Wheelchair cabins L248/L252 on Emerald & Crown Princess

Cruisin' Crazy

I am looking for someone who has been on either the Emerald or Crown Princess ships and had a wheelchair cabin on Lido Deck 15. There are two accessible cabins forward on that deck, number L248 and L252, which are inside cabins.

If there is anyone who has been in either of these cabins, and might have some digital pictures they could send me, I would appreciate it very much. My wife uses a scooter and cannot walk at all, and we are looking to book some cruises on the Ruby, which is the same as the Emerald and Crown, and for advance research, I find pictures the best way to get a good look at cabins before making a decision.

Please contact me at <kenmarvv@allstream.net> and thank you very much for any help you could give us.

Keep on cruisin' and best regards to all, Ken.

I don't have any pictures from the Emerald or Crown, but here is one from the Star. I would imagine that Princess ships accessible bathrooms are much the same. I know in the newer ships they installed larger benches. Pleanty of room for a scooter.

Starbath.jpg

I have stayed in one of those cabins on the Crown. I know both of them. I don't have any pictures. They are nice and large. Plenty of room for the scooter and a place to charge it. Nice being on Lido deck where all the action is. Its a easy ride to the buffet and pools etc. Only thing my mom had trouble with was the heavy doors.

Thanks TheRoff and Umbarger for your responses.

Umbarger, could you possibly tell us which of the cabins has a "right-hand" toilet and which has the "left-hand" toilet (ie: the assist bars on the right or left side of the toilets).

This is somewhat important to my wife, as she is used to her assist bars being on the right and that is her strong side. She can manage a left hand bar assist but it is much more difficult, so we always try to get a righthand bar set-up. This pair of cabins would have opposite, mirror image room setups.

Thanks for your help. Ken.

Keep on cruisin" and never give up!!

Thanks TheRoff and Umbarger for your responses.

Umbarger' date=' could you possibly tell us which of the cabins has a "right-hand" toilet and which has the "left-hand" toilet (ie: the assist bars on the right or left side of the toilets).

This is somewhat important to my wife, as she is used to her assist bars being on the right and that is her strong side. She can manage a left hand bar assist but it is much more difficult, so we always try to get a righthand bar set-up. This pair of cabins would have opposite, mirror image room setups.

Thanks for your help. Ken.

Keep on cruisin" and never give up!![/quote']

Oh goodness, Ken. I'll try to help you but my memory just isn't that great. It was 3 years ago.

But here is what I think I remember. There was a grab bar on the wall to the left of the toilet and also one on the opposite side. I think that one was for the shower but it was close to the toilet so I used it. So if I remember correctly the grab bars went around the toilet. I was in L252.

Linda

Thanks Linda, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

If L252 is a left hand bar assist, then L248 will be a right hand bar assist at the toilet. My wife cannot use her legs at all, and I have to lift transfer her from wheelchair to toilet, so of course, the shower bars are of no use to us. But when getting up from the seat, she holds on to the assist bar while I redress her, and as I said earlier, her right side is her strong side, and she can help get up by pulling on the assist bar on that side.

We are very familiar with these rooms on many other Princess ships, but on a ship we have not been on, one is never sure of which one of a pair of mirror image cabins will be the correct one. I had guessed that L248 might the correct one, but needed confirmation before I made a booking on the Ruby.

Thanks again for your help, Linda.

To anyone else who reads the thread, I'd still like to see any pictures anyone might chance to have. Thanks very much.

Ken & Marion (who will keep on cruisin' !!)

Ken, I know this has nothing to do with the Princess Line, but on our last cruise with NCL,( the Pearl) , the bathroom in the stateroom had a grab bar built into the wall, and, on the other side of the toilet there was a pull down grab bar - so, in effect, the toilet was surrounded! This was a great feature for us, and it was repeated in all the Handicapped washrooms on board. We liked the service so much that we booked the Pearl again for another cruise this Fall. Just a bit of information re: another cruise line!

Cheers!

Annette ( from Eastern Ontario)

Hi Annette,

Yes, we have seen these before, most recently on the (new) Royal Princess in January this year when we sailed down to the Amazon and back, from Fort Lauderdale, a trip I can highly recommend. The new Royal is the old R8 from the defunct Renaissance Cruise Line. But curiously enough, the first time we ever saw them was in 1989, on, of all ships, the old Royal Princess, (our very first cruise) now the Arcadia for P & O. There were two of them on either side of the toilets in the public wheelchair toilets, of which there were actually only two on the ship. I suspect this invention was British, but thats only an opinion. Things have certainly progressed well for wheelchair people in recent years on the newer ships, with much more cabin choice and more public accessible toilets throughout the ships, as well as electric doors in some places. They also had them in the public wheelchair toilets on the Regal Princess as well. Good for NCL to put them in their ships. Most newer ships have only the traditional side and behind bars in their wheelchair cabin bathrooms.

Nice to hear from you. We're from Mississauga.

Keep on Cruisin'. Best regards from Ken & Marion.

Archived