Driving on the left?

Linkslady

It can be done! It is kinda tricky though and you will have to be paying attention..lol. I was there for a week and never got comfortable with it. The main thing that helps is #1, its easy to follow traffic and do what the guy in front does and #2, if theres no traffic, theres no pressure that youre gonna mess it up. Seriously, you'll be fine..its a right brain left brain kinda thing.

Rick

Thanks for the info! We've been to GC several times (on cruises) but were always leary of trying the "left" !! I have been looking at rental cars and some of them you can rent with the steering wheel on the right and some are on the left side... hmmmm left brain, right brain thingy again!

Hi,

I would not get a car with the steering wheel on the left if I were driving on the left. I found it a lot easier to adjust when Everything was backward. You just cannot ever let those automatic responses kick in. You have to always be aware and look both ways.

Su

I have driven in both GC and Australia on the left and had no problems. As long as you concentrate, especially when turning onto another road you should be fine. I have to admit the worst problem I had in both places was getting into the wrong side of the car to drive...you try to look like you MEANT to do this...casually getting back out and going to the otherside. YIKES!

I have driven all around Ireland w/o any problems but I agree you do have to concentrate, especially when turning onto another road or pulling into traffic from a parking lot. I also have to agree about frequently getting into the car on the wrong side--that's embarrassing.

Here in the states we have to be extra careful when making a left hand turn across a couple of lanes of traffic if there is no stop light. Well, there, it is the opposite. You have to be extra careful when you are making a right hand turn across traffic! If you are really insecure about making the transition, don't rent a car. Causing an accident or injuring yourself or someone else would sure spoil a trip. It is not to be taken lightly.

Thanks for all the advice! This is why I posted the question because I am not sure we're up to the change ! I am on vacation to relax, not stress over driving around!!! Besides, I would be the navigator and hubby would be driving - we can barely navigate Houston so I don't know how we could manage GC!

Archived