$10.00 per person per day, thats all !!!!!!!

Terry305

If the rooms do end up being booked like that we will try to take care of it onboard. I guess what I'm still lost on if I do plan on cruising again before 25... Carnivals website states if you are UNDER the age of 21, not 21 and under. As long as you are 21 on the day of embarkment it appears you are okay. Anyways, I will make sure to get on touch with my TA anyways just to make sure no issues will arise.

I would also like to thank you for looking out for somebody you don't even know. This is the reason why i enjoy this community so much.

No Problem! Just have a great time!!

The sentence in the FAQ section that confuses everyone is:

"Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older."

You can be 21 to cruise but they are saying someone in the cabin has to be 25... that's how I read it.. but its irrelevant now! Enjoy! What ports are you visiting??

I read it the same way as you did. I just don't get that logic.

I'm of the camp that if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't take the cruise. Like you, tipping is just part of the cost. I can't imagine receiving service bad enough to warrant my removing the tip.

Tgreene, you are not one of the cheap people that terry305 is referring to (though I agree with you on her overuse of the word "cheap.") You are planning on the additional $140 for you and your girlfriend - you don't intend to stiff the staff.

lol I apologyze If I am offending anyone, my english is not the best one lol, my english vocabulary is not as enriched as the spanish that I speak, I will ask dear daughter to teach me some better words, lol, I dont mean to offend anyone, I know frugal is not the word to use, and I do sometimes said it becasue some people just deserve it but I will keep and eye on myself when I am going to use that word. lol;)

No Problem! Just have a great time!!

The sentence in the FAQ section that confuses everyone is:

"Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older."

You can be 21 to cruise but they are saying someone in the cabin has to be 25... that's how I read it.. but its irrelevant now! Enjoy! What ports are you visiting??

We are doing the exotic western side I believe it is called. We are cruising on the Valor on Jan 4th. This will be my first carnival ship so I am incredibly excited. My last eight years on spring break have been spent in Puerto Vallarta right along the Marina. Every year I have run into people who cruise Carnival and they have nothing but great things to say. I am in awe every time i see the ships docked and have finally decided to change things up a bit and cruise. My previous two ships when I vacationed with my parents were both on RCCL ships.

We are visiting Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands ; Isla Roatan ; Belize ; Cozumel, Mexico. I am incredibly excited especially since i have never been to Isla Roatan and Belize.

Also, Terry, no hard feelings =)

We are doing the exotic western side I believe it is called. We are cruising on the Valor on Jan 4th. This will be my first carnival ship so I am incredibly excited. My last eight years on spring break have been spent in Puerto Vallarta right along the Marina. Every year I have run into people who cruise Carnival and they have nothing but great things to say. I am in awe every time i see the ships docked and have finally decided to change things up a bit and cruise. My previous two ships when I vacationed with my parents were both on RCCL ships.

We are visiting Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands ; Isla Roatan ; Belize ; Cozumel, Mexico. I am incredibly excited especially since i have never been to Isla Roatan and Belize.

Awesome... I never did that itinerary!! - I am dying to go to Riviera Maya to an all inclusive... Looking into that...

Have a wonderful time:D :)

My take on the age 21 rule is that cruises are geared towards those 21 years of age and older. They only invite kids on board because that is pure easy-money for the cruiselines... most are crammed into their parents rooms.

With all the drinking, the gambling, adult shows, etc., they do not want an underage adult (18 to 20 years) hanging out by themselves getting into trouble. Let's fave it, those age groups will want to be drinking, and that doesn't conform to the ship's rules.

So what were trying to accomplish by grilling this guy?:confused:

Are you trying to determine if he is pond scum? You don't like to judge?

When you spoke to the pursers,did you ask them why they don't pay the crew a salary?Do you ask them how a big corporation like they are can allow the crew to be stiffed?

Why does everyone take it out on the guy who removes the tips and not the actual entity that has the power to prevent this from happening. The solution is with CCL itself and why everyone continues to ignore that is beyond me. It appears they are aware and that is why they instituted auto tipping but since the problem is still there,thay have all the power to fix it.

