does anybody snorkel in Cozumel?

FranciscoFamily

Snorkeling is "Great" in Cozumel. We have only been there once, tried ZulHa, which is highly recommended, but the waters were too rough. Our second option of Chankanaub Park proved to be the best. The snorkeling there was easy, easy access off the rock steps and plenty of great sights. I'm told that some of the reefs are even better, which I'm sure you'll get more response on this thread. We like the "close to shore" snokeling which makes Chankanaub an easy pick. The Rock formations run right along the waters edge for a good length of the waterfront. There is a walk in beach area too. Of course, there is the Dolphin experience, Nature trail and so much more there. There are plenty of chairs and drinks to go around as well.

Rick

Chankanaab. Ahhhh. I have nothing to compare to, but I had my first snorkeling experience last year at Chank. Oh my! Loved every minute - once I got over my fear.;) Beautiful - I was surrounded by fish of all kinds and colors, the reef was pretty, as were the underwater statues. I was in heaven-under-the-sea! I'll be back there in about ten days, and can hardly wait.

Well, if the water's choppy, not much anybody can do -- but Dzul Ha on a good day is top-notch, and a lot cheaper than Chankanaab. There is no entry fee, and you can rent equipment across the street at PalMar Beach Estate for $8 per person.

see this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=91125

Apparently we're not the only ones to prefer Dzul Ha -- while we were enjoying a post-snorkeling visit to PalMar, we watched several snorkel tour boats pull up to the spots we'd just been snorkeling.

I have been to Chankanaab about 4 times and did scuba 2 times there. It was ok if you have never done it before. Last visit on 9/29 I snorkeled at Dzul Ha and it was great. It is rated the #1 snorkel spot for just doing it from the shore. I am returning in a few weeks and plan to do Dzul Ha again, if it is not choppy. I brought my own gear so it cost me nothing. Once you've snorkeled at Dzul Ha, you will not want to return to Chankanaab.

We did not get to see much at Dzul Ha because of the rough waters and due to the fact that the current was pulling you downshore. I wish we could have seen more there, however, I ask the question for you that have been able to do them both.. Isn't Chankanaub better for the novice? I ask for the benefit of the newbies checking out the boards. I tend to be a bit more adventurous but when alone, it is a bit frightful to be too far off shore.

Rick

FransiscoFamily...Dzul-Ha would be your best shore snorkel in Cozumel, but THE best overall snorkeling can be found offshore at Columbia and Palancar reefs. You'll have to take a boat to get there, but it's well worth it!! Do a search for Eagle Ray Divers or Mayan Paradise Tours, a couple of highly recommended outfits providing excursions to those reefs. Have a great vacation!

FransiscoFamily...DTHE best overall snorkeling can be found offshore at Columbia and Palancar reefs. You'll have to take a boat to get there, but it's well worth it!!

Thanks Tom!

We've already got a trip planned with Wahoo tours I was just nervous 'cause you never read about snorkeling in Cozumel, it's always about going to the beach. I wanted to make sure the snorkeling was good.

Thanks everyone!

cjalphonso ~ Great pics!! I agree Dzul Ha area is the best snorkeling...on any given day I count 3-5 snorkel tour boats in the same area ~ must be kind of disheartening for them to see the people doing the same snorkeling from the shore FOR FREE!!

betsyrossapk ~ Dzul Ha area is less than a mile past the El Presidente Hotel. I think sometimes people get lost (if they are going on their own) because you have to get off of the new highway, veer to the right and get on the old highway to get there. The turnoff is right past the police check point and there is signage over the road that says Dzul Ha....that's where you go towards the right and take the old road.... Don't turn right or you will end up at the marina, just ease over. You will almost immediately pass the Presidente hotel once you are on the old highway and you will be there in no time. If you look to your left, there is a 3 story white house with a huge pool in front with fountains behind a gated area. That is PalMar Estates Beach Club and right past that on the right is Dzul Ha Beach Club. Either Beach has shore entry for snorkeling.

betsyrossapk...on the old highway you'll see (hopefully!) the MOTHER of all speedbumps! When ya get there, take a look towards the ocean. You won't see much of it 'cause of the bar/restaurant/deck/souvenir stand/parked cars/lockers/waiters/whatever that is blocking your view. Congrats!! You've arrived at Dzul-Ha. Now park, and go snorkel!! snorkel.gif

Archived