How does Princess...........

Texas_firefighter

The larger Princess ships can only go as far as Quebec City, as they won't clear the bridges farther upstream.

If Princess runs one of the R-class ships (Tahitian soon to be Ocean, Pacific, Royal) they can go all the way to Montreal, which I think is preferable.

A run up the Saguenay Fjord is very pretty - I don't know if the Grand and modified Grand class go up there.

I first sailed Montreal to NYC on Crystal Harmony (now Asuka II), a 45,000 tonner, 10-92. Caught the turning of the colors just right.

Repeated the trip, Montreal to NYC on Westerdam (now Costa Europa), a 56,000 tonner, 9-97. Missed the turning of the colors.

9-97. Missed the turning of the colors.
FYI, I spoke to my daughter a little while ago and as she was driving through Franconia Notch, she commented that the leaves there are already starting to turn. It's been a very rainy summer and has turned quite cold at night (40s) so maybe fall foliage will be early this year. When the NH mountains start turning, the New England Coast is about a month behind. Usually, the 2nd week in October is close to peak or just past peak.

I would definitely do the one-way 10-day cruise rather than the 7-day roundtrip. You see much more. We did the Quebec City to NYC cruise in 2006 on the Sea Princess. That ship no longer does that itinerary so I can't comment on the ships that sail there now.

Your best bet is to go to www.princess.com and use their Find a Cruise feature. There, you'll find the dates and itineraries; perhaps one will appeal to you.

Thanks Pam, I'm familiar with research methods and have done as you suggest,this great CC message board is another valuable tool as well and I appreciate my helpful fellow cruise enthusiasts who share their experience and insight, which always seems to reveal more than an itenerary can just in print only.

FYI, I spoke to my daughter a little while ago and as she was driving through Franconia Notch, she commented that the leaves there are already starting to turn. It's been a very rainy summer and has turned quite cold at night (40s) so maybe fall foliage will be early this year. When the NH mountains start turning, the New England Coast is about a month behind. Usually, the 2nd week in October is close to peak or just past peak.

Thanks for the tip on a good time to go,it all helps.

The larger Princess ships can only go as far as Quebec City, as they won't clear the bridges farther upstream.

If Princess runs one of the R-class ships (Tahitian soon to be Ocean, Pacific, Royal) they can go all the way to Montreal, which I think is preferable.

A run up the Saguenay Fjord is very pretty - I don't know if the Grand and modified Grand class go up there.

I first sailed Montreal to NYC on Crystal Harmony (now Asuka II), a 45,000 tonner, 10-92. Caught the turning of the colors just right.

Repeated the trip, Montreal to NYC on Westerdam (now Costa Europa), a 56,000 tonner, 9-97. Missed the turning of the colors.

Thanks so much.

I would definitely do the one-way 10-day cruise rather than the 7-day roundtrip. You see much more. We did the Quebec City to NYC cruise in 2006 on the Sea Princess. That ship no longer does that itinerary so I can't comment on the ships that sail there now.

The Sea Princess is back on that run this year. Two cruises in September and two in October. We are booked for the last one 10-13-08 out of Quebec, can't wait. :D

The Sea Princess is back on that run this year. Two cruises in September and two in October. We are booked for the last one 10-13-08 out of Quebec, can't wait. :D

I really like the looks of this one,thanks for the recommendation! The Sea Princess sounds like a great ship too.I really like the overnight in Quebec City. Lot's of research to do,but that's part of the fun.

We enjoyed our Sea Princess cruise. The ship is a nice size - not too large. The Italian bistro is very nice. We ate there several times when our excursion schedule made us miss lunch in the dining room. It was much nicer than eating in the Horizon Court. We had booked an OV but at the last minute were bumped up to a balcony.

We booked a private tour in Bar Harbor with a Scottish couple on our roll call. The 4 of us booked a private van and went all around the area and up to Cadillac Mountain. It was a great 3 hours. I also hightly recommend that you go to Peggy's Cove. It wasn't something that I particularly wanted to do since I thought it would be very touristy but we booked the excursion to get out of Halifax since it was very crowded that day. I was surprised that it was essentially unspoiled and quite beautiful. Our pictures from the cruise are at the link below.

Judy checked out your pictures for the Canada - New England cruise and the Sea Princess. Great pictures, thank you for posting them. Any suggestions you have for this trip would be greatly appreciated.

Have you decided what you are going to do in each of the ports yet?

My wife has told me she thinks she'd like to do

1) Chateau Fontenac in Quebec, the rest is open

2) On PEI she would like to see the Ann of Green Gables house but dosen't want to do a seven hour tour

3)the tea at the fort in Halifax.

4)No idea on the rest of the ports.

Me I'd be happy staying on the ship but, I do what makes her happy when I can.

My wife has told me she thinks she'd like to do

1) Chateau Fontenac in Quebec, the rest is open

2) On PEI she would like to see the Ann of Green Gables house but dosen't want to do a seven hour tour

3)the tea at the fort in Halifax.

4)No idea on the rest of the ports.

Me I'd be happy staying on the ship but, I do what makes her happy when I can.

We went to Montmorency Falls in Quebec. It was a nice trip and the falls are beautiful but a little bit of a disappointment after having seen Niagara Falls and all the waterfalls in Alaska. :)

We rented a car in Sydney and drove to Fortress Louisburg. It was a very good restoration and we enjoyed it very much.

I highly recommend going to Peggy's Cove from Halifax. It was beautiful!

We went to Rose Island in Newport and toured the lighthouse. It was very interesting. I wasn't interested in seeing the mansions.

In Boston we took the Trolley and saw the sights on our own.

We didn't go to PEI so I it sounds like the itinerary has changed.

Don't stay on the ship!:eek: There are too many things to see in the ports.

Archived