So next time your on a cruise,your sailing with a company that has little regards for it staff since they allow them to be stiffed so easily when they can put a stop to it in an instant just so they can give the public an illusion they are a great deal.:rolleyes:

That makes everyone an enabler.

Steve

Whatever excuse or rationalization you wish to use for not tipping is your business. The negative judgments are not of the excuses, but of the stingy personality.

RE: asking the ship why they don't pay a salary. Well you know they do. It is a small [even token] salary. But they ALSO cover ROOM and FOOD and MEDICAL.

When you go out to eat on land, do YOU ask the restaurant why they pay an hourly rate BELOW $3.00 per hour. With NO room or food or MEDICAL, but including split shifts? And do you ask them why they have been doing it this way for many years BEFORE the first CRUISESHIP even existed?

OR

Would you prefer that they add 35% to you bill with no recourse on your part? 35% to cover the new higher salaries paid to the workers, PLUS the employees contribution to SS and Medicare. AND plus the extra fees the employer pockets, according to you. A claim made and insisted upon without a shred of ANY information to back it up. And if the land restaurant were to include room and board and medical for their tipped workers, you wolud be lucky if your tab ONLY doubled.

You say the dining on Carnival is not fine dining. I do not care for the silly parades and singing either, but neither do I EAT the parades. The food itself is on a par or in most cases, superior to any restaurant you can visit in Palm Bay or Melbourne, or Vero. When I have finished dining, I walk out. If I have to walk thru the parade, I do.

So if you wish to start a, "include it all in the bill," campaign. [A completely illogical idea.] Start with the land restaurants that have done business as usual far longer than any cruiseline.

Oh, and yes, the guy is pond scum and a sadly inept liar. [NOT an opinion, but singular and obvious conclusion.]

Dan

Well then have a great cruise!

I would still be curious to learn how you booked, at under 25 yrs old.. that question comes up alot on this board...

Toni,

You only have to be 21. If he and his girlfriend are both 21 or older, it's not a problem. You need somebody 25 or older if there's somebody under 21 in the cabin.

You picked a great ship! I did the Valor Eastern last fall, and I liked the Valor so much, I did the western in April! And, you're sailing on my birthday : ) Have a GREAT cruise!! Feel free to ask anything you want. Warning - topics like booze smuggling, smoking, tips, and dress codes bring out the most opinions :)

Toni,

You only have to be 21. If he and his girlfriend are both 21 or older, it's not a problem. You need somebody 25 or older if there's somebody under 21 in the cabin.

OHHHHHHHH DUH!

Reading comprehension!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

On our recent Fantasy cruise we only tipped our waiter and his asst a little more...$20 to our waiter and $15 to his asst. We didn't see them get any other additional tips on the last night and we didn't want to make it too obvious and embarass our table mates so we tried to be last to leave. It wasn't that much extra (they were a great team!!) but they seemed very grateful. We gave the matre'd just $5 (I may have flubbed that..I'm not sure what is expected for a 5 night cruise) and we tipped room service $3 each morning. We did not tip our room steward any additional as our room cleanliness on arrival left something to be desired and he didn't get to our cabin as early as we wished he would have. (Perhaps not even his fault if he had more cabins than he could handle in a timely fashion). Oh, well, we did what we could.

One question. Are additional tips kept or pooled?

Whatever excuse or rationalization you wish to use for not tipping is your business. The negative judgments are not of the excuses, but of the stingy personality.

RE: asking the ship why they don't pay a salary. Well you know they do. It is a small [even token] salary. But they ALSO cover ROOM and FOOD and MEDICAL.

When you go out to eat on land, do YOU ask the restaurant why they pay an hourly rate BELOW $3.00 per hour. With NO room or food or MEDICAL, but including split shifts? And do you ask them why they have been doing it this way for many years BEFORE the first CRUISESHIP even existed?

