Rum cakes and Alaska

Last year, while on a Pacific Northwest repositioning cruise on Princess, we noticed they had Tortuga rum cakes in the gift shop onboard. We're going to be traveling on the Serenade to Alaska next week, and are wondering if the shops on Serenade also carry the rum cakes?

We haven't had one since we were in the Caribbean a few years back (the cost on Princess compared to what we paid in the Caribbean kept us from purchasing one, but now we're getting desperate!), and seeing them on a cruise from LA to Vancouver has us hoping that maybe Serenade will stock them as well - can anyone who's been on the Serenade to Alaska recently let me know if you've seen them? Thanks!

Thanks for the link - I do know about purchasing online, but liked the idea that we might be able to pick a couple up onboard! :)

As we live in BC and are sailing in and out of Vancouver, it's a lot easier - they won't ship many food products here, so it means a trip to the States to pick up a package.

Thanks for the link - I do know about purchasing online, but liked the idea that we might be able to pick a couple up onboard! :)

As we live in BC and are sailing in and out of Vancouver, it's a lot easier - they won't ship many food products here, so it means a trip to the States to pick up a package.

They should be able to ship that product anywhere. I'm not sure why Canada should stop that type of product from coming into the country.

Does Canada feel that the Canadians would get loopy from having too much rumcake???:rolleyes:

I purchase food items from the UK and have them shipped here to Arizona.

Rick

LOL!! No, nothing like that - it's usually the companies in the US or elsewhere that simply won't ship to Canada. It's not complicated....I have a company and ship products to the US all the time (even food products), but trying to get the same service in reverse can be tough. A lot of US companies shy away from the additional paperwork needed to ship to Canada, and with food products there are sometimes additional declarations that need to be filed (example, when I ship a food product to the US I have to fill out a "prior notice" form with the FDA). In many cases I think companies just don't want to have to figure out what's involved in shipping here - even big companies like Amazon. They'll send me books, but almost anything else they sell has "ships within the US only" in the small print....I have to get it sent to a receiver in the States and then drive down to pick it up.

So the question remains....do they sell the rum cakes in the gift shops onboard? :)

I think the reason you saw them on your Princess cruise is because the ship was repositioning from the Caribbean to Alaska.....was it in May? So they have the rum cakes in the shops from when they were in the Caribbean. Once they're sold out, they don't get more until they return to the Caribbean. I have seen the rum cakes on all of my northbound repositioning cruises in the spring, but when I did an Alaskan cruise (RT out of Vancouver) in September, there were no rum cakes. A lot of fleece and sweatshirts on sale in September (since the ship was returning to the Caribbean), but no rum cakes!

Happily, we're in Toronto, and recently found a store in The Beach that carries Tortuga Rum Cakes. I'm trying not to buy one every time I walk past, because then they won't be special. But it does take the edge off when you're really in withdrawal. :D

Archived