ages on Holland

lolo73

Hello, we will be taking a Mediterrean cruise next Sept and are torn between Holland and Princess. I called a agent and she is well versed with cruises and has taken over 100 of them. We're both 36 and she said her customers complaints were to do with Holland and how ages are older and the nightlife is very boring as everyone goes to sleep very early as Holland is for mostly older people. Is this the case? should we play it safe and take princess instead??

very confusing help!!!

Just back from a 15-day transatlantic cruise on the Eurodam with my wife. We are both 37. We had an absolutely wonderful time!! There were all different ages on board from retirees to one young couple who were each 28 years old travelling with their 8 month old son. There was something for everyone. My wife and I spent almost every night in the Northern Lights disco dancing and enjoying ourselves. DJ Glenn played a great mix of danceable music. It was a great time.:)

HAL has guests the same ages as every other main stream cruise line on the usual 7 and 10 day cruises. HAL offers a great many long cruises of 30+ days and they always attract an older group. Who else has the time to cruise so long?

Your well experienced TA might have mentioned that distinction.

On any 7 day Caribbean cruise you will find as many young 'uns on HAL as Princess etc On a 10-12 day summer Mediterannean cruise, it will be the same demographics as any other cruise line.

Many evenings on any line might be quiet on a very port intensive itinerary. When people tour for 6-10 hours daily, day after day, they often go to bed before midnight so they can be up early and ready to tour again the next day.

It can depend on many factors. Are you sailing on a Vista class? They have a younger demographic than the S & R classs ships. How long a cruise are you looking at? The longer the cruise generally the older the pax demographic.

lolo73 -

My first cruise was last year on the Noordam - I am in my late 30's and had a wonderful time. There was never a question of 'age' - infact, I never really noticed the 'ages' of my fellow passengers. I met wonderful people who were a joy to share my vacation with.

As for CowPrincess' response to you I agree with her completely - the only rude and abrupt response on this thread is yours to her.

Cruise will be 12-14 days in the Med. The ship for the Holland would be Ms oosterdam not sure which class that would be. I guess we are wondering what % of the people on the ship are in their 30's

Every voyage is different. There is no way to tell you what percent will be the age you want them to be.

For us, that has never been an issue. An interesting, polite, fun person of any age is an interesting, polite, fun person in our eyes.

I understand it is important to others.

If you feel it risky you might be surrounded by people described as senior or elderly, you by all means need to weigh and measure that as to importance in your eyes.

BTW...... I don't know of any ships that will be able to tell you percentage of 30 year olds for any cruise/any ship/any date far in advance.

Hope you find the perfect ship be it HOLLAND AMERICA LINE or another.

Holland America Line's ms Oosterdam is a Vista Class ship. Her sisters are Zuiderdam, Westerdam and the very beautiful Noordam.

Hello, we will be taking a Mediterrean cruise next Sept and are torn between Holland and Princess. I called a agent and she is well versed with cruises and has taken over 100 of them. We're both 36 and she said her customers complaints were to do with Holland and how ages are older and the nightlife is very boring as everyone goes to sleep very early as Holland is for mostly older people. Is this the case? should we play it safe and take princess instead??

very confusing help!!!

We took our first cruise on HAL when we were only a few years older than you and never thought about it having "older" people.

When we took our grandson on a HAL cruise at age nine he might have thought people your age were older but he enjoyed the cruise and never said anything about "old" people.

This year we are taking the sister at age nine on a HAL cruise and I think she will have a good time also. It's the cruise experience and places we visit that are our main interest for her and were for him.

It sounds like you may be much happier with a Princess cruise. You should have a good time on a cruise and it should be memorable and not worry if there are too many people our age. We are also doing a Princess cruise this year, so we like a number of lines, mainly for the itinerary.

Thank you very much for your kind response!! Have you tried Princess at all?? how's the food and service?

We have been on Princess more than HAL but it has been a few years. I would hesitate to comment on the food and service but we are going with a brother and sister. It is their first cruise and I thought Princess would be a good cruise for their first.

There has never been a bad food or service on any of our cruises. But, let me say we always go with an open mind and have a good time even when things don't always go as planned.

Archived