Visa for Australia

JELCAP

Hi-

We are cruising on the Millenium in January and have been told we need a visa. We recently travelled to Turkey and were able to pick it up on arrival at the airport with great ease. Does anyone know if there is a similar process in the Sydney airport or is it something we should apply for now?

I appreciate any feedback anyone has.

Thanks, Jeanne

Hi-

We are cruising on the Millenium in January and have been told we need a visa. We recently travelled to Turkey and were able to pick it up on arrival at the airport with great ease. Does anyone know if there is a similar process in the Sydney airport or is it something we should apply for now?

Thanks, Jeanne

Yes, you do need a Visa. I obtained our's online. I didn't save that site, or I would post it here. Just Google it, and sign up online. Then check with your airline and make sure they have that information. I believe it's linked by using your names.

Our travel agent did it for us - we were going to get it online, but she just happened to mention that she was able to do it at no charge. We faxed her the page from our passports. You do not get a paper visa, it is online when the immigration people scan your passport upon arrival.

Sheila

Worth checking with the airline you are flying with, to see if they will do it for you for free. Last time we went United did it for free. This time I spoke to Air New Zealand who said no one does it for free.

As we are flying on points I spoke to Aeroplan and they did it for free. No harm in asking.

If you are booked through a travel agency who also has an air department, they can get it for free for you. It is nothing special. They can e-mail it to you. If they try to charge, find another agency to work with.

If you use Pepto Bismal for that occasional tummy problem take it with you. Absolutely not available in Auzzie land (pharmacist said main ingredient is not allowed). Also use sun screen and a good hat -- sun is very strong there. Have a great trip. Hope I get to join you as another trip to Australia is VERY high on my list. (spent 34 days there on land trip and know 60 more would not be near enough to see it all).

It is easy to get the visa on line. You will receive a number and can print the reply from the computer. I then wrote the number and taped it to the back of my passport so I wouldn't loose it. I had gotten that before our cruise, but it depends on if you are sailing in or out of Australia. If your cruise is going into Australia, the cruise line gets it for you and the cost is figured in on the trip cost, so check with your travel agent! Have a terrific trip..we loved our experiences!:)

If you use Pepto Bismal for that occasional tummy problem take it with you. Absolutely not available in Auzzie land (pharmacist said main ingredient is not allowed). Also use sun screen and a good hat -- sun is very strong there. Have a great trip. Hope I get to join you as another trip to Australia is VERY high on my list. (spent 34 days there on land trip and know 60 more would not be near enough to see it all).

And we've discovered that Pepto is THE BEST for that "nasty shipboard problem" that crops up (or on any trip abroad)....first time we had a problem...we took Imodium....several times...worked for a couple hrs. The medical dept aboard ship advised Pepto! I said in all my great wisdom..."that old fashioned stuff...and it tastes awful...." BUT IT WORKED!!!! So now I carry the tablets with us on ANY trip even here in the good old USA. Still tastes awful...but with the pills or chew ables it's not a problem!! Wish OUR TA would do it for free...but he advised the address above I think...other sites try to charge you 35-45$$!! This is an electronic Visa...when they check your passport it shows up that you have the visa...if you feel you want to take the number suppose you can do what poster above suggested but don't think it's necessary.

I hope you have a wonderful trip to our beautiful country!! I see that the department of immigration site has been listed above, so if your travel agent can not get your visa, you will not have a problem getting one online.

We are off to San Francisco to start a cruise on 1 October and we are very excited to explore your part of the world! It is my second trip to the US, but the first for my husband. Our cruise finishes in Fort Lauderdale and then we fly to Minnesota to spend a week with friends. Can't wait!!!

By the way, if Pepto Bismol is for heartburn and upset stomach, you can get Mylanta and also Quick-Eze here.

Do you suppose that the "black tongue" and the yucky taste is what makes Pepto Bismal work -- mind the throne! For our Australian friends Pepto Bismal is a pink liquid or pink tablet that is different from Mylanta (or anything else really) that is an over the counter remedy for upset stomach and diarreha. Hope you don't need it in America but if tummy is hurting lots of Americans grab the pink bottle. In Australia I used up my supply after the tasting session on Vegimite that some Australians thoughtfully supplied:o Hey it at least makes Pepto Bismal taste pretty good! Have a great trip to America.

In Australia I used up my supply after the tasting session on Vegimite that some Australians thoughtfully supplied:o Hey it at least makes Pepto Bismal taste pretty good! Have a great trip to America.

Thanks, I am sure I will have a great trip!! I think you have to be born eating vegemite to appreciate it. I love the stuff!! But every American I have ever given Vegemite to has not been too impressed, even when it was spready very thinly on the bread! Even the most polite person nods politely and forces a strained smile after they have had a tiny nibble and I enthusiastically ask what they thought. None of my US friends has ever eaten more than that one first tiny bite. Oh well, more for me!

It is easy to get the visa on line. You will receive a number and can print the reply from the computer. I then wrote the number and taped it to the back of my passport so I wouldn't loose it. I had gotten that before our cruise, but it depends on if you are sailing in or out of Australia. If your cruise is going into Australia, the cruise line gets it for you and the cost is figured in on the trip cost, so check with your travel agent! Have a terrific trip..we loved our experiences!:)

Celebrity didn't obtain visas for all its US passengers on our cruise. It was Auckland to Sydney and there were a number of passengers that didn't have visas. Onboard they were offering assistance to obtain them using the website (http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/). I believe at passengers expense for internet time, although I am not sure about this.

By the way, if Pepto Bismol is for heartburn and upset stomach, you can get Mylanta and also Quick-Eze here.

Sorry...they just don't work...nor does Tums~ Imodium and other highly touted products...I didn't believe it either until I tried it after the ships Dr prescribed it. As a child I hated the taste...still do. I take the "Purple Pill" prescription also for the upper tract but only the Pepto pills for the other... Believe me they work! I was so thankful when they put out the pills so I wouldn't have to drink the stuff(BUT they don't seem to have any generic equivalent)

Hi-

Thanks, Jeanne

Yes you do and here is the website, http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

Hope that helps!!!

Thanks, everyone, for your great feedback. It was interesting to learn about the E-Visa. That seems like it will work out very well. Thanks also for posting the website. We were able to go right in and purchase it.

Happy sailing, Jeanne

Is my husband correct in that you need more than 6 months on your passport before you can get an Australian Visa? I may have to check that out too. He said that when he went there for work he had to have an emergency passport renewal because his only had 5 months left on it. He said Australia was a beautiful country and the people were so friendly, looking forward to our trip.

Archived