Anyone in PDC first week in November?

bigwally

My wife and I are going to be staying at the Royal PDC the first week in November and are looking to get a tour share going for Coba.

We've already booked Chichen Itza/Valladolid with Yucatreks for Friday the 7th, but their scheduled Coba tour is the day before (the 6th) and I would much rather have a day of rest between what'll probably be two pretty long days.

So I'm trying to find other people interested in an effort to a) maybe get Yucatreks to change the scheduled day or b) offer us a private tour.

Anyone who happens to be there and would like to share a van and the costs with us, we'd be happy to have you along!

You should love the Royal! Very nice resort, good food, top shelf liquor, great beach. Close to 5th Avenue if you want to experience something besides the resort. If you can not find a tour, do not be afraid to rent a car and make the drive to Coba. It is a 4 lane divided highway to Tulum, then a very good two lane highway from Tulum to Coba. Then you can do the tour whenever you want. You do have to watch for topes, huge speed bumps along the way in the towns but no real problems. If you have not heard of the Mapchick maps, I highly recommend them http://cancunmap.com/. They are fantastic for planning or for driving while down there. They are pricelesss! We drove over 1,000 km in the area in June with no problems. Have now had a car for four trips, never an issue.

I wanted to rent a car for Coba, but my wife won't have any part of it. She's concerned about some of the lawlessness going on in Mexico right now.

I've told her that isn't really happening in QR, but wasn't helped much by an article she read about 12 decapitated bodies being found in Merida. Of course I told her that Merida is in Yucatan, not QR, and that if she was worried about Merida what we really should be cancelling is the tour to Chichen Itza, but the logic of that seemed to fall on deaf ears for some reason. :rolleyes:

Anyway, bottom line, no rental car for us. :(

• 1 month later...
My wife and I are going to be staying at the Royal PDC the first week in November and are looking to get a tour share going for Coba.

We've already booked Chichen Itza/Valladolid with Yucatreks for Friday the 7th, but their scheduled Coba tour is the day before (the 6th) and I would much rather have a day of rest between what'll probably be two pretty long days.

So I'm trying to find other people interested in an effort to a) maybe get Yucatreks to change the scheduled day or b) offer us a private tour.

Anyone who happens to be there and would like to share a van and the costs with us, we'd be happy to have you along!

A friend and I fly out of LA November 4th for Cancun. We were planning to do things on our own (friend has been there a number of times, but not recently), but might consider joining up.

A friend and I fly out of LA November 4th for Cancun. We were planning to do things on our own (friend has been there a number of times, but not recently), but might consider joining up.

Well, we were trying to go on the 5th with Yucatreks. Surely you'd like to wind down into your vacation instead of having to make an early start for touring the first day? I know I would!

Our plan B is to go on the 4th with another tour operator (Johann and Sandra). They will do private transportation with up to 6 hours with the driver for $200, just the two of us and the driver in the vehicle. Extra hours are available for $37 per. I think that's a pretty good deal all-said. I think a taxi would be at least $30-40 each way.

Neither is as cheap as taking the colectivo, of course. But since my wife has gotten to be a big chicken all of a sudden..... :rolleyes: Plus we won't have to make a bunch of stops and be packed in like sardines.

I'm sure we will want to unwind our first day since we don't get in until 4 pm on the 4th.

Do Johann and Sandra have a website?

Initial plan was to just hire a taxi to do the tours we want to do, though with the description of the road, we may go ahead and rent a vehicle.

Do Johann and Sandra have a website?.

As a matter of fact, as I type this their banner ad is at the top of this page. But the site is http://www.playadelcarmentours.com/, in case the same doesn't hold true for you. However, I haven't been as successful with finding recommendations and kudos for them as I have for other tour operators I've seen mentioned on this site. On the plus side, I haven't found anything negative either. So we're going with them purely on speculation and hoping for the best.

However, I have found enthusiastic support for the tour operator we're using for our Chichen Itza/Valladolid visit on the Friday, Yucatreks http://www.playa.info/tours-anna-james-chichen-itza-valladolid.html.

Archived