Anyone been to Nature Island in Dominica

kenzie

Visiting Dominica in October. I am certified diver as is my 11 year old daughter and wish to dive. Also have parents with us, husband and two other daughters. Husband, one daughter and father will want to snorkle, mother and one daughter are not snorklers, in fact mother does not swim in water over her depth.

Has anyine been to Nature Island, if so are there facilities for sunbathing, maybe a beach mother and daughter can go on when we are scuba diving.

Any shopping closeby which may occupy them.

Many thanks for any replies.

Yes, we went with Nature Island Dive a few years ago, and they were great.

This February, I had booked our dive & snorkel group, and then our port was swapped to Cabrits. Karen then referred us to Cabrits Dive Center as we would be too far away. At the last second, we swapped ports back to Roseau, but it was too late for us to switch back (and we did have a great pair of dives with Cabrits Dive Center).

Two other folks we dove with on the trip booked with Nature Island, and had a great dive day without the l-o-n-g taxi trip we had going north.

Basically, I don't think you can go wrong diving in Dominica!

Dominica called the Nature Island because it is undeveloped. To make a long story short - no beach, no shopping, no nothing. However, that is going to apply everywhere.

IMHO, The mother and daughter that don't do water would be better off to stay in 'town' or take some kind of tour.

Karen does do mixed groups of snorkelers and divers. Links to my website with reviews and pictures are below.

Have a great trip and awesome dives!

Wendy

website

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

I second all that Wendy wrote. We LOVE diving with Nature Island Divers in Dominica -- it's our favorite dive spot in the Caribbean (and we've been to just about all the dive spots you can reach via cruise ship.) Yes, there's a small "beach" in front of the Nature Island Divers shop, but no real sand -- just mostly rocks and dirt. However your mom & daughter would enjoy the trip to the shop -- the island is beautiful. If they'd like they could probably hang out on the boat with you while you dive. The dive sites are only about 5 minutes from their shop and you'll return to the shop between dives for your surface interval.

I'm not sure I agree with Wendy regarding staying in town though. The town is rather dismal IMHO. They might think about another excursion -- perhaps to see the native indian village. Or better yet -- a whale watching expedition!

Archived