Winging it in the Bahamas - Any Suggestions

dtownjbrown

Me and BFF will be cruising to Freeport & Nassau in December and need suggestions on what to do/see/go,etc. We've never been to the Bahamas and most of our vacation travels have been to cities like Vegas, Atlanta or NYC. To complicate matters, neither of us are good swimmers (i.e. can "only" float or doggy-paddle & require life jackets most of the time:o). Additionally, while we do like to relax by the pool every now and then, we cant really say that we're avid beach-worshippers (but that could be because we havent really been to many).

That being said, I dont think we'll be booking any excursions or paying big bucks to gain access to any private beaches or waterparks. Instead, we'd rather "see" the islands and just play it by ear. Any suggestions on some places we should checkout, things we could do and places we might want to eat. We will only be in Freeport from 8am-4pm but are scheduled to be in Nassau overnight (so dancehall or nightclub suggestions would be greatly appreciated). Thanks :D

Hi- In Nassau, you can see a great deal in town by doing a walking tour, if you like that- or you can take the water taxi to Atlantis and just walk around there.

Our least expensive day in Nassau was when we went to the British Colonial Hilton, then the Pirate's Museum, then shopping on Bay St.- all within walking distance of the pier.

Hi, I've been trying to plan what to do in those ports too. I came across a thread a while ago about a walking tour, like April mentioned, that someone did in Nassau. They included a bunch of pictures, so you could see if it might be something you'd be interested in. Also, the link they gave to the walking tour is still good but not the link to the map that goes along with it. So here is a new link to the map - http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/251_walkingtourhistoricnassau.jpg

Hope this helps!

Hi, I've been trying to plan what to do in those ports too. I came across a thread a while ago about a walking tour, like April mentioned, that someone did in Nassau. They included a bunch of pictures, so you could see if it might be something you'd be interested in. Also, the link they gave to the walking tour is still good but not the link to the map that goes along with it. So here is a new link to the map - http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/251_walkingtourhistoricnassau.jpg

Hope this helps!

WOW...thanks alot!!! This will really help (I love maps :D).

After reading some of the older posts in this forum (and by older I mean circa 2004/2006), we're planning to ride the $1 jitney to Cable Beach while making a couple stops along the way.

FIRST STOP: To the British Colonial Hilton to buy a $20 day pass to use their pool, facilities, beach, etc. According to this map, it looks like its within walking distance of the pier http://www.bahamasgp.com/islp-map-nasscomm-w.html#

SECOND STOP: Sample some "local" cuisine by having lunch at one of the many restaurants in Arawak Cay Fish Fry district.

THIRD STOP: People watching, beach hopping & coconut shell drinking (LOL) at one of the many hotels along Cable Beach. Ive read good things about the Wyndham so we might even buy a $15 day pass if they're still offering it (Ive heard different things about the price) http://www.bahamasgp.com/islp-map-cable-e.html

FOURTH STOP: Head back to the pier but stop for some more local cuisine in Arawak Cay Fish Fry district (if the food is as good as people are saying, we will probably have dinner here too)

FIFTH (and final) STOP: Back to the cruie ship to get dressed for some late-night clubbing at Senore Frogs (unless we get some better "party" spots suggestions throughout the day).

Archived