The SUSPENSE is killing me! Miracle...

disfan13

My favourite cities to visit again and again are New York' date=' Boston, London and Paris. I could easily spend a week in each one every year if work and my budget would allow!!! The people are fab, the food and shopping are great and there is so much to see and do and it can all be done with public transit.[/quote']

Thats very nice!

I happen to love Toronto.. Very trendy, cosmopolitan.. CLEAN.. Nice subway system! People great!!!!!!!!!

Paris is on my bucket list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandgnat-

LOL@

Well you have to watch for pickpockets no matter where you go.. I think that is a worldwide sporting event.. But the city is much better than it was in the 70s/80s..

There is just so much to see and do! I think a lot of people outside the city confuse the 'pace' with attitude.. albeit there are rude people.. it's not utopia!:p but most people just want to get where they are going and sometimes are oblivious to those around them.. They walk and talk fast.. but if someone needs help, and i have seen this, expect a crowd of wannabe heroes! (and i mean this in a good way!)

I will give you a laugh... I am a klutz!.. I was in Chinatown on a sales call.. Crossing the street, my heel wedged into a cobblestone or a crack.... but my foot was not having it.. I dont know what happened but I went head over feet and landed on my back.. my sales bag was sprawled out on

Canal street... I look up and there are about 10 Chinese people speaking in Chinese and fanning me and trying to pick me up.. One of them stopped traffic and another collected the contents of my bag.

An older woman brought me water...

I sat with them for a few minutes not understanding a word they said, but understood everything in their soul and gut;)

It was a nice day!

Boy, after being without power, cable, phone and internet for over a week, but with a roof over my head, unlike many of my neighbors, compliments of hurricane Gustov, I can see I have missed a lot being off Cruise Critic for over a week. I don't have time to sort through the postings tonight, but sure will tomorrow, if power stays on, so I hope this is not completely redundant. But come on people, you were on a cruise ship in relative comfort for 8 days. There are over 800,000 people starving and homeless in Haiti from all these storms. Almost 50% of the people in my city, Baton Rouge, LA, still have no power, some expected to be out for 4 week, can't get ice, food, gas for generators easily. 2 people died just up the street from me when a tree fell on there house. And you are going to revolt over a change in your CRUISE itenerary. What did you want to do, go to the ports with the hurricane? Haveing cruised in hurricane season and had ports change, that was the chance you took. Sorry for repeating things others may have said, but I am little tired and stressed and really hope IKE just goes away. If not, can anyone come install a whole house generator by the weekend?

LOL@

Well you have to watch for pickpockets no matter where you go.. I think that is a worldwide sporting event.. But the city is much better than it was in the 70s/80s..

There is just so much to see and do! I think a lot of people outside the city confuse the 'pace' with attitude.. albeit there are rude people.. it's not utopia!:p but most people just want to get where they are going and sometimes are oblivious to those around them.. They walk and talk fast.. but if someone needs help, and i have seen this, expect a crowd of wannabe heroes! (and i mean this in a good way!)

I will give you a laugh... I am a klutz!.. I was in Chinatown on a sales call.. Crossing the street, my heel wedged into a cobblestone or a crack.... but my foot was not having it.. I dont know what happened but I went head over feet and landed on my back.. my sales bag was sprawled out on

Canal street... I look up and there are about 10 Chinese people speaking in Chinese and fanning me and trying to pick me up.. One of them stopped traffic and another collected the contents of my bag.

I sat with them for a few minutes not understanding a word they said, but understood everything in their soul and gut;)

It was a nice day!

Hey clean up your quotes girlfriend! Looks like you are quoting yourself:D

Oh my God, would you people please stop with the "you can't fix stupid" comments and about sailing in hurricane season, as if this has anything to do with the complaints. Did you understand what the posters were saying? IT'S NOT ABOUT DIVERTING THE SHIP, IT'S ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! The posters are saying they were ok with this, but they were NOT ok with the snide, snarky remarks from the captain. Please stop with calling the posters liars when they come here and share their story. Just because they are posting for the first time does not make them liars and cheats, we were all first time posters at one point.

