Celebrity & Mexico

gogy

Like I've been saying, they could have put the Zenith there instead of sending her out to pasture, but so much for a good idea I guess.

Now, if I were in charge...

They didn't put Zenith out to pasture. They traded her for 2 ships that make far more $$$ than Zenith could hope to.

Zenith was more suited to Pullmantur's product than the two R ships they were using. It was a good move all around.

Azamara as a cruiseline is still under the Celebrity umbrella even though they have different names. There are employees moving between the lines unlike X and RCCL who have their own employees and don't switch.

Is there anything we can do to encourage Celebrity to put the Mexican Riviera Cruises back on their cruise schedules???

Hi googy :)

It is my understanding that this particular itinerary was not very profitable for Celebrity, which is why they stopped it.

Since Celebrity has a relatively small fleet they tend to put their ships where there appears to be the greatest demand, so they can get the highest per diem rate possible for each cabin.

The upside to this is that since there is a lot of competition in these markets, for obvious reasons, Celebrity's rates are higher than they would be elsewhere, but very competitive compared to what other cruise lines are charging for similar itineraries.

The down sidie is that Celebrity puts all of their ships in Europe and Alaska for a good portion of the year, which leaves no options for people who want to take a cruise elsewhere at that time.

With the new Soltice Class Celebrity will have a lot more berths to fill and it will be interesting to see if they put their ships in more markets simultaneously. I, for one, would love to see that.

Carnival pretty much dominates the Mexican Riviera. Elation, Pride, Spirit, Dawn Princess, Osterdam and Ryndam make 3, 4, and 7 days cruises.

Hi Skeezics :)

The problem with that itinerary is that it limits the number of possible ports, as well as sea days.

When we took our Mexican Riviera Cruise on Mercury in January 2005, we went to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, and Ixtapa, while enjoying four wonderful sea days on the balcony of our "sky suite".

We miss the Mercury to Mexico. We cruise to cruise and the ports are not very important to us. We've been spoiled the last few years and enjoy cruising from our hometown. San Diego has lost the Oosterdamn and the Dawn Princess this year and we lost the Mercruy two years ago.

With the weak dollar and fuel costs, maybe "home porting" will become popular again. I know I'm prejudiced, but San Diego is a beautiful port to sail from and for out of towners we have some great attractions here.

We miss the Mercury to Mexico. We cruise to cruise and the ports are not very important to us. We've been spoiled the last few years and enjoy cruising from our hometown. San Diego has lost the Oosterdamn and the Dawn Princess this year and we lost the Mercruy two years ago.

With the weak dollar and fuel costs, maybe "home porting" will become popular again. I know I'm prejudiced, but San Diego is a beautiful port to sail from and for out of towners we have some great attractions here.

Hello,

San Diego really is an outstanding port, not only as a port of departure but as a port of call. A big reason for this is that the cruise terminal is not within a large port complex such as Fort Lauderdale, Galveston or Los Angeles. From San Diego's cruise terminal you are outside in about 5 minutes, to taxis, walk around and maybe 10 minutes to public transportation and the USS Midway.

Fred

San Diego really is an outstanding port, not only as a port of departure but as a port of call.

We think so, too. We took a near-perfect cruise along the Pacific Coast several years ago on the Mercury. We departed from San Francisco (the most beautiful departures of any port, in our opinion) and we had an entire day to enjoy in San Diego as a port of call, in addition to Monterey, Catalina Island, Los Angeles (nice deck party but we would have preferred the scheduled Santa Barbara) and Ensenada. The cruise would have been better if it had been longer.

We'd love a 10, 12, or 14-day Pacific Coast/Mexican Riviera cruise round-trip out of San Francisco.

Archived