Shanghai - Princess Cruises- Transportation to City Centre?

YorbaLinda

Princess Cruises docks at the container area Waigoaqiao. Does anyone know if Princess offers complimentary shuttle service into Shangai City Centre? If there is a charge - what is the cost?

How long is the trip into town?

We are thinking of doing Shangai on our own, but of course need the transportation into town.

I've read on earlier posts that Princess does provide shuttle service to town...I'd like to know exactly where they drop off. How were you able to find the exact dock name in Shanghai? Do you happen to know any of the other container port names? I'm especially interested in Hong Kong...both the container port and where the Princess shuttle drops off.

Thanks.

I actually called Princess to get the information - it wasn't easy. I knew from reading that there were 2 container ports in Shanghai and since I was trying to learn more about private tours it was important to learn where the ship was docked. I think Laem Chabang and Xingang are the only other locations with multiple container ports on my trip, 14 days Bangkok to Xingang. These large cruise ships are not able to dock at many of the Passenger Cruise terminals - an example of bigger is not always better.

• 3 weeks later...

Two years ago, we docked at Waigoaqiao port. But, until the day prior to docking, the Captain wasn't certain if we'd actually dock there or use the closer container port. All these decisions were made by the Chinese authorities, without the Captain's input. Princess agents in Santa Clarita won't be able to give you accurate information.

If you decide to arrange a private tour (like we did), your tour guide will know what port the ship will be using (our's did). He/She will meet you at customs. We were there 2 days, so the 1st day, we used a private guide, the 2nd day, we took the Princess shuttle into the city. It took about one hour to get to Shanghai's city center. We were let off not far from the Bund, in front of a large silk store.

I hope so, as well. We have no formal tour set up yet in Hong Kong since I read that it's pretty easy to get around with public transportation. I was there last year but only for a couple of days and we had a guide. Even then, we took a taxi & ferry back to our hotel from Stanley Mkt. by ourselves. I hate wasting all that time transporting from the ship to the cities. There is a definite advantage to smaller ships at times!

Hi Mare

I received the unconfirmed news from the representative of Princess Cruises in Hong Kong. Since Diamond Princess will have one more day in HK (i.e. stay overnight), the busy container-terminals may not be able to offer berths to her. Thus Diamond will probably anchor at sea, and passengers will have to disembark by tender.

Thanks, Pacific Venus...although I do hope the information is incorrect! It will be a real pain to have to tender back and forth...especially since we want to have dinner and a late night in the city on our overnight. Plus, getting everybody on and off the ship by tender will certainly cut down on available tour time.

Archived