking for them in the morning but we did't spot them then.

Tried the famous (on here anyway) halibut cheeks at Simon and Siefort's last night. They were very good, but I still loved the halbut at Glacier Brewhouse better. The atmosphere at Simon and Siefort's was nicer though. We had a great view of the sunset over the water. This is the restaurant that includes Kincaid's in my area of the country. I was leery about going to a chain restaurant but the Anchorage locals on this board said it was a great place so we went. I'm glad we did. Simon and Siefort's has a separate fresh fish menu that we definitely do NOT have at Kincaid's. It was very very good! Make reservations online before you go. It was easy and we only had a 10 minute wait then for our booth with the great view.

Today we are off on the train to McKinley and it is supposed to be in the low 70's. Yay!

Glad you are having a great time and the weather is cooperating. Can you please save it for two weeks as that is when we will be there.

Can you tell me where you picked up the segways??? And the cost?

We will definitely going to Glacier for halibut (my favorite) and also to Simon's did you have halibut there also???

Hope you have a great time on the remainder of your trip.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the weather.

pat

Glad you are having a great time and the weather is cooperating. Can you please save it for two weeks as that is when we will be there.

Can you tell me where you picked up the segways??? And the cost?

We will definitely going to Glacier for halibut (my favorite) and also to Simon's did you have halibut there also???

Hope you have a great time on the remainder of your trip.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the weather.

pat

The segways are off 4th ave and E street. They were $65 each for the 2 1/2 hours. Very much worth it. You see lots of city sites and have a great time while doing it. By the end, we could have had our segways on top speed but we were comfortable at 8 mph and didn't need to move to 12 mph. The tour starts at 5 pm.

Yes, i also had halibut at Simon's and again last night at the Princess MicKinley. Glacier Brewhouse is way ahead of the rest so far. at Simon's it was actually halibut cheeks that i had. Very good, but it will take a lot to top the meal at Glacier Brewhouse.

Weather yesterday was beautiful! I heed to start another thread for it.

Archived