Bokissa Island, Vanuatu and Duck Island, New Caledonia

surfoz

Hi guys

Search function is down again.

Can anyone advise if these two places are easy to get to without joining a ship's tour.

We love snorkelling.. we visit Nomea, Luganville, Vila and Isle of Pines.

Any other ideas for great snorkelling?

Cheers

Hi,

Here are my suggestions -

Noumea - You can snorkel at Duck Island or do the full day P & O tour to Amedee. Otherwise forget snorkelling here and just enjoy the French atmosphere. You can either get on the Noumea Explorer Bus (1000 francs) or go on a bus tour. Book the bus tour in the cruise terminal on the wharf for A$15.

Luganville - take a taxi to the Blue Hole for swimming and snorkelling. They will accept Aussie dollars. Otherwise Luganville is a non-event.

Vila - If you want to snorkel to to either Hideaway Island or Irririki Is resort.

Otherwise go to the Cascades for a swim under the waterfall. This is the best place for duty-free shopping and also for markets. Use Aussie dollars.

Isle of Pines - Snorkelling is quite good. Walk to the snorkel area near the sacred rock. Follow the crowd. There are plenty of shady trees flanking the sand. Don't even think about shopping.

Enjoy yur cruise.:):)

Thanks Ella

The Blue Hole is inland, not in the ocean right?

Out of the places you mention, which in your mind offers the best snorkelling, reef, marin life, colour etc?

Cheers

Jeff

The only one out of these that I have snorkelled at is Isle of Pines. I was disappointed with the colour, but the fish were pretty good. I suggest taking a few biscuits packaged in cellophane. The reason I am suggesting this rather than bread etc. is that you are not permitted to take food ashore. Although they don't say it specifically, if the food is processed and packaged it is usually OK.

We heard about the Blue Hole in Luganville after we had been there, so didn't go to it. We went to Million Dollar Point - don't bother unless you scuba dive.:)

When going to the blue holes or million dollar point be sure to negotiate a RETURN price with your taxi driver. Many on the cruises i have done have been caught out buy taxi drivers offering to take passengers only to find that if they wanted to go back to the ship were charged another fare

Icy

Archived