OR

Would you prefer that they add 35% to you bill with no recourse on your part? 35% to cover the new higher salaries paid to the workers, PLUS the employees contribution to SS and Medicare. AND plus the extra fees the employer pockets, according to you. A claim made and insisted upon without a shred of ANY information to back it up. And if the land restaurant were to include room and board and medical for their tipped workers, you wolud be lucky if your tab ONLY doubled.

You say the dining on Carnival is not fine dining. I do not care for the silly parades and singing either, but neither do I EAT the parades. The food itself is on a par or in most cases, superior to any restaurant you can visit in Palm Bay or Melbourne, or Vero. When I have finished dining, I walk out. If I have to walk thru the parade, I do.

So if you wish to start a, "include it all in the bill," campaign. [A completely illogical idea.] Start with the land restaurants that have done business as usual far longer than any cruiseline.

Oh, and yes, the guy is pond scum and a sadly inept liar. [NOT an opinion, but singular and obvious conclusion.]

Dan

Excellent post

TGreene ,no hard feelings, we are just giving opinions and you have yours, like I do mine, BTW the Valor is so nice, we sail on her in March 06, very nice ship , you and your girlfriend will have a great time for sure.

Tery:)

No, but in regards to a land restaurant,I don't lean over the table and ask the guy why he is only tipping 10% or none at all which the person in my reply was grilling a perfect stranger about,which was the basis of my reply

Would you prefer that they add 35% to you bill with no recourse on your part? 35% to cover the new higher salaries paid to the workers, PLUS the employees contribution to SS and Medicare

If that is what is needed to ensure that hard working people get the proper wage for the work they do then yes.

Why do you have a problem with my wanting the crew to get a fare wage?Don't you want to be paid fairly and not have to be worried that a large group stiffs them?

Are you one of those internet people who states one thing and does another hiding behind a key board?

They work hard and it appears everyone wants to make sure they get their tips,all of them,and a salary is the best way to insure that.

AND plus the extra fees the employer pockets, according to you. A claim made and insisted upon without a shred of ANY information to back it up.

Well I have posted information but you seem to dispute it.Its really the other way around,you have no information to dispute my claim.

You really believe they,CCL wires millions all around the world for free?

You really believe that there is so much emphasis put on people removing the tips by supervisors is just for customer service?Its because they want their share,they want auto tipping so they get their share.

You say the dining on Carnival is not fine dining. I do not care for the silly parades and singing either, but neither do I EAT the parades. The food itself is on a par or in most cases, superior to any restaurant you can visit in Palm Bay or Melbourne, or Vero.

What? "Chart house" for starters,but CCLs food is no better than the Golden Corral buffett for Lunch and dinner,and even Denny's is better for breakfast.

Why is it illogical? Is NCL illigocal? They for all purpose have it made it better for the workers to get their wages by using the "Service charge" as a form of wage guarantee.

I have read many of your postings and I don't see why you would have a problem with wanting the crew to get their fare wage.If there was something that would do that,why the opposition?:confused:

They work hard and deserve the monies coming to them.

Steve:D

So what were trying to accomplish by grilling this guy?:confused:

Are you trying to determine if he is pond scum? You don't like to judge?

When you spoke to the pursers,did you ask them why they don't pay the crew a salary?Do you ask them how a big corporation like they are can allow the crew to be stiffed?

Why does everyone take it out on the guy who removes the tips and not the actual entity that has the power to prevent this from happening. The solution is with CCL itself and why everyone continues to ignore that is beyond me. It appears they are aware and that is why they instituted auto tipping but since the problem is still there,thay have all the power to fix it.

So next time your on a cruise,your sailing with a company that has little regards for it staff since they allow them to be stiffed so easily when they can put a stop to it in an instant just so they can give the public an illusion they are a great deal.:rolleyes:

That makes everyone an enabler.

