Samana Tours?

Coasty

You will not be sorry.

We had about 30 people from the Pearl. We were not all from the same group, company or anything like that The tour was on Monday. The rest of the week we kept bumping into people on the ship. We all agreed that the tour was super.

Hi there - thanks for the review of Terry's tour... we have 2 boys (5 and 8) - I am sure the 8 year old will enjoy the day based on your description - but what about a 5 year old boy? Were there any kids on your trip? Did they ride alone or with their parent?

Thanks

I don't recall any kids as young as 5 on our tour. There is no way to ride together. It would be unsafe for you and the horse. It's not that the a 5-yr old couldn't handle the horseback ride...as long as he stayed calm and didn't start yelling for mom. This is not a criticism of your child. Rather, it is a simple fact. My wife & I raised 4 kids; 2 girls, 2 boys. 1 of the girls would have been fine; 1 of the boys would have been doubtful; the other 2 would have been a close call.

In addition to the horseride, there is the hike from top of El Limon to bottom (and back UP!). This is a strenuous hike. Again, 1 of my daughters would have done it with ease. The other kids would have made it, but they would have taken some extra time.

Talk with Terry, but my gut tells me that this might be a bit ambitious. He also runs ATV tours. These allow for double riders and would probably be a better choice. Still lots of fun, but w/o the tension of worrying about your child.

I suggest contacting Terry and asking how he feels about it. He must have experience with kids of various ages and temperments.

It's very frustrating that you can not start a new thread, so I'm just going to add to this one.

Group of 9 of us joined Terry last week (march 24th) in Samana. There was another group of 5 that joined us. We stopped at Terry's restaurant - boarded an open air vehicle and off we went. He carried bottled water, soda, and beer for anyone that wanted one. Terry is american and married a beautiful Dominican girl. Their restaurant is incredibly clean (for anyone just wanting to go there from the pier for a drink). We toured the Dominican stopping at Terry's property. He showed us all of the fruites, coffee, etc. that are grown on his property. We toured a dominican house, not much there - table, fridge, and washing machine and beds of course. All cooking is done outside and food is bought at each meal time. Headed to the horses. The horses are very clean and look well taken care of. Each person has a guide that walks with them. We tipped $10 per person. They walk quite a way and deserve every penny of it. Thinking back we should have tipped more. You ride the horses into the woods - up and down, it's very fun. Then you have to hike down to the bottom of the waterfall. It is beautiful!!! You can swim behind the falls into caves. Then you hike back up where there is a small shop and it's back onto the horses. Once back at your starting point you have lunch. The food was incredible. Chicken, beef, spaghetti, fried yuka, macaroni salad, rice, beans, and another salad or 2. Pineapple and coconut for dessert. Fresh domincan coffee is served as well. We hopped back into the open air truck for our ride back to town. Along the way we stopped at a local store with some great souvenirs and a place where you can roll your own cigar. Any questions you have about how the local live or about DR in general he will answer. When you meet with him just tell him what time you want to back at the pier and he will accomodate your request. We tasted cocoa beans, hot chocolate (their equivalent) and domincan moonshine. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some things, but let's leave some things to surprise. The tour lasted all day from 9 until about 3:30 and the 9 of us agreed that this was by far the best excursion we went on. I HIGHLY recommend touring with Terry.

We too were on the Pearl last week and did a tour with Terry. We did the fourth of the tours he lists - horseback through the countryside then to a beach (el Valle) and a smaller waterfall than el Limon. For those concerned about a strenuous hike, this tour would be a better choice. We had a great time, laughed how some of our group looked like Sancho Panza from Man of la Mancha on the horses, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guide was Elena, a Canadian who moved to Samana six years ago as a missionary, like Terry. We all had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat, though I think some of the horses might rebel!

