cozumel to cancun shuttle

kopywrite

we have been to cozumel 3x now and thought we would try to go to cancun this time we're in port. is there a water taxi or some transport service from cozumel to cancun available? we're in port friday from 10am to 7pm.

many thanks!

The normal method is to take the ferry from Coz. to Playa Del Carmen and from there take a taxi or bus to Cancun. The ferrys leave basically every hour and takes approx. 45min($8.), from Playa it will take an hour to get to Cancun. Based on your 10:00am arrival you probably would have to catch the 11:00 ferry, so probably the earliest you would make Cancun is 1:00. Let's say your daring enough to catch the 6pm ferry arriving in Cozumel at 6:45 and then holding your breath to make it to the ship, that would give you 5hrs in Cancun. More reasonable would be making the 5pm ferry giving you 4hrs in Cancun. Is it worth it?

we don't dive and you can drink most anywhere. we done the private beaches there, rented a car and driven the whole thing as well as seen the ruins. after all that, cozumel is just a tourist trap or a drinkers paradise. we'd like to go to cancun to see it since we've never been there. however, going to playa first and then up just doesn't seem right. there are shuttles to isla de muheres (sp) and that is further north than cancun. i've posted elsewhere too so hopefully someone else will provide more info.

thanks!

There are no water shuttles to Cancun from Cozumel, and the water shuttle to Isla Mujeres originates in Cancun, not Cozumel. I have made the trip (which I hate) many times. You take the ferry to Playa del Carmen and a bus to Cancun. The alternative is a plane ride which is costly. The only time I go (by ferry/bus only) is when I have to. If you think Cozumel is a tourist trap/drinker's paradise, you will not enjoy Cancun. It's Miami beach in Mexico.

Good luck...

When you hear Cancun, think Mexican version of Houston (freeways and lots of concrete) or just watch E's Wild On Cancun...way more partying and drinking going on there than in Cozumel. To me, Cancun is just about as yucky as it gets. For as long as I've been here, I can't imagine anyone ever seeing and doing all of Cozumel. Have you: driven the East side north, been to El Cedral, Punta Sur lighthouse and snorkeling on Columbia reef, taken a picnic lunch/dinner to the north marina and watch the sunset, visited the museum or art galleries, collected turtle eggs or been to the hatchery, etc????? Sally is 100% correct...the only way to get to Cancun, other than a costly flight or a strenuous swim, is the ferry/bus or taxi method.

Archived