Spa Question

Woodmnky

I had a treatment involving a float while on the Summit in March. The treatment room had a table that looked like a regular massage table, with a large piece of foil on top. As I recall, the massage therapist rubbed my body with Ginger Lime exfoliant, then wrapped the foil around me like a coccon. Then she pushed a button and I could hear air releasing under me.

Apparently, the table was actually filled with water and the surface I was laying on had been supported by air-filled floats. Once the air was out, I was floating, but the water was not touching my skin. As best I can describe, there was a solid plastic sling/hammock between me and the water. It was a strange sensation, but not unpleasant at all. While I floated, the therapist gave me a scalp massage. (Only my head and feet were outside the foil wrap.)

When it was time to shower off the exfoliant, she pushed a button and the air whooshed back into the floats. I was again on a flat, solid, surface on top of the table. I showered off, and the process was repeated with some sort of oil/moisturizer, foil wrap, float, and a foot massage.

It was an interesting new experience, but I find a traditional massage more relaxing, I think. Sorry, I don't know if this service is offered on the Infinity.

Gosh, I can't remember the exact name, but it was advertised as one of their "signature" treatments. At the time of our cruise, it was not possible to pre-book individual services, only packages of several services. It is my understanding that, even if you pre-book packages on-line, you still have to fight the crowd to make your specific appointment times for the services.

Which reminds me of something that I learned on this cruise: I booked all of my spa treatments for times when the ship was in port and DH would be off the ship scuba diving. (I did recieve a modest discount for booking while in port.) Cancellation policy is 24 hours. One evening I received a flyer of "Port Specials" advertising a service appearing to be identical to the one I had booked for a much lower price. I called the spa the next morning and asked if my service would be discounted to the price advertised.

The conversation went something like this:

"Hello, I see that you have discounted the Exotic Lime and Ginger Salt Glow treatment that I am scheduled to have at 10 am. Will you be reducing the price of my service to the advertised price?"

"Oh, no. Our advertised special is for the Exotic Ginger and Lime Salt Glow, which is not the same thing at all."

"Hmm, I don't understand. Both include the ginger-lime salt exfoliation, foot and scalp massages, body wraps and floats, but they're not the same thing?"

"Oh, no, totally different service."

"Well, may I please change the service I am scheduled to have to the one that is on sale today?"

"You could do that, but we would have to cancel the original appointment, which is subject to a cancellation charge, then re-book and charge you for the new service."

At this point, I decided that I was getting way too stressed for someone on vacation and dropped it.

Having said all this, I really can't suggest that you wait until the extra-special sales are advertised to book your treatments, because you might not be able to get an appointment at a time convenient to you. It's probably better to go ahead and book when you first board, but to be aware that the situation I described might happen to you, too!

Have fun, and don't let yourself get as stressed over things as I did :)

Archived