HAL & Airline Luggage Questions

NeilFan

Your posts are a great help in planning for this once in a lifetime trip. We are close to booking on HAL for August 2009, so don't have any documentation or instructions yet. With the airline luggage restrictions down to 1 per person, how do you pack for a 14-day cruisetour? I'm thinking that we'll need a 26-inch for the whole time, but have heard the rail and bus let you take them that large. What size checked bag does the rail and coach allow per person? I'm sure this is quite a challenge..

Thanks in advance!

I did HAL cruisetour Aug '07, my husband and I each had 29" (62" total, largest airlines allow) with a 20" carry-on. Had no problem on the airplane, ship, or bus. On the dome railcar from Fairbanks to Denali, we were given special colored tags to go on the large suitcase that would be waiting for us in Anchorage. IT DID NOT GO WITH US TO DENALI. We only took the 20" carry-ons, and there was a luggage compartment under the train, we did not have to have them in the railcar with us.

Things could be different depending on which cruisetour you do.

We did a 12 day Cruisetour this year and were bound and determined not to pay any airline luggage overage charges. We each took a 26" bag-packed pretty full (had to leave a little room for things to buy!) it weighed around 45-47 pounds. We also each took a carry-on. The luggage traveled with us on the tour (luggage goes to the next destination by truck, not on the train or bus) so it was easy. Had plenty of room for everything in the 26" bag-there are plenty of threads with what to pack. We economized by not taking shampoos, lotions, etc (used those in the lodges and ship-not my favorite but it didn't kill me for 12 days), taking less shoes and coordinating colors of dressy clothes so I could mix & match. It worked out well. Good luck!

Thanks for easing my mind. I had heard during the land portion of cruisetours you couldn't have anything bigger than a carry-on. For six days on land, I'm afraid we'd have had to have a pretty wide berth around us if we couldn't change clothes!! Plus, I'd be nervous knowing some of the luggage was ahead of us somewhere.

I still plan to pack as light as possible, with things that dry easy if we need to wash overnite. Any suggestions for socks that don't cost an arm and a leg?

This might be off the track, but do most of the lodges have hair dryers?

You guys are great!

Happy cruising,

"Forever in Blue Jeans"

Don't worry about your luggage going on ahead of you in Alaska. Millions of bags are moved that way and few are lost. There is a very good system set up to move baggage.

Some of the younger members of the family have worked as baggage handlers during the tourist season. The work is hard, but not a strain for healthy young folks. It is a tried and true system that has been running for at least 40 years.

Not so much worried about the luggage being lost as not having what I need for the six days on land. I'm typically one of those who packs for every possible situation -- therefore, an overnight would require a 22" suitcase plus a cosmetic bag. This will definitely be a challenge, but I'm looking forward to it!! :o

Archived