AMA's European Heartland Cruise Question

stired

I am just about ready to book this cruise, which includes 2 days in Prague, a 7-day riverboat trip on the Moselle, Rhine and Main rivers, and 3 days in Paris.

For anyone who has done this cruise, I have 2 questions.

1. I have read some CC posts which talk about a particular trip direction being better than the other. The date that works the best for us is a trip which starts in Prague and ends in Paris, instead of the other way around. Does anyone have experience with one way being more advantageous?

2. I have read some CC posts which criticize AMA for short docking times, with little free time available for any independent walking, etc. Both Viking and Avalon have similar itineraries, but since none of them seem to post detailed schedules, it is impossible to tell if there is any difference. Does anyone have any insight into this question?

Thanks in advance for any info you can impart.

I cannot speak to the length of port stops on this cruise since I've not taken it, but I can tell you that you'll be going in the right direction. The advantage of going from east (Prague) to west (Paris) is that you'll pass through any rainstorms, instead of following them all throughout the trip. In other words, storms travel from west to east, so you want to travel in the opposite direction.

Charlotte

We are back from our QM2 TA from NY to England, Amadagio cruisetour from Prague to Paris, and QM2 TA back from England to NY

We got to Prague two days before the actual tour began, and we were lucky because the weather was great that first full day. We were able to do a lot of sightseeing as a result. The next two days, after the tour got there, were rainy. Prague is a beautiful city and we were glad we finally had a chance to see it. Our visit to the Jewish Quarter and, during the last afternoon, our trip to the concentration camp at Terezin (outside the city) brought back some of the horrors of World War II. The folkloric dinner the last evening in Prague, was enjoyable - just light fun.

We had been on cruises on the Main-Danube Canal, the Main River, and the Rhine River before but they were still enjoyable. The length of the port stops there was about the same as the two previous cruises we had made there.

I had not been near the Mosel River since I was assigned there in the mid-sixties. There have been many changes there since then, but it is still beautiful with vineyards rising seemingly almost vertical from near the river bank up the steep hillsides.

We drove through Luxembourg City, stopping there for sightseeing. That place has changed even more than the Mosel River area.

We stayed in Paris for three nights and I think our individual highlight was eating lunch in the Altitude 95 restaurant in the Eiffel Tower. I had made reservations on the Internet about six or seven weeks before, and we had a window table for two facing the Seine River. We got there about 30 minutes early (noon vs. 12:30pm) so maybe that helped with our being seated at a prime table. I don't think so though because others who came later were seated both farther back and along the window in a seeming random fashion. I think it must have been dependent on when we made the reservation.

The Queen Mary 2 is really a lovely ship. Dress is pretty formal, but I am able to adapt to that. In contrast the Amadagio, for the river cruise portion of our travels, was very casual. I only needed my sport coat for the Captain's Party. If I had it to do over, I would have taken my tuxedo instead of a dark business suit for the QM2. I would have fit in more readily with the majority and it wouldn't have taken up any more room in the one suitcase.

It was very nice to arrive in Europe well rested for a change. Flying involves too many time zone changes in a hurry (jet lag) and a few days period of time to adapt. We were ready to go the first day we arrived.

Bill

Stired,

I forgot to mention that the two previous cruises we had taken along the Nuremberg to Koblenz portion of the Main-Danube Canal, Main River and Rhine River were with Avalon and Vantage. We enjoyed both of them.

Bill

My mom and I are leaving on the Heartland cruise from Prague to Paris on the 25th. We have received our documents. Here is the ship portion of the itinerary:

Sun Nuremberg Dep 10:00 pm

Mon Bamberg Arr: 8:00 am, Dep: 12:30 pm

Tue Wurzburg Arr 8:30 am, Dep 10:30 pm

Wed Wertheim, Arr 8:30 am, Dep 10:30 am

Miltenberg, Arr 2:00 pm, Dep 5:00 pm

Thurs Mainz, Arr 8:00 am, Dep 12:30 pm

Rudesheim Arr 2:30 pm, Dep 5:00 pm

Koblenz, Arr 9:00 pm, Dep Friday 1:00 am

Fri Cochem, Arr 8:00 am, Dep 12:00 pm

Zell, Arr 6:00 pm, Dep Sat 2:00 am

Sat Bernkastel, Arr 8:00 am, Dep 10:30 am

Trier, Arr 4:00 pm, disembark 10:00 am Sunday

I am disappointed, 2.5 hours in a port doesn't seem like its worth stopping for. But, since my mother is in her late 70's, its probably easier for her to do short stops. Koblenz you don't even arrive until 9:00 pm, can't see much going on, but maybe I'm wrong

My mom and I are leaving on the Heartland cruise from Prague to Paris on the 25th. We have received our documents. Here is the ship portion of the itinerary:

I am disappointed, 2.5 hours in a port doesn't seem like its worth stopping for. But, since my mother is in her late 70's, its probably easier for her to do short stops. Koblenz you don't even arrive until 9:00 pm, can't see much going on, but maybe I'm wrong

Thank you so much for this info - this is exactly what I was looking for - and your right, these stops are very short. I don't know what you can possible see in 2-1/2 hours. :mad:

eadien7 - I hope you'll post a review of your trip when you get back. Would love to hear your impressions!

Archived