Snorkeling on my own -- where to put my stuff?

mikeerdas

The last time I went snorkeling, also the first time, my wife and I traded off snorkeling because we rented gear on a beach and didn't see any lockers. So one of us always stayed on the beach with our stuff.

If anyone here has been to St. Thomas, St. John's, or St. Marteen's, are there beaches where I can rent a locker?

It seems silly to me to spend big bucks for a snorkel excursion when all they're typically providing is transport, rental, and maybe some overpriced lunch figured in.

Trunk Bay on St. John has lockers: http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trunk%20Bay.htm#facilities

Usually we just bring towels, water bottles and maybe snacks for lunch so there isn't much to rip off. If you have a disposable waterproof camera you can bring that with you snorkeling, and keep your credit cards, money, ship card in a little waterproof case that hangs around your neck:

http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/otterbox-1000/

That way wherever you snorkel there isn't really anything a thief would be interested in. Some of our very favorite snorkel spots would be:

1. Leinster Bay on St. John (we usually rent a jeep for the day right there in Cruz Bay.)

http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Beaches/leinster.html

2. Sapphire Bay on St. Thomas (many people also like Coki Beach). Easily accessible via taxi.

We haven't snorkeled in St. Marteen for many years so I can't recommend any place there.

My hubby and I just got back from a southern caribbean cruise, and we used a PacSafe anti-theft bag. You put your stuff inside, and you can lock the bag (it's made of metal mesh so would-be thieves can't cut through the bag) and you can secure it to something (a beach chair or small tree work great).

The link is here--we picked ours up at the local mall. http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=18

Honestly, though, in St. John, we didn't really feel like we needed the bag--seemed pretty safe. However, better safe than sorry I suppose.

Have fun!

Contact the local dive shops on your own before you go. Do a Google search and find a shop in the port you are visiting. Many times some of the smaller dive boat operators have better prices than booking an excursion through the ship and being locals they know the best spots. They are trying to build their businesses and a lot of that is word of mouth from satisfied customers.

Diving or snorkeling from a small boat offers a chance to see the best sites, and avoid the crowds. Plus you don't have to worry about where to secure you things when you are in the water.

Another option is to contact some of the local hotels, many of them will have a day room deal when ships are in port. This is especially true in the Caymans, as there are a bunch of hotels on 7 mile beach that have excellent snorkeling right off the beach.

My hubby and I just got back from a southern caribbean cruise, and we used a PacSafe anti-theft bag. You put your stuff inside, and you can lock the bag (it's made of metal mesh so would-be thieves can't cut through the bag) and you can secure it to something (a beach chair or small tree work great).

Wow, thanks for the idea. The PacSafe bag looks like a great idea -- especially in hotels. I always bring my laptop and am paranoid that it will disappear so I usually have to find some place to hide it. I'm going to get one of these so I can lock it to the bed frame! :)

Will have to check out Magellan's and the PacSafe, but thanks to ScubaMargie I picked up an Otterbox 1000--found one for $11 at my local REI. Not big enough to hold a passport unfortunately.

Do I need to bring a passport with me to St. Marteen or can I bring a photocopy of it and a driver's license?

We never bring our passport on shore -- mainly because I don't want to misplace it and then have all the hassle when we disembark. Just bring a copy of your driver's license. I bet you won't even be asked for ID -- just the Princess card. You'll like the Otter box -- and remember it has a lifetime warranty. We actually have sent one back that was finally wearing out (still didn't leak but the hinges broke) and they sent us a new one!

Archived