NCL roommate matchup

tack42

I have not heard about that roommate matchup being available.

When I was single not too long ago, I was in a social club and one of the things we did were cruises. We matched up roommates from our group, and it worked out really well. So you may want to look into a group cruise - you get really good rates that way too.

Tack42,

My husband and I are traveling with 2 single friends (man and woman) on Gem next month.

When I booked, I was asked whether our friends wanted a "shared single supplement cabin". This is where NCL tries to match another single person to your age/gender. If NCL does not find a match for you, you still get the shared rate.

Although our friends chose not to have room mates, the option does exist.

Hi Travel Nymph,

I love that you heard about a "shared single supplement cabin". I'd love to know more about it because I am traveling solo in October and was told by NCL when I first inquired about needing a roommate that they do not offer a program to help someone find a roommate. After reading your post I immediately called NCL only to be told again it was not offered. The consultant I spoke to even checked with his supervisor. I would LOVE to know how to find a roommate to help cut the cost of my upcoming NCL cruise! Did you book your cruise directly with NCL? Or did you perhaps book through a group or a TA that had some sort of a program for solo travelers?

Perhaps Cruise Critic could create a section for people searching for roommates. Just an idea.

I agree this would be a great thing. I really dont think in todays day and age they are very successful in getting even 2 people of the same gender wanting to share a cabin on the same sailing. No doubt in my mind there is a demand for it, but i think it would be much better executed if there were some sort of forum for individuals to meet befre hand and agree on a sailing date :p

Happy Cruising!

Perhaps Cruise Critic could create a section for people searching for roommates. Just an idea.

I'd think the insurance liablity would be too great for CC to do this. If someone matched up and then one person stole items from another or was a lousy roommate or caused damage or bodily harm, somebody would get sued........and CC would be a target.

That's why most cruise companies stopped the sharing program.

I'd think the insurance liablity would be too great for CC to do this. If someone matched up and then one person stole items from another or was a lousy roommate or caused damage or bodily harm' date=' somebody would get sued........and CC would be a target.

That's why most cruise companies stopped the sharing program.[/quote']

I think you are exactly right. I have to say though.. my hat is off to those of you who are brave enough to go on a cruise and be in that small confined space with someone you have never met before. It just shows me how chicken I really am.

I think you are exactly right. I have to say though.. my hat is off to those of you who are brave enough to go on a cruise and be in that small confined space with someone you have never met before. It just shows me how chicken I really am.

It's a legitimate concern. I did a roommate-match on a land tour once, and while the other lady was perfectly nice, she snored. Loud! I didn't get any sleep the whole trip. Those were the days before I started taking ear plugs and a white-noise machine on every trip. But I gotta tell you--even with those and a pillow over my head, I can still hear snoring in the next bed. :( Being a light sleeper is a curse on trips.

Tack42,

In my experience, the share program is a thing of the past for most mainstream lines. As was previously mentioned, sometimes agencies that have reserved group space will do it. I don't know if you were planning to cruise at a certain time, etc., but here are a few upcoming cruises where they do not have the single supplement.

Ask for PROMO CODE PGSGL100

SHIP SAILING DATE ITINERARY CRUISE DAYS

Dawn 11/02/08 Repo: NY – MIA 13 days

Jewel 09/17/08 Repo: Transatlantic 11days

Jewel 10/28/08 Repo: NY – MIA 12days

Majesty11/01/08 Repo: PHL – CHS 14days

Sun 09/14/08 Repo: VAN – SFO 7days

Sun 11/04/08 Repo: SFO – VAP 19days

Spirit 10/18/08 Repo: NY - New Orleans 13days

Star 09/21/08 Repo: VAN – LAX 6days

Also, on the solo cruisers board there is a thread where people list the sailings that they find without single supplement. It is here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=458054

Good luck!

Archived