Silly question from a First-Timer about muster drill

Texas Munchkin

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but here goes.....

I've heard that Carnival starts the sailaway during the muster drill. That being said, does anyone know how they determine where your section is during the drill? Having never sailed before I would really like to be outside so I can see and wave to the people I don't know.

Okay, I've been watching too much TV haven't I? :o

In your cabin on the wall will be a diagram of your muster station

with directions on how to get there .

You will have your lifejackets in your closet also with your cabin

numbers on them

they will take count at your station as to who attends

if your cabin is missing from the drill ,

they will wait for you to arrive to your muster station

before starting the drill

Thanks mamasita! I knew that the directions would be on the wall. What I wanted to know ahead of time was how they determined where each cabin went. Like do the Riveria Interior rooms all go to one place, etc. I'm hoping they put us lower deck inside people out in the hot sun. ;)

Sorry I didn't explain myself too well. I don't cruise until April and I am already so excited I just can't stand it. :D

Again thanks for your help.

Thanks mamasita! I knew that the directions would be on the wall. What I wanted to know ahead of time was how they determined where each cabin went. Like do the Riveria Interior rooms all go to one place, etc. I'm hoping they put us lower deck inside people out in the hot sun. ;)

Sorry I didn't explain myself too well. I don't cruise until April and I am already so excited I just can't stand it. :D

Again thanks for your help.

Oh , I am sorry

I tried to answer it ...LOL

I am not sure how they predetermine

the cabins for the locations of muster drill

that is a good question

perhaps someone can come up with a good answer:)

Hello,

In years past, they had you actually go to the area where your lifeboat is located for the Muster Drill. Now they have you go to Central areas of the ship such as the Show Rooms, where they stand on the stage and go over the instructions. You will have time to go up on Deck after the drill for the "Sail Away" Party. We love to get a drink and go to the forward part of the ship right under the Bridge for the best view sailing out of the Port, and feel the breeze. Also, it's a Great Photo opportunity! On our last Cruise, our friend kept asking "What's a Mustard Drill?" We made it a running joke ever since. For our cruise in 3 weeks, I made special family shirts that say "I'm ready for the MUSTARD Drill" on the front with a picture of a Mustard bottle, and "LaFaver Family Cruise 2008" on the back! We hope to get a few laughs!!! Have Fun on your cruise. :D Dave

I can only speak of our drill and it was on the Fascination both times. First time we were on Riviera deck aft and we met on the Promenade deck in Passage to India club. This past drill we were on Main deck aft and we met in aft dinner club again on Promenade deck. Both times then they walk us outside to boats on the Lido deck. This is just my limited experience.

Hello,

In years past, they had you actually go to the area where your lifeboat is located for the Muster Drill. Now they have you go to Central areas of the ship such as the Show Rooms, where they stand on the stage and go over the instructions. You will have time to go up on Deck after the drill for the "Sail Away" Party. We love to get a drink and go to the forward part of the ship right under the Bridge for the best view sailing out of the Port, and feel the breeze. Also, it's a Great Photo opportunity! On our last Cruise, our friend kept asking "What's a Mustard Drill?" We made it a running joke ever since. For our cruise in 3 weeks, I made special family shirts that say "I'm ready for the MUSTARD Drill" on the front with a picture of a Mustard bottle, and "LaFaver Family Cruise 2008" on the back! We hope to get a few laughs!!! Have Fun on your cruise. :D Dave

I hope everyone understands this is ONLY for the FANTASY CLASS ships, which the OP is inquiring about.

On all OTHER muster drills in which I've participated, the pax actually go to the outside muster station directly below the lifeboats.

I hope everyone understands this is ONLY for the FANTASY CLASS ships, which the OP is inquiring about.

On all OTHER muster drills in which I've participated, the pax actually go to the outside muster station directly below the lifeboats.

On our last two Fantasy cruises, the muster drill began inside, then we had to walk to the lifeboat station. It seems that they decide during each drill whether to do this or not. 3 cruises ago we just sat on the promenade deck for 10 minutes and it was over. You just never know whether you'll have to go to the lifeboats or not until the drill takes place.

I've heard that Carnival starts the sailaway during the muster drill. That being said, does anyone know how they determine where your section is during the drill? Having never sailed before I would really like to be outside so I can see and wave to the people I don't know.

Been on 10+ Carnival cruises and yes...ALL have been during sailaway. I'm with you.... I too want to see and wave at people I don't know, people wishing they were sailing too! lol.:rolleyes:

Munchkin - At least on Fantasy Class, they generally do muster drill just before the sailaway out of port, so you can wave to all. Most staterooms assemble by the stage on the Lido deck; the others assemble in the Theatre, but then make their way to the Lido deck as a group. They close the bars and shops and pretty much everything when the drill is announced and are fairly serious about everyone attending.

