lunches on shore

deewalt99

me, 52 my husband, 54 and my son 17 (this is his graduation gift, even though he will graducate in 5-2009) are doing our first cruise, mariner of the sea, 11-2,9-2008 western carribean. i have paid for trip, pre paid tips, and booked and paid for my shore excursions, none in haiti, snorking wreck in grand cayman and whitewater tubing in ocho rios, and very little shopping in cozumel, we are not drinkers, maybe one or two during entire trip, not into gambling even though i want to try one time, are just happy to be on ocean and lay in sun, (originally raised in wpb, fl) just want to see other parts of the world, i am allowing about 1,000 for the week to spend, what does lunches run on shore? not into lobster, steak and alot of drinking. also what about small souviners to take home to girls i work with?

thanks, any reply will help.

For Jamaica:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=817454

For souvenirs, you may stick to the somewhat sterile Island Village/Margaritaville compound and its offerings, or you can take a taxi ride a mile or so to the craft market in the center of town, which, I believe is near the Jerk Center mentioned in the thread above. Lots of flea market things and, if you are patient and can weather the, um, enthusiastic entreaties of the merchants:rolleyes: you can find some interesting items and people there. And right across the street from the craft market is a small supermarket which sells, among other interesting things, Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee at a reasonable price (we got it for $10 USD/lb when the street corner vendors were hawking it for up to $30 USD to the tourists.)

for Cozumel:

http://bluextseadiving.com/restaurants.php

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/FoodOnTheGo.htm

Check out some of the "back streets" further away from the waterfront-- you'll see many small shops and get to see more of the local culture, not just the tourist-oriented areas. And don't go only to the shops designated on your ship's merchant guide--we found nice items at other undesignated stores for better prices and better wares.

for the Caymans....well, we were just too busy getting back from our Stingray City excursion to do much souvenir shopping. You might want to check out the Cayman Islands Port of Call thread for a better source of souvenirs and info on beaches. Although I WOULD recommend a trip to the sandbar to meet ths 'rays if you're in the Caymans.:D

Archived