Snorkeling Question

lawtyger

Today we are making our final decision on which cruise to take the week of November 9th and one difference is on cruise like stops at Tortola and the other doesn't (instead it does Dominica and St. Kitts).

In terms of snorkeling, we are trying to get an idea what options there are. It is often difficult sort through snorkeling post because a lot of people get excited about pretty basic snorkeling such as sandy bottom and seeing a few fish. I'm inquiring more about snorkeling at reef or structure (even from shore if possible). Snorkeling similar to what you may find at Tabyana Beach in Roatan, the various reefs at Grand Cayman (i.e. Eden Rock, Cheeseburger Reef, Cemetery Reef, etc.), at Cozumel (i.e. Dzul Ha pre-hurricane).

I've seen RMS Rhone mentioned numerous times but get the impression the "sites to see" are diver accessible as opposed to geared for snorkelers (correct me if I'm wrong).

Ultimately, what we need to determine is whether Tortola worth snorkeling or if snorkeling would be better had in any of the other possible ports (Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, Dominica, St. Kitts, St. Thomas).

To sum up, we are not set on snorkeling in Tortola, but don't want to miss snorkeling there if it offers the type of snorkeling Roatan offers. If not, my wife will HAPPILY be making arrangements to get to the "baths" she keeps telling me about.

Thanks for any input.

The wreck of the RMS Rhone is split into two parts, the bow is intact in deeper water, about 80'. It is visible for the surface most days but lousy for snorkeling. The Stern is broken up but the rudder comes to with in 10 feet of the surface and is great for snorkeling. If you have ever snorkeled on the Cali off Grand Cayman the stern of the Rhone is similar. I dove the Rhone with scuba gear but when we were at the stern there were snorkelers there as well.

Another good place to snorkel is the Baths of Virgin Gorda, although that is subject to conditions.

The wreck of the Rhone in Tortola is not suited to snorkeling at all.

We went diving in St. Thomas, and ended up right where they take all the snorkelers. I think the snorkelers had just as good of a time as we did. A couple small wrecks, a wall, some coral, lots of fish. I understand there are lots of great sites in St. Thomas...I would check there.

Archived