Booking through the cruise line vs a travel agent

dkk974

Can't do that. It is against cruise critic rules.

Understand, but if anyone is willing I would appreciate a PM with a good TA

can you still login to RCCL's website and see your cruise info, if you book with a TA??

Yes, you can see your cruise on-line that was booked by a TA. Just can't make edits or updates, but you can certainly fill out your preboard docs and other paperwork that is needed before the cruise.

Understand, but if anyone is willing I would appreciate a PM with a good TA

Yes, you and a lot of other members, but that is a violation of the Community Guidelines as well. If you are looking for a travel agency recommendation, there is a link to travel agents at the top of every forum right in the box at the top of the screen under the CC motto, "Talk Ship!" I recommend you begin there.

Any further posts asking for, offering or providing names of TAs will be removed.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

The smart money is that TA's as we know them today will cease to exist in a generation or two. Many will disagree, but I say the direct sales approach that eliminates those that bring nothing to the transaction will prevail and most selling will be executed via the internet.

Peter

Before you count us brick and mortar, service oriented TA's out, read this

http://www.emarketer.com/Articles/Print.aspx?id=1006497&src=print_article_graybar_article&xsrc=print1_articlex

We have been so busy it is ridiculous, last Sunday there was around an hour wait and NO one left, because they know they are not going to get the service by booking online or by themselves.

Before you count us brick and mortar, service oriented TA's out, read this

http://www.emarketer.com/Articles/Print.aspx?id=1006497&src=print_article_graybar_article&xsrc=print1_articlex

We have been so busy it is ridiculous, last Sunday there was around an hour wait and NO one left, because they know they are not going to get the service by booking online or by themselves.

The article refers to customer dissatisfaction with online travel agency booking adequacy. I'm talking about booking direct with the travel provider (cruiseline in this case) or ie. direct sales. Apparently the average traveller is having a hard time with some of the online booking engines and their confusing design. I find it extremely easy to book direct with RCCL and their website. I booked our upcoming AOS cruise in less than five minutes. Another five minutes with the pre-cruise form and I've got my boarding pass and ready to go.

Same experience with booking a hotel room, rental car and airline ticket. My point is that our childeren's children will grow up doing everything online. We're already banking online, filling out our taxes and submitting online, Christmas shopping online, selling our used junk online and ordering our medicines from Canada and Mexico online. My kids couldn't tell you that a travel agent even exists (and they're 22 and 19).

Face it; the mystery of booking travel isn't what it once was. This message board is proof of that.

And as far as your comment about "service"; it's the same old line you TA's always use. Exactly what invaluable service do you provide that the average traveler can't handle by themselves?

Peter

And as far as your comment about "service"; it's the same old line you TA's always use. Exactly what invaluable service do you provide that the average traveler can't handle by themselves?

Peter

Well a perfect example was last week when the storms were starting up in the Caribbean. We had a client call he was in Punta Cana and needed to get out because of the storm coming, evacuation was recommended. He called us collect, as per our policy and we took care of everything within a few minutes and called him with the new arrangements. He came to visit us when he got back with a big box of candy for the office. He said people were going crazy on their cell phones trying to get ahold of airlines, to redo their arrangements, etc and many spent hours in the process and many having no luck and got stuck there for the storm. That is a perfect example of the service you get.

I also can't figure out why you have such resentment against TA's? You go out of your way to be nasty and demeaning. I just started in this business 6 months ago and I LOVE IT. I can give you a clue that with the foot traffic, phone calls, and web referrel system we have, we are not going anywhere for many many years to come.

I also can't figure out why you have such resentment against TA's? You go out of your way to be nasty and demeaning. I just started in this business 6 months ago and I LOVE IT. I can give you a clue that with the foot traffic, phone calls, and web referrel system we have, we are not going anywhere for many many years to come.

It's all perception. You read my posts and see nasty and demeaning. I look at posts from TA's and see insulting and arrogance. At one time TA's held all the cards and the travellers had no access to deck plans, available itineraries, prices, etc. We had no choice but to use TA's. Now we have the same identical information you have and the booking engines to make reservations. You've got six months in the business. Half the people on this board have more cruise experience than you have. With that experience and the internet tools booking a cruise for us takes less time than it does to call you up. Another thing TA's always mention is the service. How much service do you give to the average cruise booking. Most RCCL cruisers book direct and then transfer to you for the OBC; not the service. So I always ask: what economic benefit are TA's bringing to the cruise transaction. Little or nothing. With the average cruise being $2000 for a couple and TA commissions at 12%, exactly what are you providing that's worth $240 to each and every booking that you get? The way I look at it, TA's are costing me an extra 12% in the price of my cruise because the cruise line is having to add that to cover the commission expense.

