My itinerary for the day, need approx. cab money to stick in my back pocket!

Izzy Bee

Don't wanna spend my cash and be looking for a ATM, etc for cab fare so I would appreciate help in this...

We will be (according to the new Carnival itineray) in Cozumel 7AM to 6PM on Nov. 12th. That is, unless we are allowed to stop in Grand Cayman.

I have read PB opens at 9AM..so that puts a kink in my plans for starting early. Guess I will look around some at the shops by the pier, if they are open..

So, my here are my plans for the day and I would like to know about how much cash to stick in my back pocket for cab fares..Starting at Puerta Maya pier...

1st stop...Paradise Beach to parasail, sip drinks and just hang around for a while.

2nd stop..Mr. Sancho's (gotta use my free coupon for a Margarita)

3rd..Mezacalito (gotta get my photo taking at the Nude Beach sign and use my coupon for my free slammer cocktail)

4th..Cinco soles to shop

5th..Chedraui..(is this within walking distance from Cinco/Panchos Backyard?? I will get my RX's and vanilla here)

6th..and final resting place, Carlos and Charlies..

Coupons found at cozumelinsider.com

Thanks all!!

Ooooooookay. IF you go with your game plan, here are your cab fares:

(all fares are for up to 4 passengers)

Pier to PB: $12-13

PB to Mr. Sancho's: at least $5 (not exactly a free margarita, is it?)

MS to Mescalito's: at least $15 (not exactly a free slammer, is it?)

Mescalito's to Cinco Soles: $19

CS to Chedraui: $2-5

Chedraui to Carlos 'n' Charlie's is about a half mile walk

Back to the ship: either walk or $4 depending on where you are docked

Total cab fare is at least $53, possibly as much as $67

May I suggest an alternative?

Go to PB as early as you like. You can plunk down before they open, no problem. Cab fare is $12-13. Head to Chedraui for Rx and vanilla. Cab fare: $13. On to Cinco Soles for shopping. Cab fare: $2-5. Shop your way back to Carlos 'n' Charlie's. If you are docked at Punta Langosta, walk to your ship, otherwise another $4 in cab fare. Total fare: $27-35. In other words, your freebies at Mescalitos and Mr Sancho's will cost you an additional $20-30 in cab fares.

Whatever you decide... enjoy your day in Cozumel!

I've been to Cozumel about 10 times in the last 4 years, and will be there again, next week, but I have never heard of Chedraui??? What is it????? Where is it??? I also want to hit a *pharmacia*, and I know that there's one at the Puerta Maya pier, but odds are that we will be docking at International, and I don't recall a pharmacy there...

CozSally, you are so helpful. Forget the freebies with cab fare that high!!! I will go your route..!! Thanks!!!

Here are quotes from fellow CC members on Chedraui:

Chedraui is a grocery store/Pharmacy located near the Punta Langosta pier..

(4 blocks away)

"If you are interested in getting pure vanilla in Cozumel you might want to try a store called Chedraui. This is pronounced shay dra wee. It is as close to a Wal Mart as you can find in Coz. The is store is located about four blocks south of downtown and the Punta Langusto dock. You will see the police station and it is directly across the street and on the east side of Melgar St. We purchased a 1ltr bottle for less than $2 USD."

" The pharmacy at the grocery store Chedraui does accept credit cards"

"I've found that if you're looking for Tequila, Kahlua or Vanilla - try the local supermarkets - especially Chedraui (across from Plaza Las Glorias - 3 blocks from Punta Langosta). They have Kahlua available right now for about $8 US a bottle - cheapest on the island."

We are arriving on November 8th on the Century. Not sure which pier we'll be at...maybe International?? We want to hit Paradise Beach first, then the following places, Los Cincos Sol, possibly the hammock guy near Zermat bakery, Chedraui for vanilla, and possibly mini golf. After Paradise Beach what would be the best order to hit these various places....can we walk between any of them? Don't want to take taxis and end up only going a couple of blocks!! Thanks for your help.

thank you, Sally, Izzy, and Tom... The last time I docked at International, there was NOT a pharmacy there (either 2000, or 2001). Worse comes to worst, I'll probably take a trip downtown to show my friends around, who have never been to Coz, and I can get what I need, there. Funny thing about Chedraui... I remember it now. Last time I was there (Nov 03), We hopped in a taxi to go downtown, and a local hopped in and asked to be dropped off there. I thought it was just a grocery store!

And for anyone else out there reading this... regarding the vanilla... wherever you buy it, make sure that it states clearly on the bottle that it contains *NO* coumarin!!!!!

Vanclan, the best order for you would almost be as you listed:

1. PB

2. Cinco Soles by cab

3. Walk to hammock guy across from Zermat (3-4 blocks)

4. Walk to minigolf (4-5 blocks)

5. Short taxi to Chedraui

6 Taxi to International or Puerta Maya pier, or walk to Punta Langosta pier

Hope that helps!

Health information provided by Mayo Clinic

Question:

I've heard that coumarin in vanilla is dangerous. Is this true?

Carol / Oregon

Answer:

Coumarin — an extract from tonka beans, sweet clover and other plants — has an anticoagulant action that may cause bleeding problems. A number of derivatives of coumarin, such as warfarin (Coumadin), are used as anticoagulant medications. Because coumarin tastes and smells like vanilla, some manufacturers in some countries mix coumarin from tonka beans with pure vanilla, to extend the expensive real vanilla extract.

