Booking Question

renee in bama

Hi everyone. I am new to this board and new to cruising. DH and I are destination vacationers, but are considering a cruise for the first of the year. My question is, should we book through our TA or direct through Carnival? We have used the same TA for 6 years now, and she is great, but have never booked a cruise. Thanks......

[quote name='renee in bama']Hi everyone. I am new to this board and new to cruising. DH and I are destination vacationers, but are considering a cruise for the first of the year. My question is, should we book through our TA or direct through Carnival? We have used the same TA for 6 years now, and she is great, but have never booked a cruise. Thanks......[/QUOTE]
I think TA's are useless but thats MHO.
Book direct thru CCL and then after you are booked contact the TA to see what their price is.Don't tell them you booked with CCL already. This will enable you to see how much your TA likes you.
When the TA rate is higher,tell them what CCL qouted you and watch how quick they are to match it. This is their thanks to you.Quote you more to make more, then lower it if you got a better price.

If the TA is lower, than have CCL transfer the booking to your TA.

Then go to an online site and get more quotes and when you find a lower one, have the TA match it or you will cancel it with them.

Lastly, ask the TA what the penalty is if you cancel far in advance. CCL charges nothing, most TA's will rip you off a charge of $50 but they will claim it was a reservation fee.

Steve

I thoroughly researched all options before booking. All options priced at approximately the same price (including 3 different local TA). In the end I booked with my local TA for some of the personal touches (they make sure all my paperwork is done, remind of payments, etc).

My TA beat all the prices I found on the internet, from other TAs and from Carnival direct. It's just like having a contractor work on your house, you get some quotes first before you have the work done. You don't just book a cruise with one in hopes of getting a better price from another. If your TA is as fabulous as you say, then I don't think pricing will be an issue.

IMHO, I would rather deal with a TA directly than a person on the phone or via the www. At least you have someone to work with if something goes wrong.

[b]Check all sources before you actually book the cruise. Local TA, online agency, and Carnival direct. Ask lots of questions of each one. Make SURE the amount you are quoted [i]includes[/i] port charges and taxes. Also ask the TA or online agcy about any [i]additional[/i] fees or charges they might impose. Get the bottom line figure you will be paying. Then compare all.[/b]

[b]Everybody has their own "best" way to book, and swear by it. And that's ok, too.[/b]

[b]I, for one, stick with a Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner), and have saved $$ each and every time over the past four cruises and the one coming up next week. I have been able to get upgrades and/or shipboard credits on each cruise.:) (In my earlier cruises, I always used a local TA.)[/b]

Archived