Regular or French Manicure?

JudeeJim

Hi I just wanted to say I use this product I got from Sally's. It's called Yellow out. I can't have long nails or tips (the JOb), But when I use this yellow out, my nails look great. They look white and healthy. Looks like I paid for an "American manicure". You just need 2-3 coats and you'll see the difference. When on my cruise I put a coat on every night.. give it a try you'll be suprised.

Thank goodness .. I was about to think I should question my taste .. I have never liked them either. I got talked into one once .. and I felt horrible for two weeks .. It just isn't a style I am comfortable with .. but you sure see it a lot.. so it must be very popular.

.....yeah, and so are mullets! :D

You have great taste. No need to question it! ;)

My nail tech does a Forever French with acrylic. No worry about chipping the polish. She has many different colors of acrylic to chose from. Some are very natural looking and others are strickly for fun. I have always stuck with solid polish. And if I am traveling I have her use one I have so I can always repair if need be.

Thank goodness .. I was about to think I should question my taste .. I have never liked them either. I got talked into one once .. and I felt horrible for two weeks .. It just isn't a style I am comfortable with .. but you sure see it a lot.. so it must be very popular.

Adding my vote to yours! I've always thought the French manicures looked strange...never ever understood their popularity. When I am lucky enough to have my nails grow a bit, I just use clear polish, or maybe a very pale pink. My tips are very light naturally; painting them a different color just looks plain silly. But, my sis loves the French mani, so I'll just keep my mouth shut around her! :p

I agree with you on your distaste for french tips, which is why i said i like the american manicure better. But perhaps our tastes differ from the trends of society. Here's a snippit from an article in Beauty Magazine;

What is the difference between an American and a French manicure? A French manicure has more of a flesh toned base or a nude look to it. It goes with most fashion choices and with at a look of simplicity that will make your outfit shine. The look is very sophisticated and can give the ugliest hands a chance to look classy. The French manicure looks great and goes good with a dark cocktail dress or a red formal gown. They can be seen at formals and black tie events. The French manicure is very bold in nature and can be recognized by the white tips.

The writer says" The French manicure looks great and goes good with a dark cocktail dress.....

"goes good"??? I'd hardly take advice from a "writer" who can't even write in proper english! :eek:

Here are a couple more images of French VS American manicures, hope you find the one you like!

worldofwatiblogspotcomxs9.jpg French Tips

frenchmanicurebeautynewrg5.jpg American Manicure

The french on you show is beyond ugly. Pink iridescent nailbed with a thick white paint-like tip. UGH! My mani looks exactly like the bottom one, however, I can't help it, my manicurist puts two coats of "like linen" or "waltz" on me and this is what it looks like. The only way for me to avoid a contrast tip like that is to do a dark color, like red. So I find it kind of funny that people actually request the look of the American manicure you show, while I keep trying colors that will make my nails one color!

[/i]

The french on you show is beyond ugly. Pink iridescent nailbed with a thick white paint-like tip. UGH! My mani looks exactly like the bottom one, however, I can't help it, my manicurist puts two coats of "like linen" or "waltz" on me and this is what it looks like. The only way for me to avoid a contrast tip like that is to do a dark color, like red. So I find it kind of funny that people actually request the look of the American manicure you show, while I keep trying colors that will make my nails one color!

Everyone has their own tastes. French tips and American manicures are still the most popular nail finishes requested. Even on toes its the most requested. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, and yes I know just because something is popular doesnt mean it's good (just ask the 10 million former AOL users :p).

Im unsure that if someone's grammar isnt up to the highest standard that it makes their opinion less valid. *shrug*

In the end, it's to each their own. Neither the french nor american manicure are my favorite finish to see, i find them both rather plain. I personally like to see a classy unique design. I was simply conveying some options to the OP. But back to that original question from her... Yes, I do find either one classy enough for a formal dinner.

.....yeah, and so are mullets! :D

You have great taste. No need to question it! ;)

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't do white toenail polish. I saw at least 3 women with it today and it makes all the attention go to your feet! It looks like you have a band-aid on all of your toenails. Ughh!

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't do white toenail polish. I saw at least 3 women with it today and it makes all the attention go to your feet! It looks like you have a band-aid on all of your toenails. Ughh!

The thought never even crossed my mind. My toenail polish is always red.

Im unsure that if someone's grammar isnt up to the highest standard that it makes their opinion less valid. *shrug*

This was in reference to a professional writing articles in published magazines. So when someone who's a professional writer doesn't have a grasp of basic grammar, nor the sense to have someone proof their work, it does make their opinion less valid because they're uneducated and don't care enough to make sure it's right. For me, that invalidates their opinion because I no longer trust that they've done real research and instead are just writing what they think and presenting it as fact.

It's not the same as a reply on a forum or chat board. It's held to a higher standard.

Which type of manicure is appropriate for formal night? I am considering a French Minicure with a light pink base. Or should I go with a regular manicure?

Judee

I thought what the poster is asking is whether she should get a

french manicure or a "regular" manicure. Which to me, a regular

manicure is having your nails polished with just one color, whether

it be bright red or light pink.:)

My husband, who really gives two hoots about nail polish, ALWAYS notices a French Manicure....BUT not in a good way! He calls them "Bride Nails" because in his mind: No one has real nails that look like that....oh, except Brides. Their nails always look like that. No matter where we travel, he can always pick out the newlyweds on their honeymoon!!

I have nice natural nails and for a cruise I prefer a neutral color on my nails or just a clear and Bright Red or bright Coral on my toes!!

My husband, who really gives two hoots about nail polish, ALWAYS notices a French Manicure....BUT not in a good way! He calls them "Bride Nails" because in his mind: No one has real nails that look like that....oh, except Brides. Their nails always look like that. No matter where we travel, he can always pick out the newlyweds on their honeymoon!!

That's funny. My husband calls them Long Island nails because the look is very "Lawn Giland" as opposed to NYC. :D

A co-worker of mine lived in Paris for a year...she told me that French women she knew would never wear a "French" manicure.

I think it depends on the length of the finger and the natural nail bed, although long nails are definitely "out".

Never in a million years would I get a French pedi, to me it only looks like the person really needs to trim their toenails.

Mine are a little like the second pic only a bit shorter, not many people guess that I don't have these nails naturally, I think because they are short. They are gel and last two weeks between fills, I love them.

My toes are whatever color I happen to choose the day of the pedi.

Archived