Winter Travel

Mike45

Goodmorning everyone,

My wife had mentioned going on a cruise in January or febuary for a change.That just seems odd to be wearing winter cloths to leave but packing summer wear. Do many of you travel that early in the year? Rates were much cheaper. Love to fly, but never flown when it was cold.

I live in Washington State, and cruise somewhere in the caribbean every February. I fly in a pair of sweats (freezing when I leave) then change into shorts when I hit the airport in Florida. I love going at that time of year. Seattle is not too bad to fly out of, only had a problem once trying to get there with all the passes closed, but they opened on up just in time last year.

Its always lots of fun sitting on the deck in your swimsuit, sipping the fruity drink of the day, and sending pictures via your phone back to everyone that is wearing all their winter clothes and shoveling the sidewalks.

I have traveled all during the winter with no problems. I fly out of Memphis, so we don't have the harsh winters the North and Northeast experiences. But I have flown out of Memphis before many times and worn winter clothes to the airport and changed in the airport bathroom into shorts and t-shirt before boarding the plane. I say go for it!

Goodmorning everyone,

My wife had mentioned going on a cruise in January or febuary for a change.That just seems odd to be wearing winter cloths to leave but packing summer wear. Do many of you travel that early in the year? Rates were much cheaper. Love to fly, but never flown when it was cold.

I've gone once in January, once in October and will be going in January again next year. As far as winter clothes to leave, I wear capris, a t-shirt and a jacket. I'll only be outside for the few minutes that it takes to get into the airport so winter coats aren't really necessary imo. I'm always cold on planes anyway so I would end up using the jacket for that regardless of the time of year that I travel. Just leave early in case of blizzard!

Plus, while the people who live while it's warm might be cold when it's 60 or 70, for me it's a heat wave and I'm perfectly happy swimming.

I cruise Jan/Feb alot. I love getting out of the nasty cold, snowy winters of Michigan. The prices are much lower that time of year and I need a break from the freezing temps.

I have learned to fly down a day early to avoid weather related issues. As far as clothing. I leave the winter coat in the car at the air port. I usually change planes in Atlanta so, I take a lite top and shorts in my carry on and change cloths to arrive in FL. If it is still to cold in Atlanta I change as soom as I land in FL. It always takes a while for the baggage to arrive.:D

Same here, fly out of Michigan. I leave the winter coat in the car. I ware long light pants, as I need to ware special socks flying so the legs don't swell. We are in and out of car so not in the weather much. Now with the 50lb weight limit on our suitcase don't want to pack to much. Have fun, Lynnyunnto macarsehonling g liw9g

We too have cruised in February and are going to do it again in a few months. I LOVE leaving nasty cold weather and vacation some where warm and sunny. It's good for the soul and helps me make it til Spring :D

We always choose a time that's BEFORE Presidents week and Spring Break just because we don't want to sail when schools are out....too many kids for us. :eek:

We've been cruising February for the past 3 years. We love it. It's great to get out of the cold, snowy New England winter. Unfortunately, we usually arrive home to about a foot of snow in the driveway...and sneakers on our feet.

We dress in layers to travel...multiple sweatshirts or sweaters (which are always handy on the cruise) along with jeans. . Happy planning!:)

I was thinking along the same lines as M2KM... I haven't cruised before but have flown to Florida a number of times in winter. I usually wear jeans, a t-shirt and fleece/sweater so then I have something warm to wear if need be in the evening.

Usually I leave my winter coat in the car and definitely always fly in a day or two ahead of when I need to be there.

Not to be a party pooper but just be aware that even in the Carribean it can be cold and windy in Jan. We went on a seven day cruise a few years ago in late Dec. and it was only 45 degrees in Port Canaveral when we left. Cozumel had a high of only 66 degrees with a cold wind. On our sea days it was too windy and cold for the pools to be open and one day no one was allowed on the outer decks. It was warm in Grand Caymen however.

Goodmorning everyone,

We ALWAYS cruise in winter. Better rates, fewer kids on board, and we just love getting away from the snow and cold in Illinois.

While it is possible for weather in the carribean to be chilly, it is unlikely. In Costa Maya and Belieze two years ago it was in the 90s in December. Cozumel last Feb was upper 80s, while at home it was -5!

Archived