Millenium to Vancouver on August 22

Billiam

I just returned and would like to touch on the highlights of the trip. We stayed in Alyeska for 2 nights and was rained out the first day. I don't know of a place I'd rather spend a rain day, great lodge. Spent a night in Seward at Breeze Inn, OK but nothing to write home about. The Sea life Museum is great to visit and gave a good insight to the wildlife you will be seeing. Did the 9 hour Northwestern Fjords trip and it was too long for us. Probably because of the weather and rough seas but saw the wildlife we expected to see and had a great captain. A few got sick so take the bonnine.

Boarded the ship on Friday night and got great weather for the Hubbard Glacier visit. Juneau visit to Mendenhall Glacier was fun but Harv and Marv in the afternoon was great. Did the 9 hour Skagway White Pass trip and it was great, glad we went all the way to Carcross. We ate crab in Icy Straight Point at The Office. 2 1/2 crabs, chowder, beer and coke was $26 + change and a generous tip. Great.

Ketchikan we went with Island Wings for the highlight of the trip to Traitors Cove. The creek was so full of salmon the bears usually just walked out of the woods, grabbed a fish and went back into the woods so pictures of the bears working the stream was almost impossible. Michelle was great, the flight very smooth and this trip is highly recommended.

As for the Millennium it is still in great shape, the staff was wonderful and the only complaint I have is the food. It is great food that is overly decorated. Usually good meat covered with a sauce I didn't care for, over a bed of something I would never order and garnished with something I couldn't pronounce. Ate in the Olympic one night and it was awesome, had the wine pairing for $30 and DW tasted each one. Some posts here note both have to order it but we did not. We only ate in the main dining room twice as we'd rather have the pasta, stir fry or sushi where we knew what we were getting. Dining room food looked good though. I spoke to several folks we met and continued to meet after the cruise and to a number the comments of foods was rated C to B, never heard an A.

I've attached their website for your review. I also scheduled airport pickup with them. Seven Glaciers is the top of the tram restaurant that is wonderful both for view and food. I was there on a rainy day and it was so relaxing to sit under a deck, watch the fountain in the pond and read a book. Without the rain there is a lot to do with nearby tours. Have a good trip and good luck with the weather. Bill

http://www.alyeskaresort.com/

Did you eat dinner or lunch at the restaurant at the top? We will be there in a couple of weeks and was thinking about dinner at the top.

We also will be on Millenium and have reserved for Olympic glad to hear you thought it was good.

Thanks for the report

Pat

Ate in the Olympic one night and it was awesome, had the wine pairing for $30 and DW tasted each one. Some posts here note both have to order it but we did not.

I have wanted to do the wine pairing but thought it was extremely expensive - it was only $30 per person for the pairing on top of the $30 per person specialty restaurant fee?

Did you eat dinner or lunch at the restaurant at the top? We will be there in a couple of weeks and was thinking about dinner at the top.

We had dinner at the top, $150ish for 2 with drinks and worth every penny. We also ate at the restaurant in the lodge for $100ish again with a drink and it was a great meal too.

I have wanted to do the wine pairing but thought it was extremely expensive - it was only $30 per person for the pairing on top of the $30 per person specialty restaurant fee?

Correct and I believe I had 5 different glasses of wine, hard to remember after a few glasses :) Total $90 for the 2 of us.

Archived