I read an article the other day that cited the average number of tellers in the banks are down 40% from ten years ago because of online banking and direct deposit. In the same article they reported that 8% of banking transactions happen with financial institutions that only exist on the world wide web (no physical building). This is our future. Do-It-Yourself banking, taxes, emailing, wills, etc. As for being around forever - I remember the exact same words about ten years ago before airlines stopped paying commissions. The same thing will happen with cruises, hotel rooms and rental cars.

Peter

It's all perception. You read my posts and see nasty and demeaning. I look at posts from TA's and see insulting and arrogance. At one time TA's held all the cards and the travellers had no access to deck plans, available itineraries, prices, etc. We had no choice but to use TA's. Now we have the same identical information you have and the booking engines to make reservations. You've got six months in the business. Half the people on this board have more cruise experience than you have. With that experience and the internet tools booking a cruise for us takes less time than it does to call you up. Another thing TA's always mention is the service. How much service do you give to the average cruise booking. Most RCCL cruisers book direct and then transfer to you for the OBC; not the service. So I always ask: what economic benefit are TA's bringing to the cruise transaction. Little or nothing. With the average cruise being $2000 for a couple and TA commissions at 12%, exactly what are you providing that's worth $240 to each and every booking that you get? The way I look at it, TA's are costing me an extra 12% in the price of my cruise because the cruise line is having to add that to cover the commission expense.

I read an article the other day that cited the average number of tellers in the banks are down 40% from ten years ago because of online banking and direct deposit. In the same article they reported that 8% of banking transactions happen with financial institutions that only exist on the world wide web (no physical building). This is our future. Do-It-Yourself banking, taxes, emailing, wills, etc. As for being around forever - I remember the exact same words about ten years ago before airlines stopped paying commissions. The same thing will happen with cruises, hotel rooms and rental cars.

Peter

You are very misinformed. The cruiselines pay either us or their in house people the commission so it is not costing you a cent. And who said the airlines don't pay commission. Maybe not the percentages they once did and not all of them but plenty still do to the large agencies. I may have only six months in the business but I used to work for Pan Am, have gone around the world several times and have been cruising for 20 years so I have the expertise and now I have the credentials to go with it. And never on these boards have I seen any TA act arrogant, knowledgable yes, arrogant NO!!! As for service we do plenty, as an example how about the young 23 year old couple ( computer savvy) who wanted help picking their shore excursions so we sat at my desk for over 2 hours while they picked the tours and then we booked them.

I doubt that this happens even "rarely". In todays internet world where people do their banking, shopping and communicating there are very, very few that would jump online and book the wrong ship. Come on Giorgi!!!

The smart money is that TA's as we know them today will cease to exist in a generation or two. Many will disagree, but I say the direct sales approach that eliminates those that bring nothing to the transaction will prevail and most selling will be executed via the internet.

Peter

I totally agree. I am a first time cruiser and i booked my whole trip with royalcaribbean.com. The flight to Miami and back, the hotel rooms in Miami when i get there and back and the cruise itself. It is the easiest thing to do. Just like book plane tickets and hotels for any other vacation i have been on. And those turned out just fine?? So i don't know HOW someone could REALLY mess up on the vacation they wanted if they were paying attention. :rolleyes:

I doubt that this happens even "rarely". In todays internet world where people do their banking, shopping and communicating there are very, very few that would jump online and book the wrong ship. Come on Giorgi!!!

Peter

I did not mean they booked the wrong ship name. What I meant was the booked the wrong ship, wrong itinerary, wrong cabin for their expectations. I was on a plane last year and two older couples were complaining about a Carnival cruise - too many families and too much drinking. DUH!

You are very misinformed. The cruiselines pay either us or their in house people the commission so it is not costing you a cent. And who said the airlines don't pay commission. Maybe not the percentages they once did and not all of them but plenty still do to the large agencies. I may have only six months in the business but I used to work for Pan Am, have gone around the world several times and have been cruising for 20 years so I have the expertise and now I have the credentials to go with it. And never on these boards have I seen any TA act arrogant, knowledgable yes, arrogant NO!!! As for service we do plenty, as an example how about the young 23 year old couple ( computer savvy) who wanted help picking their shore excursions so we sat at my desk for over 2 hours while they picked the tours and then we booked them.

If you as a TA book 20 cruises in a week, your agency will be paid $4,800. I doubt that if those same 20 cruises were booked direct by an employee of RCCL that their salary would be $4,800 - so yes, it does drive the cost of my cruise up when you get commissions. And to say it again, I don't think any TA adds $240 worth of "value" to each cruise they book. If you read several of the post on this board about booking direct vs TA you will read that most prefer to do all the work themselves, keep control of the reservation up until final payment and then transfer to a TA for the OBC. There is really nothing left for the TA to do to contribute to the economic transaction - and is therefore not needed. You will also not read that any of those people that transfer are doing so for the wonderful service you always talk about. No matter how much experience you think you have, the collective experience on this board is 100's of times more. That's why people come here for answers and not to their TA's.

Peter

Archived