Thanks for all the input guys(and gals)! I'm sure I will beyond thrilled no matter what happens. I have visions of balloons and streamers while we are all waving with one hand and a drink in the other. The band is playing the Love Boat theme.. LOL..

I told you guys too much TV.

And Dave, I'm going to start looking for a mustard drill t-shirt right away. :p

Sailaway has occurred during muster drill on at least half of my Carnival cruises. There is no reason for that to still be occurring considering everyone has to be on the ship 60 minutes prior to sailaway.

For me, it is disappointing for the first time cruisers. Not a good way to start a cruise.

Dave

We sailed on the Ecstasy out of Galveston in February. It was our first cruise. We met for Muster in one of the bars, we were in there for over 30 minutes (we were one of the first to arrive), then we went outside to the lifeboats. As we were leaving the bar for the lifeboats, we started sailaway. I was very unhappy with the timing. I hope they do a better job on the Conquest next February!

Hello Texas Munchkin, I do hope you won't be too disappointed. Sailaway is not much like the TV shows. 17 cruises so far (4 on Carnival) and I've never yet seen any streamers or balloons at sailaway. ( Not counting the one time our large group brought our own.) And sorry to say, that if you want to hear the Love Boat theme during sailaway, you have to book a Princess cruise. That's their song.

Although, (if I'm remembering correctly) Carnival, usually does have the band playing Caribbean sounding music during sailaway.

Sailaway is exciting, just not so much like the TV. Usually the only people on the dock, to wave to, are the few remaining dock workers. Although, in some ports, the ships do have to sail past some homes and hotels where, sometimes, the people wave to you.

On one cruise, out of Miami, the most excitement came from watching the several other ships, sail past us as they all, one by one, made their way up the channel, and out to sea. All the passengers on the ships would take turns cheering. It was almost a contest. Then the ships themselves started to "talk" to each other with their horns, back and forth. Nothing can send the chills through me like the sound of the ships horn.

I hope it's special for you.

Sailaway during muster has happened to us once and that was on the Glory. All the others, muster was completed before sailaway. i think it depends on how long it takes to get everyone assembled and then wait until all the first timers get done blowing the whistles on the lifejackets, so don't do that. think of how many BEFORE you have sucked and blown on it:eek:

Thanks for all the input guys(and gals)! I'm sure I will beyond thrilled no matter what happens. I have visions of balloons and streamers while we are all waving with one hand and a drink in the other. The band is playing the Love Boat theme.. LOL..

I told you guys too much TV.

And Dave, I'm going to start looking for a mustard drill t-shirt right away. :p

Too much TV.

There aren't any people to wave to. The only people around are dock workers driving around on fork lifts and they aren't looking up. Unless you are on the water side of the ship, then you can wave to the port security people in boats.

Enjoy sailaway with your shipmates.

Dan

On Conquest in Galveston, the second muster was over, the ship started leaving port... You actually had no chance of going to put away your life vest and getting back on top deck to watch the ship leave.

Don't know if it was like that all the time or what.... But would have been kinda nice to watch a sailaway in it's entirety.

I know back in the 50's and 60's if someone was going on a cruise, you could have friends come on board for awhile and then it would be announced that all visitors would have to leave. It was those people who would be at dockside waving to the passengers on the ships, it was kinda cool, but they stopped that in the early 60's. So sailaways are not really like they show in the movies unless it is the old ships like Titanic or the any of the liners up until the early 60's that are shown in movies.

We took our first Carnival cruise this summer - on the Ecstasy. Muster was rather lengthy as compared to others on other lines. We DID meet in the lounge first, then went en masse outside to the actual lifeboat station. Sailaway began as we were outside sweltering. It's a little bit of a let down, but not enough to harp on. (The minute you are disappointed that the ship has sailed, you realize you're finally catching a breeze and might not succumb to heat stroke! :p ) Also, there's NO ONE to wave to when leaving the port of Galveston. It's nothing like leaving out of the ports in Florida.

On our last Cruise, our friend kept asking "What's a Mustard Drill?" We made it a running joke ever since. For our cruise in 3 weeks, I made special family shirts that say "I'm ready for the MUSTARD Drill" on the front with a picture of a Mustard bottle, and "LaFaver Family Cruise 2008" on the back! We hope to get a few laughs!!! Have Fun on your cruise. :D Dave

Come check out the "Mustard of the Seas"!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=211885

We like Mustard Drill, too! and even have pretzels and hot dogs to go along with the Mustard!

Archived