Sept. 1 Sky and Tropical Depression 7

hamiltito

My wife and I are booked on the September 1 sailing of the Sky, and the storm track for tropical depression 7 shows a decent chance that Florida and the Bahamas will be affected right around the time we'll should be boarding the ship. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5day#contents)

I called NCL and checked the web, and they haven't made any accouncements yet regarding that cruise. Does anyone know what we can expect from NCL in terms of changes if a tropical storm is hitting Miami Sunday/Monday and they have a ship to hypothetically load and unload?

The cruise that was affected by TS Fay embarked and left port two hours early, and I think reversed the order of the ports visited.

It's still too early to know for sure, but here's my two cents...the forecast cone has this storm in the Miami area in about five days, so IF it stays on that track by the 1st it will be out of that area and the cruise will probably continue on schedule.

I think it is far to early to even guess what may happen. Let's face it, the worst storms seem to be the ones that were thought to be small and those that look like they will be real, turn out to be either nothing, or hit someplace not expected. It will probably be, at least Friday before there is much information. You are smart to keep paying attention, I certainly would if I were sailing.

Nita

My wife and I are booked on the September 1 sailing of the Sky, and the storm track for tropical depression 7 shows a decent chance that Florida and the Bahamas will be affected right around the time we'll should be boarding the ship. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5day#contents)

I called NCL and checked the web, and they haven't made any accouncements yet regarding that cruise. Does anyone know what we can expect from NCL in terms of changes if a tropical storm is hitting Miami Sunday/Monday and they have a ship to hypothetically load and unload?

If and this is a big IF (coming from someone who lives in Miami) Gustaf heads towards Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, NCL will either stay at Sea until it is safe to return to its homeport of Miami, or if the storm is somewhere between the Bahamas and Florida, they will move their ships out of harm's way. No way they will bring them to the Port of Miami while the storm is approaching.

Remember, because Miami is all the way down South in the Florida peninsula, we are always placed in the cone of error at the beginning and as they learn more they move us out of it. The National Hurricane Center is located here in Miami, they will issue all the proper warnings as soon as they actually know more about the path of the storm. Just keep your eyes open and watch the weather channel.;)

Archived