Steve

only certain types need to be called pond scum..I don't..and I didn't mention it..you did. Guessing you remove??? OK by me

The salary scale..isnt based on USA's economy, as shiping lines are NOT registered here, but do have offices around the globe.So why would I (and you miss read-I didnt speak to the purser re: tipping )..they don't set the scale. No one can regiment the human nature factor.Yes, removing is allowed.. I don't, and I tip extra. The cruising dollar is affordable by many, and in the grand scale of extra expenditures, is it all THAT for the auto-tip scheme to be instituted? Large US hotels/restautants pay very little per shift, that are tippable..and wait staff depends largely on tips...Ask any restaurant server! No p-ing contest about CCL or any line "allowing stiffing", it is not their fault that some pax do.. So I remain, an enabler., I appreciate your comments as do other enablers....I'm still...Lucky

[

What? "Chart house" for starters,but CCLs food is no better than the Golden Corral buffett for Lunch and dinner,and even Denny's is better for breakfast.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Many of us like the food we ate at the cruises, I am one of them, with all respect Stevee sounds like you want us to feel like we dont know about food, I hope you can understand what I am telling you, I don't agree that the diners at the ship can be compared to the Golden Corral Yukkkkkkk or Dennys please. Everyone has different taste buds and standars, many here enjoy the meals at Carnival, including me of course. I totally disagree in your statement. thats just my opinion.

No, but in regards to a land restaurant,I don't lean over the table and ask the guy why he is only tipping 10% or none at all which the person in my reply was grilling a perfect stranger about,which was the basis of my reply

Seems to me that the "Big Guy" who was being grilled may have started the whole thing by interrupting the poster who was already talking to the purser. Obviously waiting in line has no meaning for the Big Guy. Yeah, if someone is going to interrupt me after I've waited politely in line I'm going to have a problem with it. And that could well include asking about the business that he felt was more important than anyone elses.

If that is what is needed to ensure that hard working people get the proper wage for the work they do then yes.

Why do you have a problem with my wanting the crew to get a fare wage?

Let's see it's $3.50 per person per day for the steward. Last cruise our steward had 14 cabins and no assistant. If there are only 2 per cabin (some had more) that's about $100 per day times 7 days is $700 per week. Yeah, the cruise lines were really stickin' it to him. (And yes he did a great job and we tipped extra in cash.)Don't you want to be paid fairly and not have to be worried that a large group stiffs them?

I would like him/her to be paid fairly by all of the employers who with the current system are the passengers. It's another good reason for having a service charge instead of gratuities.

Are you one of those internet people who states one thing and does another hiding behind a key board?No. Are you?

They work hard and it appears everyone wants to make sure they get their tips,all of them,and a salary is the best way to insure that.Did you read the post where I explained the financail benefit of tips, gratuities or sevice charges? The change to a salary will cost you more. Period.

Well I have posted information but you seem to dispute it.Its really the other way around,you have no information to dispute my claim.

You really believe that there is so much emphasis put on people removing the tips by supervisors is just for customer service?Its because they want their share,they want auto tipping so they get their share.

It's your opinion. But, I disagree.

Why is it illogical? Is NCL illigocal? They for all purpose have it made it better for the workers to get their wages by using the "Service charge" as a form of wage guarantee.

I have read many of your postings and I don't see why you would have a problem with wanting the crew to get their fare wage.If there was something that would do that,why the opposition?:confused:

They work hard and deserve the monies coming to them.And on that point we can agree.:)

Charlie

you get "it"..and comprehend as well..yer prolly very handsome too!..love to cruze w/you sometime..didnt really grill...but did manage to take up some of the BG's precious cruze time, as he took up mine by his interruptive behaviour. :D lucky

Quote:

You say the dining on Carnival is not fine dining. I do not care for the silly parades and singing either, but neither do I EAT the parades. The food itself is on a par or in most cases, superior to any restaurant you can visit in Palm Bay or Melbourne, or Vero.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said, "on a par or superior." And the Chart House is your come back. You forgot to do the smiley:D. The Chart House is on a par and is superior in regards to most beef dishes. The beef is the same quality but beef is not a good choice for banquet style dinners. They also serve about 80% fewer meals per week in a facility maybe one third as large. So with plenty of advantages, CH comes out about the same. But at a higher price. And they pay well below minimum wage too.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote Steveaaaa,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Where and when did you post info other than your own conjecture? Carnival has publicly stated they do not keep any thing back from the auto-tips and their public statements have been copied on CC home pages and on this board. If you want to say you do not believe them on principle, OK. I cannot say they are being truthful, I can only say they claim they don't get into the workers money. Do you have a fact that they do?

