POA 10/17-24 review

bankofdad

I have not been "on" much lately but Crusie Critic just emailed me the lastest!!!!!

BankofDad thanks for the info about Pearl HarbourTours. I am SO concerned that WHAT if we get all the way out there and then Can NOT get to see Pearl Harbour!!! I did contact NCL Shore Excursions. They said 'while on board' :-) Hoping for the best! Happy Holidays!

Hi seaislegal,

Here's an idea of what we spent, but I can say that I've seen where others have done better on the price:

- Cabanas - $120 for the two of us (this includes tip)

I hope this helps, and whatever you chose, I hope you have a trip of a lifetime like we did!

Bonkofdad,

I must admit that your review helped me tremendously. My DW and I will be dining at Cabanas on New Year's Day! Thanks for the info.

My cabin (8233) had quite a bit of wall storage in the bathroom. 6 nooks above the sink to put toiletries.

What room number did you have, was it inside or outside. Ours is inside and most reviews tell about the outside. Thanks, Spooky the cat's mom.

• 4 weeks later...

BankofDad - Looks like you're going to be my personal tour guide for my POA trip! .......:) You said that Fair Winds Kona was the highlight of your trip. Given that you did the shark cage thing, (which we already traded posts about) and now I'm considering the dolphin excursion since they aren't in captivity, I can't imagine what's better! Please enlighten me about Fair Winds Kona...

Thanks!

Bankofdad, I just discovered your very detailed review.I haven't read it completely but I feel compelled to thank you for your contribution.

I have done this itinerary with American Hawaiian Cruises in 1990, and am planning a Jan 2006 one on POAmerica. With the two days stops in Maui and Kauai, I would like to incorporate a couple of Golf games those days, plus Kona as well. Does anyone have suggestions , other than the excursions offered by NCL( I'm looking for better value)as to where, and how to get the best prices?

Thanks.

Hi Rvincen,

This was our third year in a row going to Hawaii (once with the kides, twice just DW and I), and we opted fro the most convenient and shortest flight this time (not necessarily the cheapest). For this vacation, we chose Northwest. We had an early morning departure from Milwaukee, which stopped in Minneapolis for a short period of time, and then went non-stop to Honolulu from there. Northwest was great, the seats had plenty of leg-room (unlike most American Airlines flights I"ve been on lately:eek: ), and we got into Honolulu about 20-25 minutes early (about 12:30PM). This gave us plenty of time to liesurlely check in to our hotel, enjoy the mid-afternoon weather, and get cleaned up for a nice dinner that evening. For such a long flight, it was a very relaxing experience. The return trip was great too. We left about 5:30 in the evening (which meant we had almost a full day after debarking the ship), had the same short layover in MN, and had us back in MIlwaukee right at 8:05AM, on-time.

Hi Quincella,

I'm glad my ideas help. I absolutley loved all of the excusions we took (with the exeception of the Molokini snorkel, but others have enjoyed that one very much as well).

The excursions we took we're just different from each other in ther own unique ways. First, the shark cage. The first time I did it was during a land vacation in 2002, and for that trip, I would definitely have to rate it as the highlight of my vacation. Not knowing what to expect and never having done anything like it, it really gets the adrenaline flowing, and creates an undescribable excitement. I thoroughly enjoyed it this past October as well, but having done it before and knowing basically what to expect, it was an experience that I enjoyed for different reasons (I wasn't as nervous this time, so I was able to really study the different shark species and bahaviors more clearly). We're planning a land vacation for 2006 to Hawaii (this time with our kids), and my two oldest children constantly bring that excursion up as something that they want to do with me, and I will gladly accomidate them, as it is a real treat:D !

The dolphin excursion (the early morning tour) gave me a view of them like I've only seen on the likes of National Geographic or the Discovery channel. Seeing them in the wild really gave an appreciation for how beautiful and intellegent these animals are. Like I said in my review, the tour operator was wonderful, the crew fantastic, and the boat a lot of fun. Also, even though I had lived on Oahu for 2 1/2 year and have traveled there several time since, I had never really seen the west shore up close (it's somewhat remote), and it was absolutely stunning. This is another tour that I look forward to doing again with my kids.

The Fair Winds tour on Kona, to be quite honest, was somewhat of a surprise to us. I had read the tour books ("Big Island Revealed") and read reviews, but I had no idea how beautiful Kona really was. Because this is the youngest of the Hawaiian Islands, sandy beaches aren't abound (it mostly lava rock on the shores), which means water clarity is unbelievable. Fair Winds is the only Catamaram operator that goes out to the bay near the Captain Cook monument (though some inflatable boat and kayak tours go there), so it wasn't crowded at all. So, though I know many recommend Body Glove in Kona for the conveneince (and I'm sure they're a fine outfit), I would still do Fair Wind again given the opportunity. From the time we got on the boat until the time we got off, we really were spoiled. THe crew walked around on both decks service trays of danish and breakfast juices and Kona coffee (you didn't have to get in a line anywhere), and then the lunch BBQ was very well presented and very good quality. The draft local Kona brews after snorkeling were a nice touch, too.:D Regarding the snorkeling, the health of the coral formations and the number and variety of fish was incredible. Definitely the best snorkeling I've ever done in Hawai, and for that matter, I would have to say the best I've ever done anywhere (and I compare that to Cozumel, which is outstanding, Caymans, Roaton, Belize, Nassau, Key West, Key Largo, Haunama Bay, Shark Cove North Sore Oahu, Molokini, Kauai, or anywhere else in Hawaii to name a few). My biggest regret is that my 35MM underwater cammera broke on this trip, so I don't have any pictures:( , but I have great memories:D !

