Transatlanic questions

amy417

We are thinking about a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to New york in Nov 2009. I love aft balconies and spend most of my sea day time there. Can anyone tell me what the weather should be like crossing the Atlanic in December. Being on the back of the ship cuts down on the wind considerably but if I can't use my balcony I will need to reconsider.

thanks in advance.

We are thinking about a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to New york in Nov 2009. I love aft balconies and spend most of my sea day time there. Can anyone tell me what the weather should be like crossing the Atlanic in December. Being on the back of the ship cuts down on the wind considerably but if I can't use my balcony I will need to reconsider.

thanks in advance.

I did a search check this thread

http://www.frommers.com/cgi-bin/WebX?128@@.ef4af71

amy417 -

We seem to specialize in T/As - in an aft cabin. Even on a rather choppy crossing in September via Iceland and Newfoundland we managed to work on our tans, since we were protected on our aft balcony. Next cruise is BCN-NYC in November 08 on Gem.

Rainbow-s.jpg.d149def62648a2b2acb8e880cabd97a8.jpg

We're big fans of transAtlantics (and transPacifics too).

That said, weather and sea state is always very difficult to predict.

On our Nov 95 transit, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale, on Maasdam, we had very smooth water to the Azores. West of the Azores, we did hit an Atlantic storm.

Water entered the hull via the hawsepipe (anchor chainway), and our cabin, on Main deck forward, flooded to a depth of about 4 inches, as did approx 6 other cabins in the vicinity.

Luckily, they had other cabins to which we could be moved.

Travel can be an adventure!

Check your ports on this cruise to see if you can determine whether they're sailing Northern or Southern route. Southern route will probably be pretty decent weather, Northern is a bit more "iffy". Many moons ago I crossed from Bremerhaven (Germany) to Brooklyn and the weather was great until we got within a day of port. Then we hit a blizzard. It's a chance but I'm sure you and Jessie would have a good time. If you think about it, everytime we board a ship we're taking a chance with the weather.

(We considered this cruise but the long flight is a serious deterrent.)

Have a great cruise.

amy417 -

We seem to specialize in T/As - in an aft cabin. Even on a rather choppy crossing in September via Iceland and Newfoundland we managed to work on our tans, since we were protected on our aft balcony. Next cruise is BCN-NYC in November 08 on Gem.

Please keep in touch and let me know how the weather is. amy417@att.net we are actually looking at the Gem from Barcelona to NYC in Nov 2009. We are looking at 10164 corner aft. We live for our aft balconies. The actual balcony is a big reason for our choice of ships. We are not foodies or pool goers we sort of stay to ourselves and read and enjoy each others company. So it is imporant to me o know if the aft balcony can be enjoyed. I love rocking ships but if it is too cold to sit on he balcony wrapped in a blanket (if necessary) I will be very disappointed.

Last year end of September we did a TA on the QM2. Weather was sunny and beautiful with some rough seas. We were on deck 8 with an obstructed balcony which actually made it very useable. The lifeboat blocked enough of the wind so I could sit out and enjoy the sun. The remainder of the outdoor decks were a waste as was the pool. The wind is just incredible. We were Southampton to NYC which is obviously the northern route.

Archived