Santorini

Got Dubrovnik done, now I'm working on all of my notes on Santorini. We will be there on 11/12/2008 & there will be 1 other ship in port. Ship arrives at 7am & departs at 5pm. After reviewing all the info, I only have the following question left. Will find out when we get there, but just curious because I've seen conflicting photos.

Is the up/downward climb in a "cable car" (free hanging from a cable above the car), or in a funicular (attached to a track located on the side of the hill/mountain/cliff)? Strangely, I've seen both descriptions. I've also seen both types in photos. One posted on CC in a trip review which shows a funicular. But on the Santorini tourist site, is a photo of a cable car??? Are there 2 different kinds there?

I've grabbed every bit of info I could find from CC posts, but any suggestions, info, remarks about Fira & Oia will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello again.

We loved Santorini, to die for.

I honestly dont know the difference between cable car and funicular.

We rode donkeys up, it was a hoot. Took the cable car down.

We had a private tour with Santorini Day tours but if I had it do to over again I would have just toured on our own.

My humble advice- take an early tender, get up to Fira and find either a taxi or the bus to go to Oia.

Go to Oia first as limited taxis and crowded buses.

We found the bus station just walking around killing time waiting for our tour to start. 5 or 10 minute walk from the cable car. A few streets to the left, just ask where it is.

Buses are packed, but I hear that is half the fun.

Spend time in Oia which has to be the most beautiful place in the world. Walk along the cliffside properties, take in the views.

At the end of the day walk around Fira a little bit, see the views, it is nice but nothing like Oia.

Our tour guide took us to a black sand beach in Perissa and to a winery. The beach was OK. The winery was busy with cruise ship people and no tours that day. Pretty views and photo ops. These destinations were not that great. We had lunch waterfront in another area that had big wave action, I dont remember the name.

In our opinion, Oia is the place.

We have been to Santorini twice. It is a cable car! The first time we did a tour. it was a very good introduction to the island and we really enjoyed our day. Last month, we returned to Santorini and elected to 'do our own thing'. We went up the cable car and caught a taxi to Oia. Please note that if many ships are in port that you will have to be aggressive to flag down a taxi (even at the taxi stand!!!). In any event, Oia is amazing. Just go and wander around the town, have lunch (pay to have a great view - absolutely worth the price) and return to Fira at your leisure. An incredible day!! Enjoy.:)

you get six in each car and its 4 euro each way

because of the crowds for the cable car we bought a boat trip to the volcano on the queyside as we got off the tender that set off immedietly

we were suprised to see people from our ship on this boat that had bought a ships excursion

the cost of the boat trip to the volcano and the hot (luke warm) springs was around 30 euro, the ships tours had paid much more than this

when we got back from the spings the cable car queue(line) had gone it was then easy to go up into town

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563665541ggCJsB

the santorini pctures are in black and white i had the wrong setting in the camera

Good Morning,

It really depends on how many ships are in port that will dictate how many people are in a cable car. Six is the capacity however. The person operating will look at the crowd(hopefully) and ask how many are in your party and then they tell you to move down or up depending on the direction you are going. We were always a party of 4 and they never put us with anyone nor did I see it happening with others. Again however, we were the only people in port that day and while there where lines...we never really waited more than 10-15 minutes if that. The two benches face each other with space for three people per bench.

Nora

I blogged from our cruise on Galaxy last year which visited Santorini. Here's my report for that day, which touches on the cable-car:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/2007/06/29/day-8-santorini/

I also posted some pictures on another website, to which Cruise Critic no longer permit links! So here'a link to a page in my blog on which you can find the link to my pictures. You need to click on the 'Santorini/Cablecars' link:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/resources/picture-urls-on-cruise-server/

We were there in April and used Ocean waves tours. The have a web site. We shared a van with 6 other ship passengers that we arranged on cruise critic. Great experience. Our guide took us all over the island and asked what we wanted to see. Very knowledgeable and a really nice person. Had a great day. We also took the cable car both ways. A couple of people from our ship took the steps or donkeys. Said it was ok, but one said she didn't like having to walk in the donkey mess. Have a wonderful time.

How nice! Thanks everyone for such great responses. The pictures are beautiful & the ones of the cable cars really helped. Much prefer a funicular, but looks like cable cars it is! Sure not going to do the donkeys or walk in the donkey dung!

ry%3D320

We only went down since we took a tour bus for a winery tour from the dock. There really wasn't a line going down, so we got one for just the two of us. I guess you could fit 6 if you didn't mind being really close to everyone. I would say that 4 would be the max for comfort.

Archived