Several posters have said that the comments from the captain were inappropriate and then somebody else tried to justify it by saying perhaps his goal was to provide some levity. When folks are angry and stressed, jokes about their situation are not going to make them laugh or lighten the situation and the captain should know this. They should have communicated frequently, commiserated with the passengers, but not make rude comments as indicated by passengers who were ON the ship. What right do you people have who are sitting at your computers to call people liars who were actually on the ship? My God, this cheerleading business is getting out of hand when you can't even believe first hand reports.

Excuse me, but last time I checked, this is a free country and these are free threads. Anyone can say whatever they want, within reason. YOU have no right to tell people what to post or not post. If people can't take the heat, then they shouldn't post in here. Maybe I should recommend that Cruise Critic set up a special section of threads for whiners....the whiners can say whatever they want in there and we won't bother them because we're sick of hearing about it. Sound like a plan?

Boy, after being without power, cable, phone and internet for over a week, but with a roof over my head, unlike many of my neighbors, compliments of hurricane Gustov, I can see I have missed a lot being off Cruise Critic for over a week. I don't have time to sort through the postings tonight, but sure will tomorrow, if power stays on, so I hope this is not completely redundant. But come on people, you were on a cruise ship in relative comfort for 8 days. There are over 800,000 people starving and homeless in Haiti from all these storms. Almost 50% of the people in my city, Baton Rouge, LA, still have no power, some expected to be out for 4 week, can't get ice, food, gas for generators easily. 2 people died just up the street from me when a tree fell on there house. And you are going to revolt over a change in your CRUISE itenerary. What did you want to do, go to the ports with the hurricane? Haveing cruised in hurricane season and had ports change, that was the chance you took. Sorry for repeating things others may have said, but I am little tired and stressed and really hope IKE just goes away. If not, can anyone come install a whole house generator by the weekend?

While things like this have been said, it cannot be said enough....so thank you! There are so many people who really need to get a grip on what a "bad situation" really is! Thoughts and prayers go out to all of you who are suffering with the real issues from these storms....and to those who can't even afford to have a computer or go on a cruise! :rolleyes:

Hope things get much better for you very soon!:)

Sandgnat-

LOL@

It was a nice day!

Great story, "Tish"!! All of humankind is not lost;)

Oh and scuse me, but what's the matter with New England...hhhmmmmmmm?!?!:p

What part of the island are you from anyway? Just a hop, skip and jump across the pond from me!:D

HI

Actually it only took two years for NYC Tourism to rebound back to pre-attack levels.. NYC is fine.. We may have a bit less international tourists but more Americans are visiting the city than ever before.

:)

I have never seen anything stated to treat tourists better-& I am in the hospitality industry- NYC folks are pretty darn cool and I have seen many very friendly incidents with tourists...

Its unfortunate that NYC has the reputation it does.. I am well aware of it.. but its really not accurate... :)

I love New York City, spent my 19th birthday there and took my son for his graduation present. Loved Spamalot!!!

The nicest big city I have ever been in is Washington DC. My son and nephew were Boy Scouts and were doing the Lincoln Trail. Many, many people stopped to ask if we needed assistance finding something. They were on their way to work. Great city. I could not believe how many stopped to help.

Great story, "Tish"!! All of humankind is not lost;)

Oh and scuse me, but what's the matter with New England...hhhmmmmmmm?!?!:p

What part of the island are you from anyway? Just a hop, skip and jump across the pond from me!:D

huh! What did I say about New England?? :confused: Did I get myself in trouble again!... :)

Isnt New York part of NE? lol

Suffolk County! a mere ferry ride from Port Jeff!.. Port Jeff is about 20 minutes east of me...

huh! What did I say about New England?? :confused: Did I get myself in trouble again!... :)

Suffolk County! a mere ferry ride from Port Jeff!.. Port Jeff is about 20 minutes east of me...

Most of New York City don't consider themselves New Englanders but upstate has no problems. I lived in Windsor Ct. for 14 months. Loved the falls there.

