Can TAs discount prices that are lower than what Royal Caribbean shows?

dkk974

I don't have any experience with Royal Caribbean. We were interested in a cruise and used one of those on line TAs that will compete for the price. They offered the same suite that another TA and Royal Caribbean site had posted but the competing site offers it for $500 less. I asked the TA that I have booked with once before about meeting the price. He said that it was illegal to discount the fares the RC qoutes. Actually he referred to it as rebating. Does RC set prices and not give much wiggle room for TAs? Does a $500 difference from what RC qoutes sound reasonable? RC wasn't offering onboard credits or some other reimbursement that would even out the difference.

I don't have any experience with Royal Caribbean. We were interested in a cruise and used one of those on line TAs that will compete for the price. They offered the same suite that another TA and Royal Caribbean site had posted but the competing site offers it for $500 less. I asked the TA that I have booked with once before about meeting the price. He said that it was illegal to discount the fares the RC qoutes. Actually he referred to it as rebating. Does RC set prices and not give much wiggle room for TAs? Does a $500 difference from what RC qoutes sound reasonable? RC wasn't offering onboard credits or some other reimbursement that would even out the difference.

Most likely that TA bought a group of rooms from RC and is giving you part of his commission as well as the lower price for taking such a large froup of rooms.

that is a huge difference and no that is not sounding reasonable. The only way to get a cheaper price through a TA is if they are holding group space but I have never seen that large a difference. Make sure the online site is including ALL taxes, fees and fuel surcharges. BTW I am a TA

You were given the correct information. RC doesn't allow rebating/reducing fares. It's called a level playing field for all, at least that's the idea.

There are ways of getting a bit of something though. Some will give OBC for example. Or you could try to find a TA who is holding group space for the date you want. The group space doesn't change in price as regular space does at least until RCI pulls it back.

I have 2 groups myself with Celebrity and both are cheaper than the price with Celebrity now but basically that's the only way to go.

Archived