adv vs disadv to alaska ports

onehotpooh

i was thinking about going on an alaska cruise in july/aug 2010. i know the routes arent out yet- ive looked. i see theirs diff ports to leave out of- i.e. seattle or vancouver. i was wondering if one is better than the other. i hear vancouver is a beautiful city - 1 pnt for vancouver. flying in from fla, is there any rate differences or any differences to help me narrow down the ports/city .

pooh

have you been over to the alaska boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

to learn the difference between the roundtrips and the 1-way cruises.

seattle is only round-trips....vancouver has a few round-trips, but mostly 1-ways either to seward or whitter or ships coming from seward or whitter. if you think prices are bad flying to vancouver...look at the ones flying in or out of anchorage.

with the cruise itself, look at the glaciers they cruise...then research.

have fun planning your trip

I believe you indicated that you are flying in from FL.

If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I believe that if you are FLYING into Vancouver, passports are required.

If you fly into Seattle, then drive up or take a train, then passports are not required. BC and DL are still allowed as ID.

Also note that Canadian Immigration can be strict about any felons entering the country. A DWI received in the States is still considered a felony in Canada and they may not allow you into the country.

Also note from personal experience that I once visited Victoria with my daughter from a previous marriage. First thing Immigrations asked my daughter was " Where is your mother?" Bottom line, I didn't even think to get a letter from her mom prior to her flying out for a visit and we were on the next ferry back to the States.

i did some reasearch on the 2009 trips assuming they will be similar for 2010. i saw the one way trips and i dont think that will be our plan. im thinking seattle or vancouver round trip.

both princess, ncl and hal appear to go out from there. im going on a princess cruise in nov , perhaps they will give a discount for future cruises.

pooh

Hello,

Generally, airfares to Seattle are cheaper than to Vancouver, and there is an excellent bus system that connects Seattle's airport with the cruise terminals in Vancouver.

You are correct in that Vancouver is a truly beautiful city but so is Seattle.

Please do not agaonize over whether Seattle or Vancouver is the better port. A cruise to Alaska from either is a great treat.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

both princess, ncl and hal appear to go out from there. im going on a princess cruise in nov , perhaps they will give a discount for future cruises.

pooh

Pooh, what Princess will do is let you buy a future cruise credit, which means $100 deposit only for the next cruise AND on board credit ($100 for the cabin for a 7 day cruise). It's a good deal. We're taking the Golden Princess out of Seattle next July and we are using the FCC to do it. Our deposit was already paid and we start off with $100 for our cabin (which means that most of our tips are already paid). Works for me!

If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I believe that if you are FLYING into Vancouver, passports are required.

If you fly into Seattle, then drive up or take a train, then passports are not required. BC and DL are still allowed as ID.

The OP indicated she's thinking about going in 2010.... I think that by then passports are required for any form of entry. Though I could easily be wrong :)

For specifics regarding the routes, do check out the Alaska board that Toyz711 linked to. Leaving from Seattle gets you nearly two days of not much to see, whereas leaving from Vancouver gets you scenery for most of the trip. Also, Seattle departures can (though not necessarily) be rougher water for the first day or two vs. a Vancouver departure.

Archived