Pride of America

harz99

Hi boys and girls, we are two 60 ish young brits due to embark on Sat 27th September's sailing from Honolulu and have a few questions.

Any views on inside cabin 10001 (we were booked on Aloha before she was pulled so had to accept this cabin as a best inside offer).

Which of the paid for eateries do people consider best (don't want to be too formal).

If we check in and embark early at Honolulu (and have lunch) can we leave ship again before it sails or would doing that create problems with others checking in?

We have a $250 on board credit; am I right in thinking that can be used against our drinks and restaurant upgrades bill.

Are there taxis easily available at the Honolulu pier post cruise.

We are doing this as part of a personally organised round the world trip to celebrate both our 60th birthdays (one early, one late) and our 40th wedding anniversary, so if anyone has any other hints please speak up!

Hi boys and girls, we are two 60 ish young brits due to embark on Sat 27th September's sailing from Honolulu and have a few questions.

Any views on inside cabin 10001 (we were booked on Aloha before she was pulled so had to accept this cabin as a best inside offer).

Dont know the anwser to this

Which of the paid for eateries do people consider best (don't want to be too formal).

Jeffersons Bistro, Texas Steakhosue and Teppanyki but remember food is subject to individual tastes

If we check in and embark early at Honolulu (and have lunch) can we leave ship again before it sails or would doing that create problems with others checking in?

Yes You just have to remember to be back an hour before ship leaves as I think they start the muster drill half hour before ships leaves the port. We did this in Jan. because we wanted to see the historical sites around the pier area, it was no problem getting back on.

We have a $250 on board credit; am I right in thinking that can be used against our drinks and restaurant upgrades bill. Yes

Are there taxis easily available at the Honolulu pier post cruise. Plenty

We are doing this as part of a personally organised round the world trip to celebrate both our 60th birthdays (one early, one late) and our 40th wedding anniversary, so if anyone has any other hints please speak up!

Congratulations! Your going to love the islands.

Can you explain service charges? Can we use on-board credit towards the daily tips?

the service charge goes towards the waiters and housekeeping. Its $10 per person per day or $12 after the new years. Onboard credit from the cruise line or travel agent cant be used towards that. Onboard credit given as a gift from someone buying it for you can be used towards the service charge.

We have a $250 on board credit; am I right in thinking that can be used against our drinks and restaurant upgrades bill.

Are there taxis easily available at the Honolulu pier post cruise.

I'll help where I can. The inside cabins on deck 10 looked pretty nice, we sneaked a quick peek on disembark morning while the stewardess was cleaning up one. They do seem a bit on the small side, not much wider than the king size bed. Didn't see the rest of it though as it was a fast look.

We found Jefferson Bistro to be the best of the "speciality" restaurants and highly recommend it. We also ate at Lazy J's (not bad, just okay) and Teppenyaki (poor). We had a res for Little Italy, but canceled it after seeing the menu wasn't really all that. Since this is a freestyle cruise most all the restaurants are resort casual. We were told that only in the Jefferson and the Liberty dining room, shorts could not be worn. The dress code ran from formal to pretty casual.

We thought about checking in and then leaving for a bit since we had the time, however once we got on the ship, we were having a so much fun exploring and checking things out, that we just stayed on board. It shouldn't be a problem though once you get through check-in to hop back off.

Yes there are plenty of cabs around when you disembark, there's a queue right after you get out of the gates for people wanting Taxis.

We had a $150 credit and it was just applied to our ship account, since we charged everything to that account, it just showed up on our final bill as a credit so.....

Here's some random thoughts....You will really enjoy this cruise, the islands are beautiful and the ship and crew are great. It is not a high end, over the top service type of cruise, but it fit our pretty laid back family just fine. After all you will spend more of your time exploring the islands that staying on the ship, I would think.

Be sure to check out the John Adams coffee bar, are great place for an espresso martini and a good place to people watch. It's kind of like sitting on Main Street, watching traffic go by. The ship's library is a great quiet place for a book and a cup of coffee (they keep a service running during the day). The magician's show is pretty entertaining, and the White Party is really a fun time.

We ate breakfast on the outside aft deck on the Aloha cafe, very nice to see the views and not as crowed most early morings. The Cadilac Diner is open late and great to grab a snack or a Brownie sundae.

We ate in the Liberty Dining room on Lobster night and it was really great. I really like the theming there and it makes you feel almost like you are on one of the great old cruise ships from long time back.

Hope this helps some, you'll have a great time I know.

• 3 weeks later...
Many thanks for those useful tips johnlatte, we are really looking forward to our trip, especially as we sit here in rain lashed GB, having had no summer at all!

Typical, the home weather is now sunny and warm (for Scotland) for the first time for weeks, maybe even months, and we are soon to fly out to a damp Honolulu.

Oh well!!

last year that I have scheduled the trip again this year (SHHH don't tell the husband it is a surprise anniversary present. Hotel on points, Air Fare on miles (unbelievable $20.00 plus miles that were just sitting there unused since the miles weren't on an airline of first choice) so just the cruise and excursions to pay for :)

Last year we love Jefferson's Bistro and the Lazy J. Didn't care at all for the italian restaurant but it may have been that the service was horrible. The couple of meals we ate in the main dining room were fine! Teppanyakis was fun...bought the Silver wine package (I think it was silver) and that gave us a bottle of wine in four specialty restaurants plus reservations that we were able to make the first day! We dressed restort casual every night...

At the ports we did a mixture of ship's excursions and a rental car. Worked well for us and since we have been uprooted as well the shipboard credit paid for a good part of our unboard costs.

Archived