Bonamine on the Royal Princess

neepawa

We are sailing on the Royal Princess from Montreal to NYC in mid September. With the possibility of rough seas, we like to be prepared.

I have searched every drugstore, supermarket and big-box store trying to buy "Bonamine". Everyone says it is on back-order and may be in stock in November.

Does anyone know if Bonamine or equivalent is available for sale in the shop on the Royal Princess? If not, I will buy some Gravel before leaving home.

Thanks,

Don

I don't know if they sell it on the ship but perhaps your problem is you are looking for the wrong product.

"Bonine" is the general name and "meclizine hydrochloride" in the medical name. Most drug stores carry it under various names.

Thanks for your replies.

I have the Pfzer Bonamine box with one tablet in it on my desk as I type this message. It is meclizine hydrochloride.

I may have to hope for calm seas and to wait until we get to Bar Harbor.

Don

HI,

They sold Bonine on the Emerald when we were on it in May. But I always take my own Gravol and the Transderm IV patch which goes behind your ear. I don't want to chance not having anything if I need it!!!. They do not have Gravol in the US and the Transderm IV is only available on prescription I believe. In Canada you can get it from the pharmacy by asking. I have heard that the ginger Gravol is good as it doesn't make you drowsy but I haven't tried it.

Enjoy the cruise and may you have smooth sailing and not need anything!!

From drugstore.com you can get bonamine / bonine / meclizine HCL - all the same drug - as folllows.

$7.79 will get you either:

100 12.5 mg generic tablets

16 25 mg bonine chewable tablets

So the name brand chewable is about triple the price. Either way, both are in stock and they offer free shipping on orders of $25+ for first time customers or $50+ for returning customers.

Thanks EviesCruisin for your link to drugstore.com. Unfortunately, they do not ship to Canada.

Don

The one thing about purchasing something like this onboard in the ships shops is that they are usually in very small quantities no matter which brand they carry, and are very high in price. Many times in only one dose or two dose packages (for the price you could buy an entire cruise supply for on land).

IDEA! Have you asked anyone on your roll call that resides in the U.S. if they might purchase some for you and you could get them from them when you board? We have done this before for others on our roll call when it is something they are not able to purchase. Just an idea, but worth a try.

Don't they have it at the Purser's desk? I don't get motion sickness but my wife occasionally gets a bit nauseous when it's rough. On HAL and NCL we've just gone to the Purser's desk and they gave us a couple of tablets.

Don't they have it at the Purser's desk? I don't get motion sickness but my wife occasionally gets a bit nauseous when it's rough. On HAL and NCL we've just gone to the Purser's desk and they gave us a couple of tablets.

No, Princess does not dispense seasick meds like some of the others cruise lines do. You have two choices, buy it in the ships shop or go to the med center and really pay for it with an appt charge and a medication charge.

Bonamine = Bonine = Antivert = Meclizine.

I don't live in Canada, so I don't know which you might be able to buy and which you might need to have prescribed, but you should be able to get an equivalent drug, either over-the-counter or by prescription.

Just visit my pharmacist who confirmed that there are no over-the counter or prescription drugs with meclizine hydrochlorine available at this time. She recommended Cocculine, a homeophathic medicine which we will try.

Thanks everyone for your help

Don

Archived