Debarkation in San Diego question

arb711

Going on Elation 5-day out of San Diego (in 4 days!!!!:D ). I live in LA, so I'm taking the train down. My question is about timing, scheduling the train, particularly for debarkation but actually for both directions - here's the situation:

- Going south, I can take the following trains:

lv 8:30 arr 11:20

lv 9:40 arr 12:25

lv 11:10 arr 1:55

I'm thinking the middle one? Any opinions??

- Coming back north, here's my question: If I'm in the last group off the ship, what time is that, and given customs and all, which train is safe to book?

lv 9:30

10:50

12:00

Thanks in advance for your help - Cruise Critic folks are the best!

Going to San Diego, I would take the train that arrives the earliest. If it gets to San Diego ontime, you should get to the pier around the time they begin boarding. Plus the earlier you go the more leeway you have for any delays.

Going on Elation 5-day out of San Diego (in 4 days!!!!:D ). I live in LA, so I'm taking the train down. My question is about timing, scheduling the train, particularly for debarkation but actually for both directions - here's the situation:

- Coming back north, here's my question: If I'm in the last group off the ship, what time is that, and given customs and all, which train is safe to book?

I would leave Los Angeles on the 8:30am and return on the 9:40am train, but if you have to pre-purchase these tickets then go for the noon one just to make sure the ship makes it back on time.

Fred

I'm in the same boat, but i just decided to drive down, and find a parking lot to park for 12 days.

A better idea for you would have been to arrive a day earlier, and check into a local hotel, and just get shuttled in. Or maybe even better since you don't know what time you will eventually debark, stay at a local hotel to unwhind, and leave by train the next day.?

I would take the earliest one to SD as they start to board about the time you would get to the ship. On the way back I would pick the middle one (10:50). The train is only a five minute walk from the dock and you should be off in plenty of time.

DaveOKC

For the train back you should not need a reservation ahead of time. We take the train between LA and SD and points in between and if it is not a holiday you should be fine showing up at train station and buying ticket on the spot. Be at least 15 min early on each trip to line up for boarding though. Confirm with train but I believe if you buy a ticket for the return and don't make it on time they will let you go on the next train with no problem.

Jen

The pacific coastliner runs pretty much like clockwork. Once south of camp pendelton, they share track space with the commuter train into SD from the north counties -- the Coaster. So, they have to keep it pretty timely. (There is only one rail in parts of the run from Oceanside to SD, so it's a complicated ballet to keep everthing scheduled and it keeps Amtrak in line.) So, I think you'd be fine with any of the three trains. I'd probably take the second. As others have mentioned, Santa Fe depot is a very short walk to the pier, or a cab ride of perhaps a minute. If it's a Sunday, though, there's no commuter train and it's a little more loosey goosey and delays are a bit more common.

On the way back, I can't imagine you'll have any trouble with a walk up ticket.

Thanks to all, that gives me a better idea of how it will go.

Southbayer, I have friends who lives pretty near Union Station, so I'm going to park my car at their house and either get a ride or a cab to the station. You're right, it's an easy drive, but I love trains, so it feels like I'll be starting my vacation a few hours earlier! (and maybe getting in one extra nap....)

Archived