Vaccinations for Margarita Island, Venezuela?

Zosia

It says two important things. One is that it may be required, not that it IS required. And it says that areas away from urban areas are the ones they're concerned about. Margarita is Urban.

I aksed my doctor and he said it is difficult to even find a place that keeps the serum here in the states. That website for the CDC gives the locations.

My travel agent said that just like some countries require a visa at some destinations, they waive that for cruise ship passengers since their departures will be the same day usually. I feel that it would be the same for the immunization unless the port of call was right in a jungle, or if there had been outbreaks in recent history that they had to guard against.

The important thing is to protect yourself with insect repellant. If an area were plagued with yellow fever the ship would not stop. If there had been cases of yellow fever far inland where you are not going to go, the cruise line, again, would probably make sure you understood this before you disembarked there, and there would be a chance that no passenger without the specific yellow fever shot would be allowed on land.

But you can protect yourself from malaria, also mosquito bourne, by taking preventive medications you can get from your doctor. Take a pill a week before you leave, and once a week until the pills are used. But still wear the insect repellant!

Archived