Need advice on how to dress baby for Alaskan cruise in September

annimal

Going to Alaska on RC's Serenade, September 6 departure with my 9 month old. Anyone have suggestions on how to dress baby (what kind of layers) for this cruise? What is the room temp like in the cabins during the day and evening and around the ship (indoors)? I've heard that this year has been a bit cooler than normal. How should I dress the baby for Icy Straight, Skagway and Juneau as well?

Thanks!

Going to Alaska on RC's Serenade, September 6 departure with my 9 month old. Anyone have suggestions on how to dress baby (what kind of layers) for this cruise? What is the room temp like in the cabins during the day and evening and around the ship (indoors)? I've heard that this year has been a bit cooler than normal. How should I dress the baby for Icy Straight, Skagway and Juneau as well?

Thanks!

We took our 10-month old 2 years ago and are taking him again with his 9-month old sister in 2 weeks!

Inside the ship you probably want to keep the baby in long pants and a long-sleeve shirt, that is what we did. At dinner they can pretty much wear whatever, but you probably want to stay with long pants and long-sleeve shirt. It is not cold inside but with outside doors opening, etc. it can get cool in the public areas. You should be able to adjust the temperature in your room.

We did not go to Icy Straight or Skagway, but we did go to Glacier Bay for scenic cruising. We dressed him in long pants and long-sleeve shirt, plus a sweatshirt, and we had him in a ski-bib and a ski jacket when we went out to the front of the ship for pictures. The wind can kick up and make it very cold. Don't forget blankets!

In Juneau we went whale watching and on the boat he wore a sweatshirt and ski bib. The rest of the day he just wore sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt and maybe a sweatshirt. At our other stops he wore long pants and a shirt with a sweatshirt.

Hope this helps. Cruising with the baby can be lots of fun! We are so glad we took our son 2 years ago and can't wait to take both of our kids this year.

Thanks RandonIam! Looks like we are sailing at the same time. At night, did you put your son in regular footed pajamas (like cotton, etc.)? I was planning to bring a couple fleece footed pjs but I'm wondering if the cabin might get too hold for fleece...

I'd definately take a fleece bunting snowsuit type thing - some of them have extra flaps to flip over to cover both feet and hands if it is cold. I think it can be cold in the evenings, up on deck if you are sighseeing, and on port excursions depending on what you do. Just like for adults, layers is important, might be chilly in the morning but then get pretty warm midday.

My doctor told me once to dress a baby the way you would dress. It was good advice and I think of it everytime I see a heavily wrapped baby on a warm summer day.

There was nothing warm about Glacier Bay on the front of the ship!

I do remember in Juneau it was cold in the morning on our whale watching trip, but we went up the Mt. Roberts Tram in the afternoon and it got quite warm. The jackets came off and jeans and a long-sleeve T seemed very hot after hiking up some of the trails.

Just keep an eye on the weather. Some days can get warm depending on what you're doing. Sounds like it is still pretty cold this year though.

We are bringing a baby bunting this time for our 9-month old. If we can get our 2-year old to wear anything more than a long sleeve T I will be pleasantly surprised!

We did not need footed pajamas in the room last time, but are bringing a pair this year just in case.

Archived