Hurricane Threat, what happens?

FMCowboy

Lyncruiser,

Read post #10 above. Our cruise was FIRST affected by Frances 9/05/04, yours got it from Jeanne 9/26/04. While you were in that hotel, we were having 8 feet of roof ripped off the north side of our house, along with the entire gable end. The master bedroom and another bedroom were totally destroyed. Also 4 feet of roof on the south end was torn away and the living room and kitchen were also destroyed. We had boarded up in preparation but did not lock up and leave until about 6 hours before the storm hit. The reason we waited so long? We, the US Weather Bur. the local stations, RCCL, and even Jim Cantore didn't KNOW what the storm was going to do. Not to make excuses for RCCL [since I'm a Carnival cheerleader] but MOST of the time the weather people might just as well be giving us the raspberries. The cruiselines have to decide what to do about a port with little HARD fact. At sea they have their own equipment and the ability to out run a storm.

Dan

They can't give you an answer until they know themselves. Anything they told you other than at this time this is what is currently scheduled would only be speculation.

Oh I know, it wasn't exactly what she said that bothered me, it was the rudeness. She just sounded like a machine reading canned answers instead of like a person with some empathy :rolleyes:

Oh I know, it wasn't exactly what she said that bothered me, it was the rudeness. She just sounded like a machine reading canned answers instead of like a person with some empathy :rolleyes:

I would have sounded the same. No, it is not from not caring. Those same people have family and friends in the same spot. They need to keep it from becoming personal. The "canned" answers are there for a reason. What do you want them to say? Let's see. How about "I am really afraid of the storm." Does that sound professional to you? They are dealing with that same storm. Their children are not with them. Their homes may be flooded, or blow away. They are on the phone talking to you. They need to keep their jobs and feed their children. They do care.

No, I don't do that for a living - and never did.

A Hurricane Question about Insurance:

We live in Boynton Beach, FL. What happens if we are unable to fly to Newark to catch the Explorer in Sept? Does insurance pay if you miss the ship and airplane due to a hurricane? We're pretty sure the Explorer won't be affected, just thinking about the consequences and a bit worried.

Thanks,

Dorothy

The answer to your question will be found in the insurance policy. Just read it all, your question will be answered. Each policy is different.

Lyncruiser...I can very much relate to how you must have been feeling. I too have taken my elderly parents ( 82 and 91 yrs old) on a cruise and the responsibility of doing that within itself during optimal conditions can be quite taxing let alone under those of which you have described. Thank God you all made it through safe and sound! Tisk, tisk on RCCL for what they put you through. I must say this was an eye opener to all the other reviews, I was getting rather relaxed about cruising during hurricane season, time to get back into reality mode as there is a flip side to every coin.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind words, Lady D. Yes, traveling with elderly parents is a huge responsibility under the best of circumstances.

And, for those who say, what can a cruise line do when even the weather service can't predict where a hurricane will land? For example, one poster said his house was being torn apart by Jeanne while we suffered through Jeanne in Miami. Fine, he can't move his house. But, RCCL can take their lumps -- and their loss -- and offer a re-booking option much earlier than RCCL offered one to us. In my opinion, they just didn't want to do so until absolutely forced by circumstances, because they didn't want to lose a week's worth of revenue from the ship.

Their determination to keep telling us the ship would leave on time (when, in my opinion, they had to be pretty certain on Friday that they were not going to bring the ship into port on Saturday morning at 5 a.m.) meant we had to fly directly into the path of a hurricane.

I've noticed, however, that RCCL seems to have improved their performance in this regard. I've been glad to see that.

And, at least we didn't have a car totaled in the parking lot at the port like the Galveston Carnival cruisers did, so it certainly could have been much, much worse.

Archived