I hope you have a great time! Please let me know if I can offer any more opinions!

Hi Tak2,

Thank you for the comliment on the review, I had fun writing it because it brings back such great memories of our trip.

I din't golf, so I can't help with that. You may already know it, but there actually is a golf shop on the ship, and they really pushed golf excursions while we were on board (offering specials, making PA announcements, etc.).

Regarding gathering information on excursions, I would suggest three things; first, pull up all of the POA reviews on this forum, second, frequent and search the Hawaii ports-of-call forum on CC (there are several locals that contibute frequently, ond offer great advise), and third, buy the Wizard Publications guide books (Maui Revealed, Kauai Revealed, and Big Island revealed). IMHO, those guide books were right on target (although MHO of Molokini differs). These publications also have a section regarding golf courses and greens fees on each Island.

I hope you have a great time!

I din't golf, so I can't help with that. You may already know it, but there actually is a golf shop on the ship, and they really pushed golf excursions while we were on board (offering specials, making PA announcements, etc.).

Regarding gathering information on excursions, I would suggest three things; first, pull up all of the POA reviews on this forum, second, frequent and search the Hawaii ports-of-call forum on CC (there are several locals that contibute frequently, ond offer great advise), and third, buy the Wizard Publications guide books (Maui Revealed, Kauai Revealed, and Big Island revealed). IMHO, those guide books were right on target (although MHO of Molokini differs). These publications also have a section regarding golf courses and greens fees on each Island.

I hope you have a great time!

Thanks for reminding me of Maui Revealed. I bought it a year and a half ago, cancelled my trip, lent book to friend. Now it's time to claim it back, as he had long finished using it. Kauai Revealed is in a box in the house somewhere, got to retrieve it.:)

NCL has listed a 5-day package...... I don't want to golf that much. The single day excursions are somewhat pricey, I just wonder if on our own we can get a significantly lower rate if we don't golf prime time.

Tak: I don't golf, but I would suppose going on your own would be much less expensive than the ship offers. Here around Kona, we have some great courses from what I hear. If you are planning to rent a car - you can easily drive to one and maybe do 9 holes I would think since your day here isn't all that long. There is one near my house called Makalapua that you could check in to. The drive is only about 15 or 20 minutes from the pier and probably 10 minutes from the airport where you pick up your car. I've only been there once to drop off my son to put in an application...*smile* but it is really in a nice area and I know a lot of locals golf there.

Emi

The drive is only about 15 or 20 minutes from the pier and probably 10 minutes from the airport where you pick up your car. Emi
Thanks for your advice. You just made a point that I would need to look into: how easy is it to go from where the ship's tender drop-off to the airport to pick up the rental car? From your post, I guess thaere's no rental outlet in Kona itself.

BTW - Emi is one of those wonderful local people that helped us very much in our planning:D , too.

Emi, how was your cruise in Mexico? DW keeps bringing up a Riviera cruise as a must do....SOON! We hope you had a great time!

Tak: There is an Enterprise in the "Old Industrial Area" near the pier and an Affordable just a few blocks up from the pier. I hear that Enterprise will come down and get you and you should be able to easily walk up to the Affordable. I have never rented from either. The other major rental cars are at the airport and they normally have shuttles I think.

BOD: LOVED it!! Had a wonderful time. I keep having dreams about being on another cruise...lol! Thanks for asking!! *smile*

Emi

• 2 months later...

I saw that you recommended the Cabanas Restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel near Wakkiki Beach. Did you make reservations before arriving or did you do it the day you arrived. Did you also have to specify that you wanted to be seated under a cabana or it the entire place set up like that. Please let me know and if you did make reservations let me know if you have the number or how go got it.

THANKS

Hi nygirl07,

Here's a link to their website http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/531000349.asp. It has the phone number on it to call for reservations. We called and made an advance reservation about (30) days prior to our arrival. We did request a beachside cabana when calling, and had a wonderful evening. We decided on this restaurant based upon other CC reviews, and we were very happy we went there.

Hope this helps!

We also just returned from Hawaii, and ate at Cabanas based on Bankofdad's recommendation and other reviews we had read. I had called about a month before to make a reservation also. We thoroughly enjoyed it. All tables are in separate cabanas, but some are further back - not right on the beach. It was a nice quiet setting - a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Many know I've highly recommended Jack Harter Helicopters based upon our experience in Kauai this past October. I've not only recommended them in my review thread, but on countless other threads on the Hawaii ports of call, NCL and Carnival Cruise lines forums.

However, I think anyone considering a helicopter tour in Kauai should take a look at this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=196949 before making a decision. Looks like a very rigid cancellation policy is in place with Jack Harter, and it just doesn't "work" with cruising.

While Jack Harter's is obviously not the only tour operator in Kauai carrying this cancellation policy (and I'm sure they have reasons for it, many of which I would understand being a business person myself), others seem to value business from cruiser's more, IMHO, and are more flexible on their cancellation policies. So why not consider another operator? It's the smart thing to do.

I will be traveliing with DW to Kauai on cruises this October and again with my family in June, and I most certainly will take my business elsewhere based upon the current Jack Harter policy. Just My Humble Opinion, as are all of my comments.

BTW - I hope a similar message doesn't post twice on this thread - I had connection problems with the original CC post.

Archived