Teeth Whitening onboard

FMCowboy

I have worked in a dental office for 31 years and there is no way that I would have someone on a cruise ship whiten my teeth unless it was a dentist.... There is too much that can go wrong IF the material used is actually strong enough to do much of anything. Don't know exactly the brand that they use, but if it is strong enough to work correctly, I would prefer that it be done by a dentist.... I have done the in office and at home whitening... Have a great cruise!

Do NOT get this done on a cruise ship! I can't imagine anyone would even consider it! Do you really think those spa employees are as well trained as a real dental technician at your dentist's office? I wouldn't risk it in a million years!

I can tell you this. My dh had the Zoom! done - at our dentist's office. His teeth were painfully sensitive for a couple of days afterwards. Would your wife enjoy that on her cruise? Afterwards you cannot eat or drink anything that will stain - no coffee, no tea, no red wine - I can't remember if it's just the remainder of that day or longer, but still.

I've read multiple times on the boards here that after the procedure they do a very hard sell - hundreds of dollars more for after care products they'll tell her she needs.

I'd give it a big fat "NO". Ask at your dentist's office; even it costs more, it will be worth it.

I'll add this - I had the custom trays made at the dentist's office and buy the whitening gel from her periodically. It worked GREAT. Every bit as well as the Zoom! and much less expensive. I would recommend that!

I saw in a July Carnival Capers where the Spa was advertising the treatment. They charge $199. They say it whitens teeth 1- 6 shades and takes 30 minutes. They called it the Go Smile teeth whitening sytems. There is a web site for that product. I haven't had it done but was thinking about it...so that's all I know.

I saw in a July Carnival Capers where the Spa was advertising the treatment. They charge $199. They say it whitens teeth 1- 6 shades and takes 30 minutes. They called it the Go Smile teeth whitening sytems. There is a web site for that product. I haven't had it done but was thinking about it...so that's all I know.

I had it done on Pacific Dawn $219 Australian 30 minutes

But Then its $65 a month per month aftercare

I haven't been to dentist since so Jury is out there as to if it was a foolish thing to do,

It is GO SMILE that they sold to me afterwards,

I only bought 2 months worth to be used alternative months.

I would not have it done again but Not because I have suffered side effects etc.

I just want to ask my dentist about it first

there is no way it can do 1-6 shades in 30 minutes. Our in office whitening takes about 90 minutes to 2 hrs and we usually get 3-6 shades. About 45 minutes is set up time to protect your gums. the material will burn like heck if this isn't done- so it makes me wonder just how effective this stuff is....ours also costs $400 for the in office and the trays to take home and use- so $199 seems high to me for 30 minutes worth....

From someone who actually had it done - It whitened teeth so many shades (5), I cried. I was shocked at the difference. There is a questionaire you have to fill out and if you have had certain dental work done, etc, you would not qualify for it.

As soon as my mother and my friend saw the difference, they both had it done and were also pleased with the difference. They didn't have the results I had, and I've talked to others who said they saw little difference, so the results won't be the same for everyone. None of us had any pain or sensitivity after the whitening.

The process takes more than an hour - as there was a lot of prep time. So if you have other things planned, keep that in mind. I think I was in there for almost a hour and 45 mins.

I did, however, ask my dentist about it and even printed out the information and provided what I had picked up on my last cruise for him to look at. He said he didn't see a problem with it and if I wanted to give it a try he didn't think there was any harm in it. This is not a dental procedure and is just an intense version of any whitening system you would use at home.

Beware though - there is a maintenance program on top of the initial procedure - and it is $50 every two months. I went ahead and purchased the maintenance for a year and total cost ended up being $400. It is very simple to do and I have been able to keep my teeth the same shade as when I first had it done.

From someone who actually had it done - It whitened teeth so many shades (5), I cried. I was shocked at the difference. There is a questionaire you have to fill out and if you have had certain dental work done, etc, you would not qualify for it.

As soon as my mother and my friend saw the difference, they both had it done and were also pleased with the difference. They didn't have the results I had, and I've talked to others who said they saw little difference, so the results won't be the same for everyone. None of us had any pain or sensitivity after the whitening.

The process takes more than an hour - as there was a lot of prep time. So if you have other things planned, keep that in mind. I think I was in there for almost a hour and 45 mins.

I did, however, ask my dentist about it and even printed out the information and provided what I had picked up on my last cruise for him to look at. He said he didn't see a problem with it and if I wanted to give it a try he didn't think there was any harm in it. This is not a dental procedure and is just an intense version of any whitening system you would use at home.

Beware though - there is a maintenance program on top of the initial procedure - and it is $50 every two months. I went ahead and purchased the maintenance for a year and total cost ended up being $400. It is very simple to do and I have been able to keep my teeth the same shade as when I first had it done.

I also had this done and had seen similar results. No sensitivity and I went up 4 shades. It was quite noticable. If there is a great deal on your cruise take a look at it.

First off lets start at the begining. Basically the whitening process is done by a various of different ways depending on the product. The whitening process that is usually done by a dental proffessional is done by oxidation of the stain on your teeth. There is different %'s and different peroxide that effects the results. The reason you go to a dental office is that % is higher than what can be sold outside the dental office. And you get the proper instructions and post-op care needed.

I looked into what they sold on the cruise ship last time I was there, rest assured there % is quiet low. So therefore you do not get any where near the same results as in a dental office. And in the end it would cost less.

Remeber people when you are whitening you can not have anything that will stain your teeth ie...red wine, coke, dark juices ect... You may end up with darker teeth! Now who is on a cruise to watch what they eat and drink?

Keep this in mind. If you go in, or call them in the cabin phone to inquire or ask questions..............they will hound you merclessly! I know from experience. And the closer it gets to the end of the cruise, the more they call, and the nastier they get!

There were many reasons I declined, but I couldn't imagine not being able to drink wine while on my vacation!

Good luck in your decision!

First off lets start at the begining. Basically the whitening process is done by a various of different ways depending on the product. The whitening process that is usually done by a dental proffessional is done by oxidation of the stain on your teeth. There is different %'s and different peroxide that effects the results. The reason you go to a dental office is that % is higher than what can be sold outside the dental office. And you get the proper instructions and post-op care needed.

I looked into what they sold on the cruise ship last time I was there, rest assured there % is quiet low. So therefore you do not get any where near the same results as in a dental office. And in the end it would cost less.

Remeber people when you are whitening you can not have anything that will stain your teeth ie...red wine, coke, dark juices ect... You may end up with darker teeth! Now who is on a cruise to watch what they eat and drink?

Sorry I forgot to add; that its within 48 hrs you can't have anything dark to drink. And some clarification; it would end up being cheaper in the long run in a dental office.

Oopsy!

I really do not understand how anyone would want to do this while on vacation. To me that is the same as going to the doctor or dentist while on vacation. I just don't get it.

For some of us its only on vacation that we are able to get to do these sort of different things as we have NO TIME otherwise.

I run a seven day a week accommodation business and live 1 hour 15 mins from city.

To go into town to get my teeth whitened just wouldn't be a priority as when I do go into town I have a list a mile long.

On holiday I can do and please as I like with my time.

Archived