Pure vanilla extract and artificial vanilla substitutes that are approved for sale in the United States are coumarin-free. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) prohibits the sale or use of foods containing coumarin in the United States. Also, the FDA maintains a list of manufacturers in other countries who have made vanilla products with coumarin. Coumarin in Mexican vanilla has been a recurring problem for many years.

Zydecocruiser--thanks for the info. I recognized the drug name as we know it as coumadin-but had no idea why it would be showing up in vanilla. Now I know what to watch for!!

Sally thanks for the help....it's great to have help like this. Shall I continue to leave your brochure holders at Paradise Beach as planned-or should I drop them at mini golf? The big question re mini golf is a time one-if we don't go to Cayman we'll have more time in Cozumel. And about how long does it take to play a round of golf....I know it depends on your skill and players ahead of you....but what should we budget time wise???

Van Clan: It takes about an hour to play a round of minigolf... more or less depending mostly on beverage consumption! Dropping my brochure holders at the minigolf would be easier for me, but if you decide at the last minute to skip minigolf, then maybe PB would be a better drop off location.

It's a pleasure to help,

Turn your bottle of vanilla to the side and look for:

No contiene cumarina

coumarine-free

It is usually written in red..I have never had a problem finding vanilla with this label..

I use the brand that has a yellow/orange label with Palapa Vainilla and a family crest on the front and it is wonderful!

Ooooooookay. IF you go with your game plan, here are your cab fares:

(all fares are for up to 4 passengers)

Pier to PB: $12-13

PB to Mr. Sancho's: at least $5 (not exactly a free margarita, is it?)

MS to Mescalito's: at least $15 (not exactly a free slammer, is it?)

Mescalito's to Cinco Soles: $19

CS to Chedraui: $2-5

Chedraui to Carlos 'n' Charlie's is about a half mile walk

Back to the ship: either walk or $4 depending on where you are docked

Total cab fare is at least $53, possibly as much as $67

May I suggest an alternative?

Go to PB as early as you like. You can plunk down before they open, no problem. Cab fare is $12-13. Head to Chedraui for Rx and vanilla. Cab fare: $13. On to Cinco Soles for shopping. Cab fare: $2-5. Shop your way back to Carlos 'n' Charlie's. If you are docked at Punta Langosta, walk to your ship, otherwise another $4 in cab fare. Total fare: $27-35. In other words, your freebies at Mescalitos and Mr Sancho's will cost you an additional $20-30 in cab fares.

Whatever you decide... enjoy your day in Cozumel!

CozSally - I was reading that Paradise Beach and Mr Sanchos are right next to each other, could we walk from one to the other to avoid another cab fare? If so about how long of a walk do you think it is?

Yes, I meant to go back and clarify that piece, thank you for bringing it up. Paradise Beach and San Francisco Beach are right next door to eachother. Mr. Sancho's is down the street a ways... I'm guessing about a mile. Yes, you can walk it. You may ask why it's so much for a taxi to go a mile. The taxi drivers waiting at PB are expecting a fare of at least $12 to get someone back to their pier. Asking them to drive a mile will not win you any points, as then they have to get back in line and wait again after they drop you off. They will charge you whatever they think they can get away with, and I very much doubt it will be less than $5.

Hope that helps,

*Chuckle* Cinco Soles is a large store that has everything Mexican. It's a restored Spanish style mansion, and each room features something different. You can get jewelry, paper maiche, ceramics, glassware, wood sculptures, pewter, t-shirts, clothing, liquors, furniture, not to mention Cozumel knick knacks, and more! I don't think I've ever seen shoes there, though...

CozSally, would I be able to get some jewelry at Cinco Soles for 3 early teens for Christmas presents? I'm thinking bracelets or something along those lines? Do you have any idea how much I would be spending? Or do you have suggestions of another place to pick up these kinds of items?

We're doing a 3 reef dive and I'm hoping to get in shopping afterwards since we're scheduled to be there until midnight. Although I'm sure the shops aren't open that late!

Thanks! I'll be there next Wednesday! Woohoo!

Absolutely, pugsrcute! Cinco Soles will have a very nice variety of silver. You can get bangles for a dollar, intricate necklace/bracelet sets for much more. I saw some beautiful silver filigree earrings last time I browsed there, about 3 weeks ago, for about $10.

Izzy Bee ~ just a tip for your taxi fares. Bring ones and fives ~ mostly small bills as the drivers don't ever seem to have change for any larger bills and I have seen people stopping from place to place trying to get their 20's or 100 dollars bills changed for smaller ones... What a waste of time.

Also you had mentioned a stop at Mezcalitos ~ that is on the windward side of the island.. you know if you have been there before. You can continue South from Paradise and hit the Rasta/Freedom Paradise Bar if you are interested in spending any time on the other side of the island. It still won't be a cheap taxi ride, but cheaper than Mezcalitos.

The more I think about, the more confused I get..but anyway, I am considering going back to plan A..as maybe someone else from our group will want to go with me and then we could split the taxi fare. I have never been to the windward side of the island and have never seen the lighthouse either..so...guess I will go...

Archived