We did the waterfall tour with Terry on 3/15. My 8yo DS was with us and had never riden a horse before and he did great. They have specific horses/owners (mainly owner guide more than horse) for children, especially if you tell them they don't ride. I would have my guide wait up where the trail allowed for DS to catch up. At first, I was very nervous about not being able to see him but after I saw his guide with him and the way she took care of him, I had no reservations. Not only did she lead his horse, she sometimes rode with him. And she took him by the hand to go up and down the trail to/from the falls.

We all (31 of us) agreed that $5 was much too low of a tip for the guides. I think most of us tipped $10-15. If it weren't for my guide's help back up that trail after the fall, I would still be in Samana!

Thanks for the great post DarthDaddy.... question for you, can you guess how long of a hike the trail would be to the waterfall and back again. I have emailed Terry b/c we will have our 6month DD with us, he assures us that if we are in good physical shape, the hike with an infant carrier would be fine. DH is curious to know the terrain (which I told him was questionable) and the length.

TIA

The trail is rocky and not level. There are make-shift handrails in a few places. Personally, I wouldn't take an infant or toddler on this, but I'm sure there are those who would and have. And even though you are on horses, that trail is completely rocky and steep in many places. The horses are sure-footed and the handlers do very well, but having done this excursion just a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't take anyone younger than 5yo on this.

The trail is rocky and not level. There are make-shift handrails in a few places. Personally, I wouldn't take an infant or toddler on this, but I'm sure there are those who would and have. And even though you are on horses, that trail is completely rocky and steep in many places. The horses are sure-footed and the handlers do very well, but having done this excursion just a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't take anyone younger than 5yo on this.

Thanks for the info - I am going to conatct Terry since I am a bit nervous about this.

My family (incl 3 college kids) agree that the hike to El Limon would be very ambitious.

The trail is very, very rocky. Parts are quite muddy & slick. I am amazed that the horses don't have more trouble.

The handlers/guides run or walk along side the horse, so clearly it can be done. However, it would be one heck of a workout. If pushed, I would say it would be AT LEAST a 1 hr hike each way for someone in above average condition. The segment from top to bottom of the falls would be tough wearing a baby carrier.

Again, I would contact Terry and see what he suggests. He is an easy guy to work worth. He is not interested in getting folks in over their heads (except in the pool at bottom of El Limon!).

• 1 year later...

Many Private Tour Operators at Port of Samana ( You should Save 30 to 50% OFF from Cruise Ship Prices )

As of 2012 you will find most Samana Tour Operators have an Online presence.

To name a few of the BEST Right Here at Samana Port :

1) Razor Tours

2) Tour Samana With Terry

3) Marivanna Tours

4) Cayenas del Mar Tours

5) Private Tours from Taxis Services

You should find all the Information about all Tours at the local Tourism Website called GO SAMANA :

http://gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com

STEVE

Tour Guide

• 1 month later...

Just back from Samana on NCL Dawn. Had booked private tour with Terry #5. It was AWESOME and a highlight of our entire cruise. We visited a school, local home, a lovely beach with a meal fresh cooked for us, and a hike up to a waterfall where we went for a dip. There was 9 of us from our ship. We all enjoyed it. We stopped at a local shop where they make cocoa and grow vanilla, peppercorns, lemons, papaya etc. They took us on a tour to see how these grow which was wonderful for my children. I can't recommend it enough. Great day. Others on our ship went ziplining with Terry and loved it as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just back from Samana on NCL Dawn. Had booked private tour with Terry #5. It was AWESOME and a highlight of our entire cruise. We visited a school, local home, a lovely beach with a meal fresh cooked for us, and a hike up to a waterfall where we went for a dip. There was 9 of us from our ship. We all enjoyed it. We stopped at a local shop where they make cocoa and grow vanilla, peppercorns, lemons, papaya etc. They took us on a tour to see how these grow which was wonderful for my children. I can't recommend it enough. Great day. Others on our ship went ziplining with Terry and loved it as well.

I am considering this tour for next year, and was wondering if you can you tell me if there were adequate restrooms available along the way? I am unfamiliar with the country so I really have no idea what is usual for these types of private tours.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Archived