HELP! For Friend Star Princess 9/7/08

afcj1

Hi All,

A friend of mine just planned a "honeymoon" cruise on the Star to Alaska: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, BC. She's on the 9/7 departure:eek: and was assigned a room on Aloha Aft. She didn't leave me a lot of time to speak to the CC Gods, so I'm hoping that in a short amount of time, I can gather some of information:D My friend and her husband are 30ish (Lucky them:p )

Can anyone help out on private (not Princess) excursion suggestions, i.e., Whale watching, Fly Fishing, Motorcycling?

Any "secrets" about the Star that only CCers would know? (I was on the Crown last year and was told about the King Crab legs on embarkation day and the coffee shop that had GREAT pastries, salads, etc @ no extra charge:D )

Is the Specialty Restaurant worthwhile?

Any must dos?

I read that the waters can be rougher, leaving from Seattle. Since they're aft, should they expect the worse?

I checked out the Roll Call, but it was a little slow and these 2 are more of the type that will stay to themselves.

Thank you all, for any information that you can share with me. BTW, if it would be easier to cut/paste any prior threads, I'd love to have them.

Annette:)

Tell 'em to do Sabatini's, and if Chef's Table is offered on the Star, to do that too.

I've done the former, not the latter, but from what I've read about Chef's Table, is it not to be missed.

If I had to pick one (they're not cheap), then I'd do Chef's Table, if there's room. Maybe they could make reservations for Sabatini's for later in the cruise and then cancel if Chef's Table comes through.

T

Yes aft will be rougher going up and coming back. Sunday night will be a bit rough, Monday during the day, Thursday night, all day Friday, maybe a bit on Saturday. Make sure they take what they need for seasickness. The other days you barely know the ship is moving.

As for excursions, we did not take any ship tours except for the Best of Seattle with transfer to the airport and luggage check (worked great). We are not adventure seekers and booked mainly sightseeing tours. In Ketchikan we booked a 3 hour tour with http://www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com/. Thoroughly enjoyed this tour, $74/hour for 6 passengers. Juneau we rented a car from Rent A Wreck. They picked us up at the dock and we visited sites we wanted. If I had the money I think I would book a whale watch here. Skagway we booked with http://www.chilkootcharters.com/. We took the train up and bus down tour. Again picked up at the dock and had a very enjoyable tour.

Yes aft will be rougher going up and coming back. Sunday night will be a bit rough, Monday during the day, Thursday night, all day Friday, maybe a bit on Saturday. Make sure they take what they need for seasickness. The other days you barely know the ship is moving.

As for excursions, we did not take any ship tours except for the Best of Seattle with transfer to the airport and luggage check (worked great). We are not adventure seekers and booked mainly sightseeing tours. In Ketchikan we booked a 3 hour tour with http://www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com/. Thoroughly enjoyed this tour, $74/hour for 6 passengers. Juneau we rented a car from Rent A Wreck. They picked us up at the dock and we visited sites we wanted. If I had the money I think I would book a whale watch here. Skagway we booked with http://www.chilkootcharters.com/. We took the train up and bus down tour. Again picked up at the dock and had a very enjoyable tour.

Thanks a lot Neecee. I've been reading your info on the Alaska boards too.:)

Hi All,

A friend of mine just planned a "honeymoon" cruise on the Star to Alaska: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, BC. She's on the 9/7 departure:eek: and was assigned a room on Aloha Aft. She didn't leave me a lot of time to speak to the CC Gods, so I'm hoping that in a short amount of time, I can gather some of information:D My friend and her husband are 30ish (Lucky them:p )

Annette

Wouldn't it be easier if you told your friend about this site then going back and forth relaying messages.

Hi, Yseone,

We had Kat as a driver, she drove us to look for bears along a creek, showed us an eagle with its nest, then we drove north of town to a park for a short hike through the forest. Then on to Potlatch Park to see totem poles, native buildings, antique cars, an at work totem pole carver and a gift shop with a museum. Next to that was Totem Bight. Then back to town where she dropped us off at Creek Street. Along the way we learned a lot about the history of the area and sampled wild berries that we found. She met us at the dock and we were on our way. If you have specific places in mind they would be happy to take you there. If you have any more questions, be glad to answer.

Annette

Wouldn't it be easier if you told your friend about this site then going back and forth relaying messages.

You bet. I'm trying to help out since I'm more familiar with CC and they're both in law enforcement and have been working 12 hr shifts before and during the DNC. BTW, they just booked 3 wks ago:eek:

I'm cruising in Oct, so I'm on CC all the time:D

I'm curious as to why the aft was rougher on the ship. I've never heard of or experienced that. Usually, a lower deck is more stable than an upper deck and mid-ship is more stable than forward or aft, and aft is more stable than forward. So, for the most stability, you'd want a mid-ship low deck cabin and if you're on an upper deck, you'd want a mid-ship or if you can't get that, a cabin towards the aft. While not a direct analogy, think of a speedboat on a lake: would you rather be in the back near the engine or sitting on the bow as it goes up and down on the waves?

My only experience in the aft part of the ship was in the Voyager lounge, the Capri Dining Room, and the Horizon Buffet. We preferred to sit in the far aft area of the Horizon. These areas seemed pretty bumpy, the Horizon more so. Was actually kind of fun but after a whole day of this I needed to take something. Even though we had a cabin mid ship on a lower deck (Emerald), we still rolled around a bit. While in the inside passage though, could not tell the ship was moving. Could be different for different sailings but this was my experience on this trip.

Archived