Wiring money all over the world? Computer is programed with all the info. Payday, BAMM, a keystroke. Big deal.

Dan

Guys I like the food in the cruises, lol

Is someone considered them the Golden Corral is upt to them, the next thing that it will be compared is to mc donalds???

:) Terry

I don't want my comparison to Golden Corral or Denny's to be construed wrong. I like their food. I love the Steaks and the Pot Roast at Golden,plus they have a real nice salad bar.

When I do eat breakfast, I love Denny's Grandslam as well.

I have always compared CCL to Walmart and it is a compliment,not an insult.

I personally......don't think that the pre-prepared food on CCL is better than the places I mentioned. I don't like the attempt at art on my plate,I don't like the inability to choose my side,and I don't think the Lobster or prime rib compare to some better establishments in my area.But I will gladly eat both.:)

Steve

Quote Steveaaaa,

"Why is it illogical? Is NCL illigocal? They for all purpose have it made it better for the workers to get their wages by using the "Service charge" as a form of wage guarantee.

They work hard and deserve the monies coming to them."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'd just as soon get out of this useless discussion, but your remark above is just too snide and slimy to ignore.

Tipping income is an incentive program. Many have no business in the service industry. Tipping, or the lack of it, is a good way to weed out those that would be happier in another line of work. I worked all my life either for commissions or for profits. If I did not preform, I didn't make much money. Tipping is much the same way. Is tipping a wonderful system? No it is NOT. But there is not a wonderful system for a very tough job like personal service.

With tipping, the best get rewarded the most, the worst, the least. With a service charge or inclusion in the fare, the only incentive is to do just enough to keep from being fired. And a large percentage of middle managers are very reluctant to EVER fire anybody. So a poor worker can last years doing a crap job.

So you ask why I don't want it added into the fare or a service charge? Incentive, plain and simple.

You want it to be a salary or a service charge? Then why complain about auto-tips? $10 pppd auto-tip for a 7 day cruise is $70. $70. added to the fare is $70. $10. service charge is $70. Why does it bother you? Because YOU and ? have decided that Carnival takes a piece of the $70,? How does a service charge escape a company dip? or a fare addition? Do you have some info that NCL [a company with some severe financial worries] does not take a piece of the service charges.

Tipping is not a perfect system but it does reward the best and helps weed out the worst.

Your cure is an aspirin for a compound fracture. Useless.

Dan

Guys I like the food in the cruises, lol

Is someone considered them the Golden Corral is upt to them, the next thing that it will be compared is to mc donalds???

:) Terry

Personally I'd take McD's over the Corral any time. Just my preference but at least a Big Mac has some flavor. Both are in reality fast food with different presentations.

Both come in the back door frozen or pre-prepared. As opposed to the food that is actually cooked for the buffets on board any ship that I've been on. IMHO it is ludicrous to compare the food at your average land based buffet with the buffets served at sea.

I feel better now.:p

Charlie

I don't want my comparison to Golden Corral or Denny's to be construed wrong. I like their food. I love the Steaks and the Pot Roast at Golden,plus they have a real nice salad bar.

When I do eat breakfast, I love Denny's Grandslam as well.

I have always compared CCL to Walmart and it is a compliment,not an insult.

I personally......don't think that the pre-prepared food on CCL is better than the places I mentioned. I don't like the attempt at art on my plate,I don't like the inability to choose my side,and I don't think the Lobster or prime rib compare to some better establishments in my area.But I will gladly eat both.:)

Steve

DD loves the Golden Corral and she takes me often, their steak is hard , here in Miami is like 13 dollars p/p so I am not expecting filet mignon, they do a tasty sweet potatoe cacerole, we all have differents tastes I always mention that.:) I like Crackell Barrel breakfast as well, lol. better than Dennys GrandSlams:)

Archived