Again I love New York City, never said any thing bad about it. I just know they hurt for a long time without tourist. Just like the Islands and towns our cruise ships visit that have been hurt by hurricanes. How long has Costa Maya been out now? Hopefully Grand Turk recovers fast. Those are the ones we should be thinking about and concerned about. Not some that feel their vacation was ruined because they did not go into a hurricane.

Most of New York City don't consider themselves New Englanders but upstate has no problems. I lived in Windsor Ct. for 14 months. Loved the falls there.

Again I love New York City, never said any thing bad about it. I just know they hurt for a long time without tourist. Just like the Islands and towns our cruise ships visit that have been hurt by hurricanes. How long has Costa Maya been out now? Hopefully Grand Turk recovers fast. Those are the ones we should be thinking about and concerned about. Not some that feel their vacation was ruined because they did not go into a hurricane.

I read or heard that 80% of the homes are either damaged or gone.. 80%!! I can not even imagine.. I mean 24 yrs ago Long Island had Gloria.. It was a "2'?? Maybe not even.. maybe it was a one and the damage was disturbing...

Over 500 dead in Haiti..

Katrina! That was a disaster!

Its very sad..

Those of us not affected by these tragedys have to take a deep breathe and realize how lucky we are...

Sandgnat-

It was a nice day!

Are you sure they weren't just waiting for you to come 'round so they could lure you into a store for a knock-off Coach, Louis Vuitton or Chanel handbag??? lol :p

Are you sure they weren't just waiting for you to come 'round so they could lure you into a store for a knock-off Coach' date=' Louis Vuitton or Chanel handbag??? lol :p[/quote']

LOL.. I dont think so... But I bet they were laughing !

Nah, it's prolly my own confusion...LOL! Someone said don't lump NY in with New England...thought it was you. Wow, I'll be in Port Jeff on Fri for a meeting at Danford's! Wish we could get together for a drink! LOL!

Very convenient...we're not far from Bridgeport and we just hop the ferry, walk over to Danfords and hop back on the ferry after. I'll wave as we near the port:p

Nah, it's prolly my own confusion...LOL! Someone said don't lump NY in with New England...thought it was you. Wow, I'll be in Port Jeff on Fri for a meeting at Danford's! Wish we could get together for a drink! LOL!

Very convenient...we're not far from Bridgeport and we just hop the ferry, walk over to Danfords and hop back on the ferry after. I'll wave as we near the port:p

I havent been to Danfords in a few years..the food was very good..Hopefully still is!.. PJ is a great little town!!

With all due respect, I was a passenger on the ship and my experience was different than what I have heard described. I found communication to be appropriate and I did not feel that the Captain was disrespectful nor did he make light of the situation - he did try to add humour at times which I am guessing was misinterpreted by some. I would gladly cruise with this Captain again -- I am home safe and sound and that was his job.

Was it Capt. Volpi? We have sailed with him on 3 cruises. He is a very nice man.

Ask New York City about this. After 9/11 they lost a lot of tourist. It is still not back up to pre 9/11 years. They had to come out and request that tourists be treated better. Many cities spend a lot of money to bring tourism because it makes money.

I used to live in the Napa Valley, second largest tourist area in California (at least back when I lived there). It was crazy sometimes going up the valley because highway 29 is only one lane traffic from Yountville to Calistoga. I lived in Yountville and worked in Calistoga. Could take me an extra hour on weekends. So yes tourist would drive me crazy but I also new the county needed the money.

Please I was joking! Quite frankly, I think the illustrious Govenator was an idiot for not raising the sales tax by one quarter of a percent in May or June to help raise revenue. B

By the way, DH and I made a trip to NYC in January of 2002 in an effort to help improve the situation. So you are preaching to the choir.

HI

Actually it only took two years for NYC Tourism to rebound back to pre-attack levels.. NYC is fine.. We may have a bit less international tourists but more Americans are visiting the city than ever before.

:)

I have never seen anything stated to treat tourists better-& I am in the hospitality industry- NYC folks are pretty darn cool and I have seen many very friendly incidents with tourists...

Its unfortunate that NYC has the reputation it does.. I am well aware of it.. but its really not accurate... :)

You are absolutely correct!!! We love NYC!!! One of the truly magical cities on earth!!!

Archived