Shorts in the dining rooms

hearts12

My DH and I have allowed this dress-code thing to get on our nerves. We comply with the dress codes but see people stroll in shorts, jeans and t-shirts, etc. with no problem.

We just got off of the Dream yesterday, and my husband completely forgot he couldn't wear shorts in the dining room. I completely forgot too. He had a very nice shirt on, with a nice off-white pair of dress shorts...and he's got very cute legs. We were rushing and set off to the dining room. We get to the line and he is sent back to dress in slacks. OK-he goes.

He comes back in, and we refuse to tell him how many men walked in with shorts on, jeans on, and torn t-shirts, knowing he would be agitated. We were with a party of 9.

The following night, we all meet for dinner, and one of the 20-year olds in the party has a pair of "smart jeans" on. We didn't even notice. Well the maitre d noticed and attempted to send him away. As she is telling us the rules of the dining room, a guy goes right past us and sits down with his family wearing a pair of khaki cargo shorts. "That is all I needed." I pointed the man out to her, and her jaw dropped. She let us be seated, but only after I told her his suitcase was toppled, and his shampoo, etc., leaked into his clothing. (I lied.)

I'm turning into a jerk I think over some of these things...but I guess when we weren't doing these things intentionally, and we are singled out, and others are not, I'm tired of being a pansy.

All of us remembered to wear proper attire after the incident. I know this will probably irritate some of you, and that is OK. This is my story and experience, and I'm just putting my experience out there.

One thing having absolutely nothing to do with the other' date=' of course. But, I'll admit, this is one of the best excuses I've ever seen for smuggling alcohol.

It's because they don't enforce the dress code.....

Very creative.[/quote']

Why thank you. I thought so too. I see my future as an attorney.....:D

Is this dress code information clearly printed some place in your room or in the daily newspaper so once you decide on a restaurant you can double check what you are wearing? It sounds like it varies depending on the ship (and maybe the destination??).

Yes. At least it was on our last cruise in January on the Majesty. The dress code information was printed on the very last page of the dailies from Sat - Mon.

Here's what it stated:

Dressing for Dinner: Stay relaxed throughout the evening, even presentable jeans are allowed in all our dining venues, except the Four Season's Dining Room. Shorts, tank tops & flip flops:eek: are only permitted in the buffet and outdoor venues at night!

Hopefully I don't get turned away for wearing nice shorts. BOOO on pants is my moto. Although I did go out and buy a few pairs of khakis just so I have a backup plan if needed. Gonna leave the tags right on them and pack them..if I don't wear them, guess I can bring them back after the cruise :p

Rather sad that people can live their lives without pants.

I used to think of myself as casual, apparently I'm my generation's Fred Astaire. :confused:

We are cruising on the Jade October 13th for 12 days. Does anyone know if there is still such a thing as formal evenings requiring a Tux? Also, what about the captain's cocktail party? How many men would wear a sports jacket and tie to Dinner?

On the August 17 Dream sailing, the dress code was not enforced in any area I observed. It is my guess that enough people argued with the hostess/maitre de that it was simply not worth the hassle. Frankly, I do not particularly care what other people want to wear - even to the extent of baseball caps (often worn backwards - I suppose as some sort of effort to make a fashion statement) at dinner. It is unfortunate that NCL does not seem to feel that their stated dress code is worth enforcing: they should either enforce it or drop it. I guess it comes down to validating their major sales pitch: "Do what you want, when you want" (presumably even if it means disregarding what few guidelines may exist). Perhaps this slipshod approach to dress code spilt over to maintenance and service - both of which were disappointing.

I've read that too. Sorry, can't remember where. It's like ships sailing out of Texas people can wear jeans everywhere because it's the "culture." Lot's of Wrangler Jeans on those cruises!

Our Florida "culture" is to wear shorts - "smart shorts", as in khakis shorts. I'd rather see that with a nice polo shirt in the dining room than a pair of jeans and a baseball hat! But...rules are rules. But please...DO NOT wear your hats at dinner gentlemen and boys! Didn't your mama teach you any manners!?

We were on the Sky this past weekend and were surprised to read in the daily paper that smart jeans were allowed in every dining room and shorts and tank tops were allowed in the Crossings dining room for dinner.

While it didn't bother us in any way, I had read in a previous Sky cruisers posted weekend daily, that jeans were not allowed in one dining room and shorts were not allowed at dinner in the dining rooms.

and we returned at 5:25 and the hostess of Venetian overheard me telling my husband that I can't wear shorts. She walked over to us asking how Hamilton was. We walked talking with her right into the dining room & were seated. She stated it was in a SKORT.

Archived