Why 3 person limit in Cat. 11?

MRIrene

I called Carnival to see about upgrading from a Cat. 4 with four people in the tiny little cabin to a Cat. 11 mini suite. I was told that you can't book four people into a mini suite. That is crazy! That room is much larger than the Cat. 4. Does anyone know the reason for this? :confused:

You would think the bigger cabins had more beds but no. I think they have either the standard twin/queen or a king configuration and a sofa bed.....the carnival brochure shows what beds are in each room. Some of the older ships have roll away beds but not the newer ones. We cruised twice in an oceanview cabin for 4.....the only time we felt real crowded was getting ready for formal night and once trying to get 4 showers in before dinner after getting back from a shore excursion a little later than expected.

Our Cat. 4 room (that they let us book four people in) is 186 sq. ft. and the Cat. 11 mini suite is 220 sq.ft. I still don't understand why we can fit 4 people in the small room, but not the larger room. :confused:

Because they dont put four beds in the suite. The cabin for four have a berth that comes down out of the ceiling. (the new ships) And the couch makes in to a bed. Either the fourth bed is there, or it isnt. In the brochure, a star means third sofa sleeper and a square means also a fourth drop down bed. Some cat 11's only sleep 2. ! Thats alot of room for two, but very nice. ;)

I Understand your frustration...makes no sense to me either.

We had a cat 11 (upgraded) on the Fantasy once- just 2 of us. It had a queen size bed and a sofa- now I'm not sure if the sofa pulled out in to a bed or not- maybe yu hvae to sleep on it as is- now that would make kind of sense, maybe the sofa sleeps just one.

A rollaway would have been tight in there,

We've booked a cruise on the Imagination for a Cat 12 for 4 people with no problems. I hope this isn't something new Carnival has started. I would hate to get to the pier only to find out that our booking with 4 is a no-no. That would not make my day

Our Cat. 4 room (that they let us book four people in) is 186 sq. ft. and the Cat. 11 mini suite is 220 sq.ft. I still don't understand why we can fit 4 people in the small room, but not the larger room. :confused:

The cat 4 is 186 sq ft and the cat 11 is 220 including the 30 sq ft balcony which makes the cabin 190 sq ft. The bed configuration is different and there is no room for a rollaway now. Also, in most of the quad cat 4a cabins there are two uppers (bunks) and in the cat 11 there are none. Hope this clears it up for you! :D

Because they dont put four beds in the suite. The cabin for four have a berth that comes down out of the ceiling. (the new ships) And the couch makes in to a bed. Either the fourth bed is there, or it isnt. In the brochure, a star means third sofa sleeper and a square means also a fourth drop down bed. Some cat 11's only sleep 2. ! Thats alot of room for two, but very nice. ;)

now, they do put 4 into a cat 12 cabin because of the double sofa bed..... and they can even fit 5 into the cat 12 because there is the room to bring in a roll-away too.

I called Carnival to see about upgrading from a Cat. 4 with four people in the tiny little cabin to a Cat. 11 mini suite. I was told that you can't book four people into a mini suite. That is crazy! That room is much larger than the Cat. 4. Does anyone know the reason for this? :confused:

Not true! Maybe it depends on the ship, but I currently have a Cat. 11 booked on the Triumph where DH and I will have 2 granddaughters in the same cabin. We were told by Carnival that there will be a king bed, a single sofabed and the cabin steward will bring in a roll-away each night at turndown.

Beth

Not true! Maybe it depends on the ship, but I currently have a Cat. 11 booked on the Triumph where DH and I will have 2 granddaughters in the same cabin. We were told by Carnival that there will be a king bed, a single sofabed and the cabin steward will bring in a roll-away each night at turndown.

Beth

As indicated in the OP's signature, they are booked on the Ecstasy in December. On the Ecstasy and all Fantasy class ships, the limit in a cat 11 is 3 people and no extra room for a roll-away.

I was told one time by a Carnival Rep that the reason they do this is to discourage two couples from sharing a less expensive suite. If you want to put four people, you have to spring for the more expensive suite.

BTW, the Cat. 11 on the fantasy class ships is not actually that much larger than the standard cabin. I would book the Cat. 12 if there isn't too much of a price difference (your third and fourth passenger may even be the same price, or just slightly more). Those cabins are much bigger and will hold 4 comfortably.

I have one thing to say about the cat. 11 suites on the Spirit class ships. Even though the square footage is more than standard cabins, much of that footage is taken up by the larger bathroom. The cabin itself wasn't a lot larger than the standard cabins. On the spirit class ships, you can sleep 4 in some cabins but only the ones with the bunk in the ceiling. We had 4 in one of these. They don't have rollaways.

@ 186 square feet......a standard room is far from "A Tiny Little Room" IMHO

I've been on cruise ships where the standard cabin is 120 square feet.

The Cat. 11 is 220 square feet + a 30 square foot balcony.

It does seem strange about the 3 passenger thing.

x

Archived